An Itty Bitty Miracle

She may be itty bitty, but she has already made an impact in this world and in my family in a BIG-BIG way.  My niece, Jordyn Leigh Hunsaker, was born on June 1st to Austin and Kelsey. She weighs 2 lbs 15 oz and is 15 in long. I could not be more in love. She has a head full of black hair and is the most perfect little miracle and fighter.

Jordyn wasn't suppose to be here until July 24th, but she and God must have had other plans. They have actually been full of surprises. Besides being a big surprise to our family in general, we all thought baby girl was going to be a baby boy.  Her Mommy, Kelsey, had been in the hospital for a week with horribly high blood pressure. After doing a few more sonograms....baby boy turned into a baby girl! Kelsey was able to keep this baby girl baking for a little while longer, but on Saturday we got the scary call from Austin that she was coming.
Kelsey was whisked away for an emergency c-section and Austin was by himself. I cannot imagine being either of them at that point, but I am so so proud of both of them. Praise God that Austin finally received good news about Mommy and Baby. My family was on pins and needles waiting for any news at all....we finally received a text I will never forget. "She is here and she is breathing on her own!" Later Austin texted me that he had gotten to touch her....None of us could get to the hospital fast enough to see everyone.

When I was finally able to see her, I fell head over heels in love. She was amazingly small, but amazingly strong at the same time. Austin then told us her name....Jordyn Leigh. If the water works were not already going, they were gushing now. The name Jordyn Leigh (spelled Jordan) holds a very special place in my family's heart. My Mom and Dad lost twins the year before I was born. They were a girl and a boy, Jordan Leigh and Caleb Lee. My brothers and I have always held these twins close to our hearts and wondered what it would have been like to have another brother and sister. I also know how special these two were to my Mom and Dad. They struggled for years to have any of us and have made sure to share their memories of Jordan and Caleb with us. They have been through the scariness of having babies early, and Kelsey and Austin's experience has hit close to home for them. Naming this little miracle Jordyn Leigh truly shocked my parents. Her name honors them and the twins at the same time. Such a perfect name:)


My family stayed the night at the hospital and checked on Jordyn first thing in the morning. She had her eyes open (I wasn't quick enough with the camera....) and was all fluffy and clean after her first bath. She also no longer had the tubes in her nose which meant her breathing had stayed strong on its own. She had already changed so much!


I cannot get enough of her fluffy head of hair! I know Kelsey is just like me and cannot wait to get a bow on her!

I also cannot wait for my little girl to meet her cousin a.k.a new best friend!








Kelsey sent me this picture this morning. Notice there are NO tubes at all on her little face. She is breathing and eating well on her own. Her purple paci kind of shows you just how small she is. (You would think they would make preemie ones....I guess she will grow into it!)

Mommy and Daddy both got to hold her last night...which I am extremely jealous of (ha!) but I know I will get my turn. Everyone is feeling better with each day passing and we need to continue to pray for more good news. She has a little ways to go, but we are so so lucky that she and Kelsey are doing so good.

Aunt Ashley love you bunches Jordyn and cannot wait to see you again soon!



Comments

  1. Thank you so much Ashley for putting this on your blog. She truly is a miracle from God. I am so thankful that Kelsey is doing so good. She has been so brave and strong through all this and Austin has really been a rock for her even though it has been terribly hard on him too. I also love her name and think that it was so great for Austin and Kelsey to pick this special name. Can't wait until BJ gets here now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts