Memorial Day Weekend 2018

We had a wonderful, long weekend away. If I remember correctly, Auggie was Bennett's age the last time we drove up to see Uncle Phil and Aunt Tari. As we drove away Monday morning, we promised ourselves that we would make this trip atleast yearly from now on. We had too much fun not to. 
This was our first time traveling more than a couple of hours with all three kids and it went really well. Bennett didn't love the drive home, but the big kids rocked it. When we arrived on Saturday, Em and Aug quickly became Riley's shadow and this didn't stop for the rest of the trip. She was so sweet with them. On Saturday they did a lot of exploring and rock washing. Riley is probably rolling her eyes that I would call them rocks because they were more than just rocks....but I can't remember what they were called. Em just called them crystals. 
Bennett rolled around outside content as can be and the grown-ups played bags and visited.  
We didn't eat supper until after dark because we were having too much fun just hanging out. Then we went to bed just to get up and do it all over again. Doug and I and the kids all shared a bedroom and I was reminded of two things: Bennett is the nosiest sleeper ever and Auggie is the best morning cuddle bug ever. 
Doug and Phil went golfing (tooooo hot for me) and then watched Bennett so the rest of us could go cool off at the local pool. The pool wiped them out and all three kids ended up taking huge naps when we got back.
Eventually we had to wake everyone up (which just never seems right) because we had some foraging to do!
Phil and Tari live in the coolest place and have a big creek down the hill behind their house so we put on our boots and went exploring. Emery absolutely loved it. I love that my girly girl isn't afraid to get muddy and sweaty. She learned what poison ivy looks like (actually I learned that too) and she even touched a salamander. Auggie on the other hand, struggled. I totally blame his late nap. He wanted to go and have fun yet he also wanted me to hold him...and heaven forbid his boots get wet or muddy. I also think not knowing for sure what we were doing threw him off.  I felt bad but by the end he was brave and did okay. And Bennett loved it.
Now I want to take them down to our own creek!
That night Phil cooked us the best streaks I have had in forever and Auggie's favorite, baked potatoes. He loves them. The rest of the evening was spent with Auggie on the lawn mower, Riley doing Emery's makeup and the grown-ups playing bags again. Doug and I won both days just so you know.
Monday morning we packed up and headed back home. But not without a stop at the U of I of course.
Auggie's birthday is coming right up (I can't believe he will be 3) and he has been asking for an Illini hat. He wears his St. Louis Cardinals hat every single day so we thought a new Illini one was a perfect idea. You should have seen him when we walked into Gameday. He. Went. Nuts. I think the two hour nap on the way helped too. The boy had some energy. He ran around, touching everything and shouting, "Daddy this is Illini!" a million times. Little did he know, everything in the whole store was Illini. He ended with a new hat and a new basketball. This is his basketball pose. I just love him and I don't know if he has ever been so happy. 
Douglas got a new hat too (Happy early Father's Day!) and Auggie loves that they match.
Doug's love for his Alma Mater has only rubbed off a little on the boy....
Speaking of Alma Mater, we had to stop and see her. 
Doug says we will have to recreate these when they graduate from here. Crazy-Auggie smile and all.
After the hot campus tour, we treated ourselves to some frozen yogurt. This was totally up Em's ally. Strawberry everything and lots of sprinkles! We got home and unpacked and I swear I never stopped sweating after the walk in Champaign. Kind of joking/kind of not I said that I was tempted to try out our pool for the first time this year.....and then we couldn't get our suits on fast enough. 
Emery Kayt. She does a mean canonball and is much braver this year. 
August Samuel. He has absolutely no fear and might just be the one that catches onto swimming without floaties the fastest. 
And Bennett Lee. He might be the biggest water lover of them all. He splashed and kicked nonstop....and then went to bed an hour early.

Like I said, we had a wonderful, long weekend. 
Here is to more fun this week!










Comments

Popular Posts