The Rest of the Week

The highlight of the week was clearly Holiday World, but when I looked back through pictures Sunday night, I couldn't help but smile at the rest of the week. It was simple and sweet and slower than most.
The first half of Monday was spent at Wal-mart. Auggie always asks to walk like Em does but I have been burnt by that situation before. On the other hand, two kids in a cart leaves no room for groceries so I decided to use that one obnoxious cart that has two blue seats attached to it. It feels like it is a million miles long and I can't actually turn the thing, but I thought it was a great idea. I didn't think about the fact that Auggie could still hop off every time I stopped or came close to stopping. This fact eventually led us to the produce isle with Auggie sitting in timeout next to the oranges. It was not at all an effective timeout because he thought it was funny that he was sitting on the floor next to the oranges and after the fact I laughed too. But not then. The rest of the day he worked hard to make it back into my good graces. He succeeded because who could be mad at a little boy in just undies and rubber black boots? Douglas played tennis with a friend that evening while I sprayed my children with the hose and watched them clean my rocks. One of their favorite pastimes. And mine. 
Tuesday evening we picked up pizzas and headed for Hidalgo. We didn't get to celebrate Papa or Grandpa Jim on Father's Day but Tuesday worked just fine.  
My Grandpa always calls Emery my name. And every time he does this, he realizes his mistake and then says, "Well thats how big I think Ashley should still be." It makes me smile inside every time it happens. Both he and my Dad have always been my biggest fans. I know I will always be their little girl.
After swim lessons on Wednesday (Em was a rockstar swimmer!) we just hung out at home.
This little one stayed busy smiling and crawling to the bathroom or anywhere else he is not allowed.
Farmer Auggie picked up sticks for me (I love his tractor just as much as he does) and Em played with the neighbor. It was Wednesday evening when we finally decided to pack for Holiday World. It was early bedtimes for all. 
Speaking of bedtimes, Bennett has hated his this past week. Naps too. I forgot to mention that on Monday night he screamed from about 7:30 to 10:30 simply because he was too tired. Just sleep kid! Finally Doug drove around the block a few times (three kids in and that is the first time we have had to do that) and we crossed our fingers and prayed while I transferred him to his crib. He is on the go all day crawling and pulling up (I wasn't ready for the pulling up part) so he is completely exhausted by the end of the day but has just been fighting it. This past weekend he seems to be back to his old sleeping self. At least we are hoping he is.
Friday we all slept in. Thank goodness. It was one of those mornings where not even Auggie asked to put clothes on. He usually requests to get dressed immediately. Em on the other hand would wear her nightgown 24/7. We just lounged around and slowly put the Holiday World mess away.
Grandma Susie must have worn B out the day before because he was up for a hot minute and then took a great big nap. Or maybe he just missed me and knew I would hold him. Look at that squishy belly.
Eventually we were lounged out and hungry. Nana was in town again and the weather was so much cooler so we decided to do lunch outside at the lake. This might be my new go to spot with the kids because A. the kids meals come on a frisbee and B. for some reason I feel more okay about Auggie being loud or B being messy if I am eating outside.
I ended up not just cuddling with Bennett on Friday. Auggie has always been my best cuddler but it felt like it had been awhile since he slowed down and let me hold him. He also snuck into my bed early Sunday morning and we slept so good together. He will never ever be too big to cuddle with me and I hope he knows that. 
We went into the weekend with zero plans which is very rare. We ended up going out to the lake when we learned that Uncle Chuck was home. It was rainy and cool but a slow boat ride still hit the spot. 
Emery and Auggie are both finally at the age (and we have been there enough times) that they are both fairly easy at the lake. Bennett loves it out there and is easy to contain right now but I told him that next summer might be a different story. Sorry Bulldog. We didn't stay late that night because Em had a T-ball game early the next morning.
This picture means so much to me and the ladies in it. My Grandma has been wanting to come to Emery's games so badly but it just hadn't happened yet so Saturday was an answered prayer for us. Em actually had a very big fan section. Grandpa Jim, Papa, Gigi, Grandma Susie and Grandpa Sammy. And of course her biggest fans, Aug and B!
Auggie was in heaven before the game because Coach let him practice with the team. He would fit right in if it wasn't for being tiny. After ball the whole cheering section joined us for breakfast.
It was a good morning. 
Saturday evening we had a few friends over for supper. I barely saw the kids because they were busy playing and I was busy chatting. We let them stay up too late (I stayed up too late too) but it was fun. Thats what summer weekends are for, right?
We decided to end the weekend at the pool. The kids and I go all the time so it was special that Daddy got to go too. Auggie was not his fishy little self for some reason. Didn't want to jump in are really do much besides float around. You do you, Aug.
B was our happy little water baby. 
And Emery Kayt was our mermaid. She discovers that she can do more and more every time we swim. We picked up supper on the way home and ate in our swimsuits because we were starving. 
We played for a few hours outside and then talked everyone into an early bedtime. Got to start the week of right.

Another slow summer week is ahead and I am just fine with that.

Comments

Popular Posts