The Ouchie

Yesterday started just fine. Emery has fallen into a lovely summer schedule and didn't wake up until a little before 9am....what a great way for this Mommy to start off a Monday right!?!

We had a breakfast date with Nana at work, walked around Aldi for our weeks groceries and went and saw my new classroom. Came home, took a two hour nap (Em, not me) and decided it was time to make supper for Daddy.
 
While I cooked, Emery decided to play a little "The Floor is Lava" game. Where ever she dragged the lid, that is where she would sit or stand. 
It's not like she doesn't have any new toys to play with or anything.......
I often wonder what is going on in that little cute head of hers!
 
 Daddy came home, supper was almost finished and things got a little busy. That is when The Ouchie occured.

I thought Doug had Em and he thought I was done getting in and out of the oven (checking on my burning meatballs, not-done potatoes and cold corn--Has anyone mastered getting every dish done at the same time??) Well I wasn't done in the oven and Miss Emery decided to crawl up beside me and have a look too. Doug yelled my name and when I looked beside me there she was...little hands on the inside of the oven's door. As I scooped her up the tears came (from her and me). She was so so upset. I know she just wanted me to make it all better and was so confused as to why the pain wasn't going away. Doug and I tried everything to calm her down and finally some milk (of course) and a little outside breeze helped.
  
Nana came to the rescue because she knows a lot about burns (and that is just who you call when you are a new Mom and just messed up bad) and we ended up taking Em to the Doctor's office that was open for 30 more minutes. We got there with 10 minutes to spare and they were nice enough to see her. She has a second degree burn on three fingers on her left hand. Poor poor girl. After a quick trip to Wal-mart we were stocked with bandage wraps and medicine. Emery did so good at the Doctor and started using her right hand more (the girl is left handed we think.) She even ended up playing yesterday evening and slept through the night.

 
Today we decided it would be best to keep her busy (aka not crawling around all day) so we went shopping. Note to self: Shopping with Nana and Gigi equals a very spoiled little girl:)
The above picture is a girl with a "Motrin" smile haha. Her burn was not red anymore this morning but the blisters just look so painful on her little fingers. I so wish that I could just take her pain away.

As we sat at Wal-mart last night waiting on her medicine, I was still teary-eyed. This accident just reminds me how quickly something painful or bad can happen. We did nothing wrong really....just trying to do too much at once I guess. I sat there and thought about Em being in pain and me not being able to take it away. Ugh....this Mommy stuff can be hard.

BUT then my wise husband said something so so true. After asking me if I was okay and reassuring me that Emery was okay, he said that if this is the worst we have been through with our daughter or if this is as bad as it gets for us, we are very very blessed. We have a very happy-very healthy little girl who has an "ouchie" (which just happens to be Emery's new word haha) and we are in fact too blessed. My heart goes out to any family that has had to go through more than just a small burn. You are much stronger than I think I could be.
That night I prayed for quick healing but I realized that really I needed to thank God. Thank him for not letting the burn be any worse, thank him for a tough little girl, and thank him for just being so good to us! I love my little sock-handed lady, my oh-so-wise husband (he will love that new name) and my life.

We go to the Doctor for a check up on Thursday so until then I think I will just baby my baby...
Because ouchies are no fun!



Comments

  1. Emery was such a trouper today with her sore hand. She was very protective of it. Praise God as you said that it wasn't any worse than it was. I agree you and Doug are very blessed and Em is so blessed to have you two as her mommy and daddy. GiGi and PaPa love you all so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts