This is it.

This is it. My last Monday before school starts. And while I do have all of this week to enjoy, reality is I have a lot to do and a schedule to get back to. We run sun-up to sun-down around here in the summer but we also nap and watch movies and take some moments slow. While I of course want that to last forever, Doug and I are secretly excited to figure out our new schedule and get ready for Fall. 
With summer slipping away, we tried to have a little fun everyday this past week.....and cue the recap!
Monday evening was spent at our favorite park with one of Em's favorite friends. These two Jansen girls will be starting preschool together in the fall and I see many many years of fun (and trouble) ahead. When you walk back to the car in the dark and both kids are sweaty and sound asleep when you get home, you know it was a great summer night.
Early Tuesday morning I got a text from my sister-in-law Kim inviting us to the local fair that night. Two seconds later I got a text from Doug asking what I thought about taking the kids to the fair. Ha! I guess it was a sign we needed to go! 
This picture right here pretty much sums up the night. It was the muddiest mess. My blonde must have been showing when I put Em in her new light pink sandals and myself in my new peach pants. We were able to save the sandals...my pants not so much.
The kids really did have fun though. Em rode a few rides with her cousins, Auggie was a trooper and people watched and we rewarded ourselves with fried candy bars. So maybe worth the ruined peach pants. 
 
Wednesday we hit the road early with Nana and Hannah--headed for the Terre Haute Children's Museum. I love this little place. Not too far, not too big, not too expensive, not too busy.
I was so excited to take Auggie here. Last year we went when he was a month old and my Mom sat and held him while I chased Emery around. What a difference a year makes! My plan for the day was just to let him go. And that is exactly what he did! 
Emery loved it all of course. She loves pretend so the kitchen and grocery store were favorites but she also spent a lot of time milking the cow. We could do that at home, Em! You will have to ask Grandpa Sammy for some tips! 
I love this comparison. Boy dress up vs. girl dress up. Aug wasn't impressed and was a whirl wind in the construction site and I think Emery would have been a Doctor (like Aunt Kaci) the whole day. 
We ended the day this year much like we did last year except this time I held my not so little baby boy and Emery played like the big girl she is. He ran and played for so long he could not keep his eyes open. Fine by me! I am thinking we might go back this winter and take Daddy with us.
Thursday and Friday were a bit different for us this week--I had a workshop for school both days so Nana and Hannah entertained. Heading back Thursday evening, I came across the picture on the left of Emery. When I saw it I could not get over how much it looked like a little boy I know. Cover up the pigtails and you have Auggie! I have never really thought they look that much alike....I guess I was wrong.
Friday night we were all ready to just stay home. Doug ran and got some pizza and we spent the night watching the Olympic opening ceremony. Emery actually laid on the floor like that for awhile and seemed to be interested....Aug was up and moving right after I snapped this. It is totally monkey-see monkey-do at our house right now. Doug and I both have fond memories of watching the Olympics when we were young so I am excited to cheer on the USA with the kiddos. Em was confused though....we tried explaining that we wanted to cheer on USA because that is where we live. Her answer: "Nooooo...we live here in our house!" We couldn't argue with that. Maybe she will get it in 2020.
Not going to lie. On Saturday I slept. Doug got up with the kids so I slept in (thank you!) and then when Auggie laid down for a short morning nap, I did the same. That afternoon both kids went to sleep at the same time for big naps....and I did the same again. Why not!?! I felt like it was the last day I could justify doing nothing, so that is what I did. And I do not regret it ha!
I woke up just in time to curl my hair a little and meet Sharon for a girls night--dinner and a movie! We laughed and cried and had a really great night. Can't wait to do that again!
Douglas was in charge of these two sillies so he decided to brave supper out and some park play. I was told that Emery said she missed me "a little but not that much" and both were fast asleep when I got home. Thank you Doug for a kid-free night! 
Sunday was "Baby" Hannah's second birth party. Em calls Hannah Jansen "Baby Hannah" and our other one "Big Hannah"--can't get them confused! We went to church in Grove (where I had to walk Auggie to the back about four times because sitting is a no-go) and then we partied the afternoon away. I have said it many times---but Em LOVES her cousins. I am so so happy that she gets to grow up in this family.
Kids fell asleep on the way home so doing what any smart parent would do, Doug and I got ice cream and cruised around town to ensure okayish naps. We came home, made messes (some days I am amazed at how quickly it can look like I have never picked up my house ever) and thought we were in for the night. But in true us fashion, we couldn't sit still for long. Braved an Aldi and Walmart run and made it home just in time for bed. 

Today is go time. I am going to do a quick clean of the house, shop for school supplies and try to knock a few things off of the ol' to-do list. I am going to try my hardest to get tons done while also enjoying our last week of summer.

Here is to a great Monday and a great week!






Comments

Popular Posts