Our June

"Are you enjoying your summer?"

As a teacher I feel like I might get asked this question more than most. Constantly-people I know, strangers even, tend to see me with my four kiddos in tow and ask me this question. I have always said yes and plan to forever shake my head enthusiastically up and down, but I swear this summer I have really meant it more than most. 

I have loved our June. Loved it. Loved it. I have loved getting up early and running, Theo morning cuddles, and making egg sandwiches on repeat. I have loved quiet time with my Bible, hearing the kids belly laugh back in the boys' room, and Brooks and Dunn jam sessions. I have loved staying home, being caught up on laundry, and being easily talked into "doing something". I have loved our daily trec trail walks, swimming, and swimming some more. 

Going into this summer, I was hoping for this long list of loves. I intentionally said no to a lot of extra things to leave a little room for these yeses in our busy-as-it-is-already summer. Good move me. The older I get the more I realize that a little margin in life in turn makes for a lot of wonderful memories.

Because I have loved it, I don't want to forget it. So here it is: Our June

Our family spent the very first weekend in June seperated. Emery, Bennett, Theo and I headed to Peoria to watch our Bulldogs play dominate at State. Added bonus of the trip was a sleepover at Kaci's! Highlights of the weekend: time with my best friend, Chic-fil-a and Target (2x), Theo getting a foul ball (that didn't leave his side for the next few weeks), and a rain delay turned one crazy late night we will never forget. I hope my three remember cheering the boys on to a victory!While we were in Peoria, Doug and Auggie were in Baltimore celebrating Doug's nephew and godson's high school graduation with Aunt Vicki and Grandma and Grandpa. To say that Auggie was excited to fly and get some only child treatment would be an understatement. He loved flying, playing spike ball with the big boys and getting to tell us about everything he did. We were so glad that it worked for the boys to make this trip!Father's Day weekend brings us one of our favorite long weekends of the year. 20 kids and 11 adults pack into two cabins down in Southern Illinois and enjoy the sweet slowness that life has to offer down there. We eat yummy food, we swim and float, we fish, we go on side by side rides, we walk the creek and catch crawdads, we go looking for deer, we share a glass(es) of wine, we sing songs, and we laugh...a lot. Until next year.  While our days have been fairly free, our evenings not so much. June is baseball season. You know you go to the ballpark a lot when the first thing your youngest asks every morning is: Are we going to a baseball game today? Auggie has enjoyed both park district and travel ball this year; Doug and I are proud of his good attitude and the confidence he found towards the end of the season. Each season gets more and more fun with this kid. Our regular routine and days have been my favorite this summer. I learned a few years ago that I am a much better mother if I get up early to run and get a start on my day. It also helps that my kids like to sleep in and be slow and sweet in the mornings. About every other day you can find us at home. Kids play board games or I swear just sit in the boys' room and make each other laugh. Theo and I (and sometimes the rest of the crew) go to the trec trail, Emery reads and plays the piano, Aug and B ride bikes to the neighbors, I accomplish a few to-dos. The other days are set aside to do "something" as my kids say. Usually that something is swimming-with friends, at the lake, and of course at the Newton pool. This schedule leaves us ready for bed by the end of the day but also rested and restored for whatever the next day brings. Em and I ended June with a Girl's Trip to Pawhuska, Oklahoma with Nana, Aunt Linda and Dora. The Oklahoma countryside and ranches were beautiful, the bison and wild horses were interesting (and also beautiful), downtown Pawhuska and The Mercantile were cute, getting to stand in the same kitchen as Red Drummund was neat, the food (so much yummy food) was absolutely delicious, Buc-ee's was busy, and the memories made will last. When I was Em's age I went to Dresdon, Ohio to Longaberger headquarters with my Mom, Aunt Linda, Dora and my Grandma. I loved getting to tag-a-long with the women of my family; I am so grateful that God gave me one daughter to now experience those tag-a-long moments with.  

I missed my boys while I was gone. Auggie even told Doug that he missed Emery. Emery on the other hand claims she did not miss anyone. (HA). Em and I got home Saturday night and Doug and Aug left for St. Louis Sunday morning to finish the month off with a Cardinal Game and Top Golf Boy Day. (Maybe in July I will see a bit more of my husband's cute face). They had the perfect day and so did I catching up on my Bennett and Theodore time. 

Whew. I love June. Don't get me wrong, July is great and many other months have their perks.

But nothing beats a June. This June. Our June. 














 





























































Comments

Popular Posts