Life Lately

Not much to report on over here. We have been just been living life--one messy, not long enough, happy day at a time. A lot of times this blog focuses on the special things we do but really these ordinary moments are just as special to me. So this is our life lately.
Per usual, Em is the mother hen, the boss, the brain. She reminds me so much of me--big sis to two little brothers. And while she is the easiest, she is also the sneakiest. I caught her writing on the side of the house in permanent marker, she has decided that going potty outside is more fun than in, she took it upon herself to feed Bennett ketchup at lunch today and she isn't afraid to use a chair to get to whatever she wants in the kitchen. Actually, she has grown so much all of a sudden that she can now reach a shelf that Doug and I used for off-limit items. (But she has taught Aug how to use the chair-climbing approach.) 
And while sassy moments have been prevalent lately, I am reminded so often of how sweet and thoughtful she is. She always wants to make people feel better, she won't let Bennett cry for a second and she always makes sure Auggie is entertained. Lately she has been telling me more about her feelings--what scares her and what she prays for at night. I love knowing what is on her heart. One night it was for Whiskers the neighborhood cat that she has fallen in love with to come back and a couple of nights later it was for children in third-world countries that she saw on a commercial. She worries about people in the world hurting or of bad things happening to us but she feels reassured when she prays about it. This is all new territory for us but to know her brain and heart are working so hard just makes me realize how fast she is growing up. She is starting to ask us all kinds of questions and I just hope Doug and I can answer her the way she needs to be answered. 
Can't believe the girl is almost 5.....I have never had a 5 year old before but I can already tell it is going to be wonderful. 
I know I said that this blog was of nothing really special. I guess I lied because seeing these ladies and their families was something very special! Last weekend we finally got to celebrate Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years and whatever other holiday you want to throw in there. We partied at Sharon and Eric's and had a blast. I think we all voted for barn parties more often. 
We didn't talk about the next time we would get together....but I know it won't be soon enough. 
This was from last weekend too. (But B is napping as I type right now...just not on me.) While laying on the couch with him I realized that I have not cuddled like that much with him. I can blame his siblings and just the craziness that is life right now....but I kind of thought  about how unfair that was to him. This past week I made a point to focus on him in the evenings, to take in that smile as much as I could. He is four months and growing fast! My dishes piled up and you should have seen my house by this morning. Old Ashley would have not let this fly. But new, a little bit more laid back and patient Ashley has enjoyed her babies a little extra lately. 
Friday night was a big night at our house! Bennett tried eating from a spoon and was a pro just like we thought he would be. I loved watching Auggie try to feed him. He either kept the spoon too far away and Bennett couldn't reach it or he was shoving it down poor B's throat. Bath time and now meal time...I have plenty of help! 
Auggie is still just Auggie. He says the silliest things, can spell his first and last name and doesn't listen to a word we say. And I don't know where he gets the energy he has. Lately he calls himself Yadi or Fredbird or Farmer Auggie and has the Cardinal hat and farmer boots to match. 
My favorite little Auggie moment happens on the weekends. He crawls into my bed, puts his arm around me and whispers "I wuv you"(and then he is still for about a minute...before bonking heads with me or telling me to GET UP...it is nice while it lasts.)
This past week we got to see all of the Grandparents. We celebrated Nana's birthday Thursday (Auggie told her we got her a purse.....before we gave her her new purse.) And yesterday we got to see Gigi and Papa, Grandpa Jim, Grandpa Sammy and Grandma Susie AND Grandma Angie.
My kids should be happy because these are all of their favorite people! (and as I type that list I am reminded of how blessed they are to have so many that love them.)

Right now I can hear the big kids playing outside and Bennett is looking out the window. I need to fold laundry and sweep (I'll pay you!) but the rest of the evening will consist of scrounging for supper and long messy baths. Which is just life lately.

Have a wonderful week everyone!


Comments

Popular Posts