Easter 2017

The following pictures will be proof that we had a wonderful Easter weekend. We all got to do exactly what we wanted to do. Emery got to dye eggs at Aunt Kaci's, blow bubbles with a buddy and play all day with her cousins. Auggie got to go to the zoo, hunt for eggs and play outside from sun up to sun down. And Doug and I got to watch. And we got to thank our risen Savior for every second with our little blessings.
Nana and I thought Thursday would be the perfect day to explore at the St. Louis Zoo. Emery has been a couple of times (she swears she hasn't) but we knew she would love it. We were most excited to take Auggie for the first time. He is an animal nut and I couldn't wait to see his reaction.
Daddy told Em to take a picture with the Giraffe so of course she did. For a while she said that the Giraffe was her favorite but then we saw a Mommy and Daddy Lion and she changed her mind.
August Samuel loved the goats the most. (But if you asked him what his favorite was he was quick to say COWS....even though we saw no cows.) When we saw the goats, he walked in, grabbed a brush and sat right down next a goat. I thought he was going to kiss him he loved him so much!
I honestly think for the rest of the zoo he saw a lot of grass and rocks haha. We would point up and say "Oh Auggie look at the monkey!" and he would point out the grass or the water. Oh well. The boy was happy. He did spot every butterfly within reach. The sign says no touching and I think he pinched at least four beautiful butterflies!
My girl was such a big girl. She loved petting the guinea pig and did exactly what the zoo keeper told her to do. Two fingers and gently! The zoo keeper even told all of the other rowdy kids what a good job that little girl was doing. Em's eyes lit up. She loved waving from the train and was always thirsty.
Auggie Boy was just in heaven. He was outside and got to see animals--two of his favorite things.
His little legs walked a million miles and he was asleep in the car before I put it in reverse.
I know Nana loved it. She spoils my kids rotten and already wants to go back. Thank you for taking us Nana!
Think I can get them to recreate this picture every year?
I just love them.
Em declared Friday as Egg Day! She had been asking to color eggs with Aunt Kaci for weeks and color eggs she did! Two dozen! Auggie lost interest after about two and needed to go see the cows but Em sat and colored forever. Now what do I do with all of them?
I love this tradition and hope it works to color eggs with this family every year!
That evening we headed to Hidalgo for our first Easter celebration. We blew bubbles all evening and sat outside enjoying the weather and the company.
Saturday was Easter at our house. After a big yummy lunch it was time to head outside to hunt eggs and fly kites. Em actually rocked at kite flying (even better than Uncle Austin!) I remember flying kites on Easter when I was little so it was fun seeing Em do it. 
Auggie turned into a pro-egg finder. He would hook his basket into the crook of his elbow and take off with a big smile on his face. We have enough candy to fill eggs for next year....
Now when he asks for a snack and I say what kind he smiles and yells "Chocolate!"
Sunday was Jansen Easter. We save the biggest for last! On the way there Em was asking what cousins would be there. When I started listing people off she stopped me and said, "So everyone that I love will be there!?!" Yes, Em. Everyone you love! I barely saw her because she was busy with the big girls and she did NOT want to leave.
I barely saw Auggie either. One second I would see him playing ball with the big boys, the next second he was being carried around by a niece and the next second he was with Grandpa Sammy. And he loved every second.
Yesterday the kids and I just enjoyed each other (and our naps). I swear one minute August Samuel wants to hold Em's hand and give hugs and the next minute he is stealing her toys or trying to kick her. He has the orneriest twinkle in his eye and I am just obsessed with it. Emery seems to be so so big all of a sudden. So smart and sweet. D got her some new books for Easter and she is determined to learn to read them. 

At Easter I just can't help but think about what Jesus went through for me and for Doug and for my children. That he was willing to die for us. On Thursday I was lucky enough to get my feet washed at church and I just cried. I tried to picture being there in the upper room. The feeling of unworthiness washed over me and I couldn't help but cry tears of thankfulness. I am thankful for Jesus's humility and servanthood. That he would want to wash a sinner like me's feet. 
As a parent I now think about God the Father. He knew the hurt his son was going to have to go through. I hate to see Em or Aug even have a cold. But that is how much he loves us. That is a love that I sometimes have a hard time even coming close to comprehending. But am I so grateful for it.

And in the sweet words of Emery after school last week: "They went to check on him and the stone was rolled away. Jesus wasn't there!" Doug and I told her she was right! That we serve a risen Savior who hears our prayers and loves us unconditionally. 
I hope everyone else enjoyed their Easter weekend. I know we did!

Comments

Popular Posts