Recap

Doing a regular ol' recap today--little moments from our week and weekend that I don't want to forget. Lots of smiles in this one!
Doug was gone earlier in the week. He was gone the week before too. I don't want you to think I am roughing it over here though. Nana pretty much moves in, we eat peanut butter and jellies for supper and we all go to bed early. But we miss Daddy too. You should have seen Bennett Thursday morning when he saw Doug....I have never seen him so excited. What the heck!?! I never get that big of a smile. Not fair. Anyway, Nana bought Em a pair of cleats off the online garage sales for T-ball this summer. She couldn't wait to try them on and told me to send a pic to Daddy.
She also requested an action shot because she thinks she is super fast. And she wants to wear them at all times....I guess they are cute since they are pink....but still, cleats do not go with everything.
Lots happened with this cutie while Doug was gone. He tried sweet potatoes for the first time! Love at first bite! I knew he would love them and I knew he would love to eat when we eat--he always smacks his lips and looks at us like "give me some!". He is the messiest eater ever because of those darn hands of his. They have to be in his mouth at all times--so you put in a bite of potatoes and in goes his hands. I have stopped fighting him and just let him get all messy. I still have it when it comes to making baby food....the questions is will I make all of B's? I made all of Emery's.....most of Auggie's....we shall see about B!

Bennett also decided to roll over like crazy when Doug left. If I put him on his back he would almost immediately be on his belly. At night we swaddle him with his arms down....I realized Monday night that I probably shouldn't do that in case he rolled over. So goodbye sleep sack! I fully expected to not sleep at all but he did pretty good. My boy is a side sleeper and I swear is sleeping better now than when he was swaddled. Good job big boy!
Last week I wrote about scheduling more date nights with Doug. Sharon took me up on that quickly! We went on a double date Thursday night and had the best time. Delicious food at the new brewery in town and checked Gopher's Grill too for a few drinks. I felt like a crazy kid going out on a Thursday (luckily I didn't have to work Friday). Sharon and Eric and Doug and I are also doing a March Madness Bracket competition--loser couple has to buy the winner couple supper.
Where should Doug and I make them take us hehe.....
Friday I lucked into a day at home. All of my students were on retreats so I got to spend the morning with my boys--Em was at school. (We might have overslept and the boys and I stayed in Pjs to take her. We rolled up three minutes late and thankfully her class was still lining up....or I was going to have to walk her in. Day-old mascara, dirty sweatpants and messy bun me. 
While Auggie played/followed me around and Bennett sat happily, I tried to get a few things done around the house. I have been majorly slacking in the household chores department. I vacuumed, swept and did dishes. Only I could tell that any of this actually happened. But it made me happy. 
At one time, Bennett was in his bouncy seat (his happy place) in the front room and I walked back to put something away in the bathroom. When I cam back he was on the floor, happy as can be. My four month old can jump now!?! I decided he must have wiggled down far enough and told myself to make sure I buckle him in next time. Of course an hour later, I put him in his seat (unbuckled) and walked away for a minute. I came back to the same scene. Okay he has done this twice....I really need to buckle him in....

When Emery got home she rushed in to see Bennett. I overheard her ask Auggie what he had done that morning. His answer: Push Bennett out of his seat....like this.....
WHAT! August Samuel Jansen. What am I going to do with him.
Lets all say a little prayer that Bennett takes after Emery.

When nap time rolled around, the plan was for the boys to nap, Em to watch a movie and I needed to conquer the three piles of clean laundry that were piled up in the laundry room.
Bennett went down easy. Aug was wound up and after the third time of getting up, I told him I would lay down with him.
Two hours later we woke up.....oops.
Forget the laundry....I will take a Mommy-Auggie nap any day! 
After my boy-morning, I was excited for my girl evening. Emery and I headed to Newton for dinner and a show! We met up with Nana, Dee Dee, Alayna, Sharon and her mom Kim too. When we were getting ready she came out with two rings on, a random purple hair clip in a very random place and a pumpkin necklace on. Girl after my own heart....but we switched out the pumpkin necklace for a tiny dimond necklace that was mine when I was little and we lost the clip. I let her keep the rings---can't take away all of her fun. 
She was disappointed that it was not a princess musical this year but she liked the tap dancing, the ending and her cotton candy. She had never had cotton candy....and I would have been happy for it to have stayed that way....but it took one bat of her eyelashes to Nana and the girl got a stick of cotton candy bigger than her! She just kind of held it for awhile and when I asked her if she knew how to eat it she just smiled and said nope! She was a sticky mess by the end of the show and she snored all the way home. Both made me smile.

Doug and I might live in Effingham and our kids will someday be Bulldogs, but I realized on my quiet drive home that there are two things we will always go to Newton for. Friday night Newton Eagle Football and the Spring Musical. Some of my favorite memories happened at these events and I love getting to share them with my kiddos now.
Saturday morning we wished Daddy a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 
He treated himself to Joe Sipper coffee and we headed to Hidalgo. My brother Austin just bought a house and he wanted to show it off. His house just made me want to live out in the country and have all the money to redo a house. It is perfect for him and it will keep him busy.
After that we stopped by Gigi and Papa's to visit. We didn't stay long so we decided the game of Old Maid would have to wait. 
Saturday's evening plans were supper just Doug and I and then meet up with some friends and see where the night took us. Those plans kind of worked. Effingham has two new restaurants downtown (we went to one on Thursday with Sharon and Eric) so we wanted to try the other one. So did everyone else in town! Hour wait at that one and an hour and a half wait at the other--how exciting for Effingham!

So we quickly called our friends, told them to meet us for supper in an hour, and we killed time with some wine at the Wine Shop. Troy and Ammon, Dennis and Laura, Chuck and us enjoyed a night of yummy food and friends. Thanks for helping me celebrate Douglas!

Doug and I finished off the night by going to Walmart to buy formula. 
A Mom and Dad's work is never done ha!
Sunday we packed in three baths all before church and still left in time. Go us! After church we went to Island Grove for Jansen Winterfest aka a reason for allllll the Jansens to get together.
I always end up just talking to my brothers and sisters-in-law because I don't even see them enough.
Emery said she was excited to see her cousin Katie and Doug explained that everyone there was related to her. Her big eyes got bigger. Yep--everyone there is lucky enough to call Grandma Angie their grandma!

We spent the rest of the evening playing outside (why can't this weather stay??) and making messes inside. I ran to Walk-mart after the kids went to bed and it might be my new go-to time. So peaceful.

Today is a new Monday. Again! We are pretty sure Bennett has an ear infection and bad cold (again!) so the afternoon is booked with a doctors appointment and haircuts for the kids.
And then probably cuddles (but Doug and I both vowed to pick up the house tonight).

Have a great week everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts