Little Getaway

Ever since Em and I went on our Girls Getaway, I have been dreaming about a little getaway with my little family. Doug was of course on board, so a month ago we planned a quick trip to St. Louis for this long weekend. Monday would allow us to catch up on sleep/un-pack/get back to normal. We left Saturday morning at 9:30 (goal was 9 so right on time haha) and got back Sunday afternoon. It was quick, full of fun and a weekend I would repeat over and over.
First stop was the Magic House! The kids and I went there this past summer and I remember saying I wanted to go back with Douglas--my other big kid. Emery definetly remembered being there and Auggie surprised us by recalling a few of the exhibits. Bennett was in my belly the last time we went so he enjoyed his first real time. Lots of commotion to watch!
(I will say it was not as packed as it was the last time we went.  Busy enough for me to constantly be saying excuse me while I tried to maneuver my stroller or chase after my Auggie. But really it wasn't bad at all.)
First exhibit we checked out was the Lego Tower one. We are not a Lego family yet but something tells me it is in our near future. The big kids were happy to sit and build and very proud of what they made.
When I look at this picture I can only think of one thing: Germs! I had to just not think about all the snotty kids running around haha. 

Emery and Auggie couldn't wait to do the big slide. I had forgotten that Auggie didn't do the slide last time because it says you need to be three. Well he is still not three.....but nothing was going to stop him from going down this time. And he was going to go first! The second time they went I heard fake-ish crying on the way down and when I got to the bottom Doug explained that he had somehow come out head first...perhaps it was because he was so excited that he JUMPED into the slide instead of sitting calmly. 

Right after we got there Auggie thought he was lost. Doug and I were right there and could see him but I think the people overwhelmed him and he kind of panicked. Doug told him that if he thought he was lost that instead of panicking and running like he had tried to last time that he should stop and slowly spin in a circle to see if he could find us. A little while later I was watching him play something and saw him start to panic because I wasn't right there next to him. But then I saw him slowwwwwly turn around which gave me time to stop right beside him. He just smiled and said "Hi Mommy."
The boy actually listened!!! I was very proud of some of his big boy moments.
We spent a lot of our time in the little village. We fixed the car. Aug and Em both love to play with tools.
And we ate a lot of pizza. Again...germs. Auggie may have actually tried to eat a piece....
Emery loved the arts and craft rooms. She made a jelly fish withe her name on it and a 3D bus. She is my crafter and is getting so big all of a sudden. Auggie just stayed busy. We were there for close to four hours and I am very proud to say that there were no meltdowns. Plenty of "you have to listen's" and "waits" and "hold my hands"....but Doug and I left the Magic House tired because of the fun we had not because of the parenting we had to do. #winning
And B? I told him he was the best behaved the whole trip....and that is saying something because the other two were pretty darn good!
When we got to the hotel the big kids were bouncing off the walls (and bed.) They were pumped about our new "house". At our house one of their favorite past-times is pushing all the covers and pillows off our bed and jumping on it and into the pile. (You might be thinking sarcastically "wow....great parenting" but it keeps them busy and I love hearing the laughter. We haven't broken a bone yet and they don't jump on any other furniture so I think Doug and I are winning again!) Anyway, I just had to laugh at the fact that they did this at the hotel too. Home sweet home.
P.s. I made the realization that I could NOT live in one of those tiny houses that are getting popular these days. I love my babies and my husband.....but I also love my space.
We tried to get the big kids to take a needed nap. HA. What were we thinking?
So after a few failed "get back into bed or we won't go swimming"....we went swimming!

And it is official--Em and Aug are fish!
I would not call Bennett a fish....yet. He did not hate it but he certainly did not love it either.
We swam until we couldn't swim anymore and then went upstairs for some PJs and pizza. 
The kids probably could have gone to sleep after supper but earlier in the day we had mentioned having a movie night. And if you mention a movie night....then you have a movie night. They ate popcorn out of tiny coffee cups and cuddled until their eyelids were extra heavy. 
Doug and I just watched them. 
I think I will always be able to picture this sweet night. I love them so much.

Kids kind of slept in (if you call 7 sleeping in) and after breakfast we hit the pool again. Swimming was probably their favorite part of the whole trip (that and taking turns pushing the buttons in the elevator). Swimming with them just makes me pumped and anxious for the summer. B is going to have to learn to love the water just as much as Em and Aug.
After we packed up (sidenote: How can we be there for one night and still look like we were moving into the hotel for over a week? And I even packed fairly light!), we went across the street to the mall. Nana had given us a little spending money and it was boring a hole in our pockets!
You know we had to stop at the Disney Store aka Disney World! (Emery has recently caught on that this store is not in fact the real Disney World. Kids in her class ruined that one for us.) Auggie saw his Lucky Puppy that he sleeps with every night there and got all excited and asked if he could have one. Doug's response: You already have a Lucky, Buddy. Auggie's response: Oh! Well then nice to see you Lucky!
I don't know what goes on in that cute head of his.
He instead picked out a cool Cars toy. I like it because it has its own storage. I heart storage.
Em fell in love with this Ariel doll right from the start. Since being home and finding her all wet in the bathroom, I know why. My kids love playing in water. And I am fine with that when I want them playing in water....but usually I don't!
And Bennett got a Stitch. The criteria for his toy was cute, cheapish and something he could stick in his mouth since that has become his favorite past time. He loves him. 

After cheeseburgers for lunch we hit the road--and all kids slept the entire time. You know it was a fun little getaway when the only sounds you hear for two hours are three in sync snores.
Doug and I are so glad we took this little trip. The kiddos are easy to please right now and I foresee more of these getaways in our future. 

We are already unpacked and have a whole Monday ahead of us. Have a wonderful week!







Comments

Popular Posts