Our Top Ten Moments of 2014

2014 has been a year of great big changes for this Jansen family. From living without Doug way back in March to wishing our baby girl a happy first birthday to celebrating our last Christmas as a little family of three, we have grown closer and stronger (and happier). Here is a look back at our top ten moments: 

#1-Doug’s New Job-March 14, 2014
Last year, when Emery was just a newborn, we decided we had to move home. Family is very important to us and we wanted what was best for our daughter. We decided the first big step towards moving home was Doug getting a job. Our prayers were answered more quickly than we had anticipated. Doug received a job at Heartland Dental in Effingham doing what he actually went to school to do. He enjoyed his job right from the start and it has only gotten better. Em and I love seeing him doing something that makes him happy-this job has been a blessing to our family! But with the new job came some hard times which leads us to number two.

#2-A Long Distance Relationship-March 14, 2014 to June 4, 2014
They say distance makes the heart grow fonder and I couldn’t agree more. Because I was still in the middle of a school year, I had to stay behind in Morton as Doug moved back in with his parents to start his new job. Living without my husband was hard enough so there was no way I was not going to have Emery stay up north with me. We lived for the weekends back then and I made many teary eyed three hour drives. It was hard for me but I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for Doug. I wonder how many hours we spent talking on the phone or how many Emery pictures I sent Doug….I know we took a “Good Morning Daddy” picture every morning. At the end, Em and I were living out of a suitcase and shared a room with a pack’n’play and an air mattress. It made more sense for Emery to live with Doug for those last couple of days of school. Heardest-thing-ever. I think because of those couple of days, I really struggle with being away from Emery longer than the school day. Let’s move on to number three before I get teary eyed thinking about it!
 

 #3-Sold! Packing it all up-May 17, Leaving our first house-May 29
The next big step in moving home was selling our cute little house. God also provided for us here---we sold the house in less than a week! On May 17 our families, along with a very large trailer, packed us up and moved us home. Because Doug was living down south most of the packing was left up to me—good thing my Mom is excellent with packing tape! We could not have done the move without our family—this was the third big move in three years—we owe our helpers a lot! Do not worry, the next move will be much easier! Like I said in number two, Emery and I lived in the empty house for another week.  It is surprising how little we needed to get by! On May 29th, I left our little house for the last time. I think if Doug had been there I would have been a bawling mess—I loved out first house. That is the house we brought our daughter home to. But all I was thinking about that day was what was ahead for us. I was ready to be a family of three living under the same roof!
#4-Our Summer
Our summer was so so fun. Even though Em was born the summer of 2013, this past summer was our first real summer together. My favorite part was getting to be with my baby girl everyday-we fell into the perfect routine of playing, cuddling, napping and playing some more. Other top memories of the summer are swimming, Holiday World, Em's first hair cut, and a Cardinal's game. So many fun memories....and they only get me more excited for the summers to come!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And I had to add this picture to the summer recap-the ouchie. Having a sock-handed baby girl was no fun, but it taught us to slow down and showed us how easily accidents can happen. It also reminds us of how blessed we are-little ouchies heal and I am sure it will not be our last.

#5-Happy First Birthday!-July 16, 2014
Emery's first year of life has been the best year of Doug and I's lives. She has brought us so much joy and love so of course her big day would be one of our top moments of the past year. I remember her birthday perfectly-we started out with balloons and a donut- every one year old's dream ha! Doug made our day extra special by surprising us with Mommy and Mini flowers--because Emery's birthday is also our anniversary. July 16th truly is my most blessed day! The weekend after her birthday, family and friends gathered to wish our girl a happy birthday. The day was just perfect. Birthdays are so fun--Doug and I want to make each one special so there will be more balloons and donuts in the future!
 
 
 
 
 
#6-New Job, New Babysitter, New Normal-August 11, 2014
On August 11th our summer came to a close and it was back to work for me and back to a new babysitter for Emery. This is where the Lord stepped in again and blessed me with a great new job teaching at Aspire High School and blessed Emery with an awesome new babysitter and a whole new bunch of friends. As much as I do love the summer, I also like a schedule and it didn't take long for Doug, Em and I to figure out what works for us. One of the best parts about living back here is how much more time I get to spend at home with Em. In Morton I was driving 45 minutes to the babysitters and school--that meant not leaving school until 3:45 and getting home a little before 5. Ugh. Now Em and I can be home by 3:30--that rocks!!
 
#7-Our Fall
Just like our summer, our fall was filled with so many fun memories. When I think about our fall, I think about being outside. Emery went to her first Newton Football game, she sat by the fire out at the lake, she played ball with her Daddy, she picked her first pumpkin, she went trick-or-treating--all in the beautiful fall weather.
 
 
 
 
 
 
#8-And Then There Were Four
One of the biggest moments of 2014 is the news of our growing family. On November 11th we shared our news with the world. We will soon be a family of four and Emery will soon be the best big sister. 2015 will be so different...our joy and love will be doubling!
 


#9-Miss Lola-November 16, 2014
Our countdown would not be complete without this little furry monster. She is cute---but do not let her fool you...she kind of is a little monster ha! Lola's favorite pastimes include eating Emery's toys, making her mad, sharing her snacks, and finally at the end of the day giving in and cuddling. They still have a love-hate relationship--but they both also have some growing up to do.
 
 

#10-The Hap-Happiest Season of All-Christmas 2014
We have to finish the list with our Christmas. We thought Christmas was so fun last year with a five month old....we had no idea how much happiness a one and a half year old could spread at this time of year. She loved every part of it. Emery reminded us that it really is not about the presents (seeing as how she unwrapped one new gift and than went and played with an old toy ha!) but about love and thankfulness-and after making this list, I am reminded of how much I have to be thankful for!
 


So there you have it, our top ten moments in 2014. I hate to say goodbye to 2014 but I cannot wait to see what 2015 has in store!

Happy New Years!



Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this blog. Have so enjoyed looking back on your 10 best moments. Of course your best moments were what made up part of our best moments. How excited we were when got the news your family was moving home and we would be able to see Em grow up and spend time with you all. Now here we are with the great news starting out for 2015 of Baby Jansen #2 !! God truly is good --- all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts