Fun in the Sun

Before this last week started I didn't have much on the calendar. One day plan and one evening plan and nothing in between. But then we got a text from a friend that said, "Hey lets go to the movies!" and we learned that Nana had two days off....and the boring week at home quickly turned into fun in the sun and friends.
Monday it was back to Ballard. This time the big kids had Nature Camp. Emery went to this last year and loved it so I knew I wanted her to go back this summer. When I realized that Auggie was old enough to go too I hesitated...and then Douglas reminded me that he was going to be in pre-school and that we might as well try it. 
So I signed them both up. If it had just been Em, I would have dropped her off and headed back home. #air-conditioning. But with it being Auggie's first ever "class" I decided I had better stick around. Luckily, Ballard is awesome. Hannah happened to be with us (she had spent the night and played with the kids all morning) so we walked around with Bennett and eavesdropped on the kids' class. I loved hearing Auggie's loud, excited voice tell his teacher that he had an Illini hat. We also spied on them walking on the trails. I was surprised to see Aug in the front of the pack and Emery in the back. After class Emery even said she thought Auggie would have wanted to be by her because he was new but she decided he must have been brave! They have two more classes this summer and I won't be afraid to leave this time. My boy is big!
Tuesday started off like lots of our summer mornings do. Is it just my kids or do all kids demand one million things the minute they wake up?? Auggie immediately wants "breastfist" and his clothes on and to go outside. No "Good morning, Mommy. How did you sleep?" A girl can dream. Anyway, while I cater to Farmer Auggie and his needs, Em takes care of B. They used to cuddle all nicely and she would give him his morning bottle but recently that has turned into a messy wrestle match. B has got to be on the move.  
After breakfast it was a mad dash to get dressed and out the door on time. (It is always a mad dash to get dressed and out the door in time, just so you know.) We met up with Ammon and the boys to try out the $1 movie at the theater. Taking three young kids to the movies by myself sounds crazy....and is crazy...but some how it turned out great. I set my bar low and figured we would only be out four bucks if we had to get up and leave (we would have taken our popcorn with us of course) but Emery was glued to the screen and the popcorn, Auggie talked and roamed up and down the isle a little and luckily B took a nap. I am sure when and if I try this again it will be a disaster, but I was pretty proud of the kids and myself. Plus, Boss Baby is super cute. 
Tuesday evening we decided to hit the trec trail for a family run/walk. Em loves to run and I hope she is proud of me for trying to run. B doesn't look happy here but I promise he loved it and Aug...he is either running or hitching a ride on the stroller. And asking four thousand questions. 
Wednesday I somehow talked the kids into staying inside most of the day and got caught up on some house work. I also bathed my babies--which is rare and a major feat. Go me. They needed to be looking good because we had plans for Sharon to take their pictures while Doug and Eric grilled. Did you know that getting three kids to smile and look at the camera all at the same time is nearly impossible? But just look at that picture....I could stare at it all day.
I love that Shar is the one that gets to capture their little personalities. I know she loves them.
Thursday started out with me backing out of the garage without putting the garage door up. Oops.
But at least a day can only go up from there, right!?! Nana had the day off so we decided to head out on an adventure. A Cheeseburger Adventure!
Emery was in cheeseburger heaven at Moonshine. It was as big as her head and she almost ate it all.
The kids and I immediately declared that we have to bring Daddy here soon so he too can eat one of his favorite things. 
No cheeseburger for Bennett but just being outside made him happy. After Moonshine we decided to drive through the country to the Mug Tree in Yale. What else is there to do in that part of the world? Well when we finally found a highway we saw a Hunt City sign meaning we had missed Yale. Shoot. By then the kids were all napping in the car so we just decided to head towards Newton. 
We made a quick stop at Sam Parr to stretch our legs and run off some energy and then stopped by Aunt Linda's office before heading home. Growing up I loved visiting Aunt Linda at work. That was back when she was in the Court House. Now my kids love to visit because there is always candy and some sort of surprise in her desk. 
Friday morning I took Auggie to the doctor for his 3yo check up. 28lbs and 38 inches tall. He had only gained 3 pounds since last year but had grown 10 centimeters (Doctor said most kids only grow about  5.) So he is scrawny and perfect. I already knew that.
 It was HOT on Friday and the only thing that sounded good to us was the Newton Pool. So we went. 
Last time we went, B slept most of the day. Not this time! He was a little fish and happy as can be. 
I think Friday was the most fun I have had at the pool yet and it is because of this girl. She wanted to jump in, float, try new things. She might have talked me into showing her how to dive and I ended up going off the diving board. It had been awhile...still not a fan of the diving board.
Not too long ago I was talking to my sister-in-law Vicki and she said she had read something about kids not caring what you look like in your bathing suit---they just want you to be there, having fun with them. So instead of sitting on the side or asking them to please not splash because I didn't want to get my hair wet, I just had fun. Now I know that that is the way to do it. 
When we got back from the pool, I showered, embraced the humidity with curly hair and headed out with Douglas for a date night. Dinner and drinks and we were home before 10pm. Wild and crazy kids are we! We had a full, fun weekend planned so it was probably a good thing we were back early. 
Em had T-ball Saturday morning. It was hot. The kids were even sluggish because of it. Not anyone's best game but Em did hit it again when Doug pitched to her. Go Em! After lunch, just us girls headed to Grove for a 1st birthday party. I think Orie and Em were happy to see each other and I am so glad I got to go to Winnie's 1st birthday party. It was of course nice to visit with Kaci and her family too. Lots of laughs with them over the years. 
Later in the afternoon the boys headed our way too so we could celebrate Father's Day at Grandpa Sammy's. It had been too long since I have seen some of my nieces and nephews and in-laws. 
Auggie was in his happy place and we even let him bring his new riding tractor. He was either riding it or the golf cart or the mule the entire night. He checked on "his" goats and cows a few times too. I feel bad that I didn't get a picture of the kids with Grandpa Sammy but everyone was having too much fun.
On Sunday we celebrated our favorite guy. Like many Dad's out there, he wanted to go golfing. But he also wanted to take Emery. And that right there perfectly sums up the kind of father he is. 
He is Emery's best friend, teacher and biggest fan. We have always joked that she loves him the most but the thing is, it isn't really a joke. She is a Daddy's girl through and through. 
After golf and naps we hit the pool and we almost didn't get out. It felt so good.
This was the best picture I got of Em. And I am being serious. She jumped in and swam across the entire pool without floaties and is getting to be quite the little swimmer which makes this big swimmer super happy.
While Auggie Boy says he loves me the most (and I might tell him I love him the most too) he really worships the ground Doug walks on. He soaks in Doug's every word, action and opinion and that is why I am so grateful for the man Doug is. We will have done a good job if August Samuel grows up to be just like his Daddy. 
And I hate to say it, but Bennett might be another Daddy fan. No one can make him laugh or smile like Doug can. I love watching them together. Again, I hope he grows up to be just like him.

We ended up swimming until way past supper so instead of cooking we decided that Homewood was calling our names. Finish Father's Day off with a side of ice cream! It wasn't a big fancy celebration of a day but I think it was just what we needed.

I am sure we will come up with more fun in the sun this coming week.
Try to stay cool!













Comments

Popular Posts