Just So I Remember....

Emery’s bedtime is my new favorite time. Not because I can then clean up the supper mess, or take a shower, or finally sit down for the evening. And yes, don’t get me wrong, I love picking her up after school and playing with her and talking to her about her day—those are all favorites too. But her new bedtime routine is so special to me. It is my new favorite time because it is the sweetest, quietest, most caring time of our day together.

Em has always been a rock-star sleeper. Even with her new room and twin bed, we have had no troubles. There has been a little bit of a change lately….she has become our little procrastinator. Sometime during the evening, jammies go on. Around 8 we start getting quieter…cuddling on the couch, reading books. And at 8:30, Emery is all about a sippy of milk and her Daddy’s lap. When it is empty, SHE has to be the one to put it in the sink. “Emmy do it.” And then the three of us are hand in hand (or she wants carried by Dad) back to her room. Not a fast process, but I really try not to rush her. Life is already hurrying past us—I have realized I do not have to help it along.

In her room is where the real procrastination starts. Emery has to say “Night night” to everythingggggg in her room. As in “Night bows, night diaper, night baby Emmy (her newborn pictures on the wall)” she will even throw in a “Night night door” from time to time. Doug and I just try to stifle our laughter and take it very seriously like she is. Finally it is Night night to Doug and I. Em gives the best “squeezes” to me and then Doug and then me again and then all three of us have to squeeze at the same time. The hugging could go on for days. A big kiss for Mommy and big kiss for Daddy, and she lays down….and then sits right back up. Wait….you are probably thinking, “I thought you said she went to bed, no problem.” And she does. You see the reason her bedtime is my new favorite time is the reason she sits back up in bed. She asks me to lay down with her. She moves over, pats her pillow and says, “Mom, down.” And I do—no question.

We kiss and cuddle in and when I whisper “close your eyes” she does. She rubs her feet together (like her Grandpa Jim, Uncle Austin, and Mom do) and feels her bunny and sleep bear like crazy. Finally I can feel her relax and give in to sleep. And I just stare at her. I lightly kiss her. I smell her (I am sure all Moms smell their kiddos). And thank God for these moments. I love that I am a comfort to her. She is an even bigger comfort to me.

I never stay long. Just long enough. And then I comically (because a big round belly and a little twin bed do not mix) get out of bed without waking her up and slip out the door. My favorite time of the day is over. Until the next night and the next and hopefully forever.

It is moments like these that they do not tell you about before you become a Mom. You hear about the sleepless nights, the stress, the mess, and the silly things your kids will do. Or even if they do tell you you will fall in love, they do not tell you how big that love will be and how fast you will fall.

One thing people will say is how fast it goes. Blink. Gone. So right now I am so happy to crawl into bed with Emery and spend my favorite time of the day with my favorite girl. And it makes me think about the moments I will have with my son. (Or maybe he will want Daddy to sleep with him….we will see....soon)

This was just for me to remember. And Em can read it too someday. I hope she remembers our time too.

Night night.

Comments

  1. I pray she will remember also. I do not know any more devoted parents than you and Doug. It is such a pleasure to see you both interact with her and she with both of you, and the love and devotion that you share with each other as well as her. Won't be long before you will have baby boy Jansen to share in the love. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts