Those Last Summer Days....

Technically this is our final week of summer. The kids and I are headed to see friends today, later this week we have some fun planned with Nana and the kids are going to go spend one more day at their favorite place, Grandma and Grandpa's. And then it will be Monday..... 
But before I even think about that, I have got to recap our past week. It was such a good one. Well I should also list the bad moments...I dropped threw my phone in the toilet, I about kicked Auggie out of the house because he is impossible and Doug and I made both kids cry all evening because we wouldn't take them to the park. It was their own fault....they would NOT pick up toys. Thought about throwing out all the toys along with Auggie. 
But we breathed and said sorrys and did better the rest of the week. Oh and I bought a new phone. 
On Wednesday we got to celebrate GiGi and PaPa. They have been married 60 years. 60! My brothers and I will forever be thankful for these two. They have always been there and always will be. And now Em and Aug get spoiled by them. They never ever arrive without a cookie and I love to watch them watch my babies. Auggie only wanted a picture with PaPa because he loves him. GiGi will be standing there with open arms for a hug and he will run right past her to see what PaPa is doing.
But Emery wanted her picture with GiGi. I think the girl knows that she has her wrapped around her little finger. I have so many great memories with my grandparents and I am glad that Em and Auggie do too. We are pretty lucky!
On Thursday the kids and I grabbed Nana and headed for Champaign. Usually we are shopping for the kids but not this time...third trimester belly plus beginning of school equals lots of try-ons for this Momma. 
I don't like trying on clothes when I am not pregnant let alone now. Luckily we found a few key piece and I won't have to wear leggings and and my tie-dyed t-shirt to school. 
This little boy right here. Man I love him but man he can also drive me crazy. He very quickly reminded me of why I don't bring him shopping. It isn't that he throws fits or is awful...he is just Auggie. He just wanted everything, asked a million questions, sang at the top of his lungs and he might have talked Nana into buying him goldfish at Target while we were shopping. I remember (before I was a mom) saying I would never allow my child to buy something and eat it in the store. HA. The kid ate half the bag while commenting on everything I tried on. Next year I will be leaving him and his little brother behind!
Friday was one of the best days of the whole summer. I had mentioned in passing that I only had two more weeks of break left and Doug's ears perked up. Only two more weeks? He said he had meant to take a few days off here and there to do stuff with us but that summer had kind of slipped day. And to that I said, "How about Friday?" So he took off Friday and we headed to St. Louis. Our plan was to go to Grant's Farm in the morning and then head to the mall to go to "The Disney World Store" as Em calls it. It was gorgeous out and as we got close to Grant's Farm we realized everyone else in the entire world thought it was a good day to feed goats too. We would have been in traffic for well over an hour and the line of people that we could see waiting to get in.....yikes. We decided we would head to the mall first, eat lunch and then try again.
Our plan worked out perfectly.
A few years ago we took Em to the Disney Store in the mall and to her it was the greatest place on earth. She called it Disney World and we let her think that. Much cheaper that way haha. She has since caught on that there is a far more magical (and expensive) place on earth but she was still pumped to go there. She even got to take a little bit of birthday money. Doug and I were more excited to see Auggie's reaction. It was like watching Emery when she was two. He loved it all and couldn't take it all in fast enough. The boy likes him some ball...but he also loves a princess. Thanks big sister! 
Em had $10 to spend and at first picked out a little doll just like one she already has. Doug and I had noticed a sign earlier--buy one stuffed character and get one. They were a little more than $10 but we thought if she wanted to "buy" Auggie a toy too, we would help. So we whispered to her that if she picked out one of these toys that Auggie could pick one too. Her face lit up. She is so sweet to him. Em picked out Lady from "Lady and the Tramp" and Auggie immediately found a friend with Lucky from "101 Dalmatians." These four have been inseparable since. The sleep with them, eat with them, ride in the car with them. Lady is Lucky's mommy aka Em is in charge of what they do so it really was the best purchase. After that it was a yummy lunch and a power nap for Auggie. We were eager to try Grant's Farm again. 
This time...no car line at all and the line of people was soooo much shorter. Still lots of people but it never felt too crowded. Our first stop was to see the Clydesdales. The first one we saw had a very familiar name....the kids thought it was funny that a horse had the same name as Uncle Chuck!
Em was by buddy for the day and always wanted to sit by me (which never happens) so I enjoyed that.
Which meant my boys got to be together. Aren't they cute? We saw lots of animals on the ride around the grounds. I could just do that all day. 
Em posing with the Peacocks in the background. I don't think she knew what a Peacock was before this. Later on Auggie ran as fast as he could towards one.....we stopped him before he got to it. You just never know with him haha.
We had to feed the goats. We love goats! Auggie did great until his ornery goat stole the bottle to feed himself. Emery tried feeding one for a second but didn't love all of them crowding around her fighting for her bottle. 
So Douglas to the rescue. He ended up being the goat feeder while the kids just brushed them. The kids decided they like Uncle Terry's goats better....probably because they get them all to themselves. 
Next up was the carousel ride. 
Who ever invited the carousel, I thank you. My kiddos love them. 
After we had checked out everything, the kids got snow cones. Strawberry for Em. Always strawberry. She didn't want to leave and really neither did I. It was so nice. It didn't feel as big and overwhelming as the zoo (I secretly kind of hate the zoo) and we just felt like we got to enjoy each other. Both kids were awesome and it was so nice having Daddy with us. 
One of my favorite views.
Kids were out immediately but only for a short time (note the puppies.) We grabbed a late supper in Collinsville and Auggie talked all the way home while Em watched a movie.
We made it home safely and slept in. We still had the whole weekend ahead of us!
Saturday night we went out to the farm for a cook out and hayride. Here is Em with all of her favorites (well...minus Ella and Riley.) These girls are going to have so much fun together. They already do. 
And here is Auggie and his buddy. These boys need more boys....good thing I am adding one to the bunch!
It really looked like it was going to pour at anytime so we jumped on the wagon for the hayride (well I didn't jump....I had lots of help climbing on haha.) Em was pumped. Auggie was the opposite of pumped. He lost it. No way was he going on that hayride. Again....you just never know with him. If he doesn't know what he is doing, then a lot of times he isn't going to do it. He is also my dare devil and doesn't think before he does most things. Who knows. Instead he wanted to ride the mule aka tractor so Doug and Uncle Tim followed behind with him. Emery and the girls sang songs and Auggie loved waving at everyone when they would pass us. Two happy kids so I was happy. We stayed wayyyy past our bedtimes but it was worth it. 
We should have just spent the night because after church it was back out to the farm for Hannah's birthday party. Em's favorite gift Hannah got was this tent, she thinks we need one too. She didn't want to leave here either. I am always the bearer of bad news!
After naps (for Auggie and I) the kids and Doug helped me in my classroom for a little bit. Doug really did help....Em and Aug really did not. Doug introduced them to "closets" as Auggie called the lockers and I am now wondering if I can talk them into taking a picture like this every year. 

This really is our last week of summer. I wonder if Auggie senses it because he only wants his Momma. I am trying to soak he and his sister up. I told Doug that I feel like these next 12 weeks (that is when Baby Boy is due) are going to fly by once school starts. He agrees. I am in that weird ready but totally not ready stage. Maybe he needs a name first......

Hope everyone enjoys their week whether it is your last summer one or not! 

Comments

Popular Posts