Bless This Mess

At about 4:06 Sunday morning, as I sleepwalked through changing Bennett's diaper and clothes for the second time in the last hour, something clicked in my head and I was reminded of how blessed I am to have this mess. 

We had a rough week. I had intended to call this blog post "Hot Mess" because that perfectly describes how we all felt about the week. I was going to rant about the laundry and the sickness and the you-can't-make-this-stuff-up moments. But at 4:06 I smiled, really I almost laughed, and all of the blessings of the week flashed before my eyes.
Look at this sad face. This is the face of a very sick boy. Bennett started running a fever along with his bad cold and suspected ear infection way back last Sunday. So we started Monday off with a sick kid, no sleep and a very messy house. I tried to keep him happy through making a healthy supper that night just to have it turn out awful. I swear--every time I try a new recipe it is a big fat fail. Chicken and asparagus....how hard is it to cook chicken and asparagus!?! The big kids continued to make messes on top of messes and at one time Emery was running through the house naked (after having her brother's clothes on), Auggie was laying in the kitchen licking the floor, and Bennett was just crying inconsolable cries. Doug and I just looked at each other and at the same time said "This is our life."
But what a blessing it was that Sue and Sam were free to watch Bennett. They came to the rescue this  week and I don't know what we would have done without them. They happened to be free all week except for Wednesday and guess what....Nana had off Wednesday! It was a blessing to know that he was being loved on and these three helped out so much by running him to doctor appointments or to get medicine. The timing of everything worked out perfectly and I know God had something everything to do with that.
The rest of the week can be summed up with the above picture.
No-one cried over this spilled mac-n-cheese but lots of other things almost brought us to tears. 
By Tuesday night it was clear to us that something was not right with Bennett. He had been put on a stronger antibiotic and the poor boy was in so much stomach pain along with yucky diapers and throwing up everything. It was bad. I called the doctor and pretty much said he was not taking this medicine anymore...thankfully, they agreed. The laundry piles got higher and higher because of Bennett and the amount of sleep got less and less. We could only get him comfy in his beloved bouncy seat so he slept in that right next to me on the couch. I was sore and grouchy by Friday and B was still sick. Thursday evening was a rough one but we can blame that one on Auggie. He decided to push every single one of Doug's buttons and Doug admittedly had zero patience. I think Emery was the only one that wasn't crying or fuming that night. I finished the week off by being late to work on Friday with a dead phone and no coffee. 
See....definition of hot mess.
But what a blessing it was to have Nana watch Bennett at our house on Wednesday so she could help me get caught up on laundry. And she even made supper! Emery was a blessing the whole week. She tried to make B feel better, she entertained Auggie and was quick to pick up. She somehow even knew when I needed a good laugh. On the way home from dance on Tuesday she exclaimed, "Diego better be making us supper!"....do all kids refer to their father by their Spanish name? Doug didn't throw Auggie away like he had threatened to and Aug was actually very good over the weekend. It was a blessing that my fellow English teacher at work could see that I was stressed and texted me Thursday night that she had given me one of her sick days (because I have none) and told me to use it on myself soon. And on Friday, as I sat in Church, I just breathed for what felt like the first time all week and I thanked God for people like her and for the fact that I get to come to church every Friday during school. Friday night Doug switched me and I slept in bed. I felt like a new woman Saturday morning! And by then Bennett was finally turning the corner. 
I was also reminded of what a blessing weekends are. Yay for two days off!
We had plans for Saturday with the big kids and we decided to stick with them. We needed some fun. My Mom's bosses, the Linders, had given us six tickets to see Go Dog Go at the local theatre so we decided to be brave and let Em and Aug invite a friend. Emery invited Katie her cousin and Auggie picked Jase, his buddy from the babysitters. 
We dropped Bennett off with my friend Ammon. Doug and I ran him in and as we were explaining that he is still sickish from the medicine but should be fine, he throws up all over himself. 
Seriously!?! I hurried to find extra clothes in the diaper bag only to discover that I had not packed a single diaper. Seriously!?! For a second I was ready to put him back in the car, take the friends home and call it quits on any and all fun.
But what a blessing Ammon and her boys were. She told her husband to find the baby bath and asked the boys if they would help give B a bath. I swear she turned Bennett throwing up into a good thing. She shooed us out the door and reassured us that everything would be fine. And it was! I owe her!
These sweet girls liked the show but I think liked playing at our house all night even more. 
I love them. I think they both decided that Emery needs to go play at Katie's next time.
These two, regardless of the tongues sticking out, were actually very good! They were antsy by the end of the show and tried to out do each other when it came to stories and silliness...but still very good.  They are buddies at Miss Sharon's and will be in school together....look out world!
We started this Monday healthier and happier than last weekend. Bennett is still not close to 100% but he is better. We are watching him for dehydration and praying for complete healing from whatever the heck has been going on. I think we all feel refreshed from the weekend and we only have a three day work week ahead. We are looking forward to celebrating Easter with friends and family and celebrating our risen Savior--who continues to bless our mess!







Comments

Popular Posts