School Safety Soapbox and the Perfect Fall Weekend Recap

This morning I asked my sleepy sophomores to journal about their perfect weekend--what a way to start a dreary Monday, I know. I told them to describe everything about their perfect weekend: the weather, the people, the activities (pretty sure sleep was on all of their lists. And no homework). That got me thinking about my own perfect weekend description. Quickly, I realized that I was just describing the weekend I had just had.

For this post I will say that my weekend officially started on Friday around 4pm. 
Before that I actually had a very emotional and anxiety inducing day. I was not going to write about it here because I told myself I was going to move on from those emotions. But it is hard to move on from reality and a pit in your stomach when you walk into work. Friday my school had an active shooter training. I will say that I feel extremely safe at my school. We have such a close-knit and loving culture and I also feel prepared (as I can be) for keeping my students safe. What had me so emotional was the fact that I was sitting in the same room as my children's teachers. As we role played and talked about situations that you pray never happen, I couldn't help think about Emery and Auggie and someday Bennett being in a situation where they are scared or in danger. And where I am not there to make sure everything is okay.

As parents we want our babies to be safe and happy and for everything to be perfect. But we do not live in a perfect world. I am finding that as they get older, the more I have to let go. I have to trust others, I have to hope and pray and believe that people are inherently good. If I don't, I will go crazy thinking about the what ifs. I am so grateful for the teachers and administration and coaches (and babysitters and neighbors and family and friends) that are the good in the world. I pray for them daily and hope that you pray for those people in your life too. 

As a teacher I am furious. Furious that when I hear an unusual noise in my school my stomach drops and my mind starts to prepare for the worse. I am furious that students, not just mine, but everywhere, feel the same way. And I am telling you, they do. I never ever felt in danger or scared when I was in school. I never once questioned my safety. I am furious today that students cannot say the same thing. I am furious that trainings like the one I had on Friday even exist.

I do not have the answers. And I am guessing there is not one single definitive answer. They asked us Friday what we thought the problem was and many answers were given, none that I hadn't heard before. Maybe we should blame the media, maybe it all comes down to mental health. 
One teacher spoke up quickly and said that the problem is the fact that God has been taken out of schools. That response struck a cord with me and as I walked in to school today I caught myself lifting all schools, not just mine, up in prayer. I lifted up teachers and principals that they might have the courage and quick-thinking to save those that they are there to protect. I prayed for our country's mental health and for people who might be struggling with this disease. And I prayed for this country's leadership--that they have open minds and hearts when it comes to fixing this problem that shouldn't even exist. 

With prayer also needs to come action. But I find myself asking, "What can I do?" As a teacher I try very hard to get to know my students and check in on them. If I think something is off or up, I ask. I think we have to do that same thing in our own everyday lives. Talk to people, be kind to people, if you think something is up or off, ask. Teach your kids to do the same. Be an advocate for the underdog, be compassionate, be pro-active.
And be the good. 

My children have many years of schooling ahead of them and as a teacher who loves her job, I have many years ahead of me too. I pray that this year brings about positive change and that generations to come do not have to think twice about their safety. I pray that good prevails. Will you pray for these things with me? And will you act on them too?? 
Okay--now back to our weekend. By 4 o'clock, I couldn't wait to get home and kiss on my babies. Even Bennett, who has been the neediest, grouchiest little monster this past week. He has also been the cutest and the funniest. He is such a mixed bag here lately! We still do not think he is sick but we do think he is super smart and spoiled. I know his teeth have to hurt but the four of us giving into his every want and whine is not helping the situation. 
Em had a half day on Friday and the boys spent the morning at Aunt Cheryl's house (thank you Aunt Cheryl!) Douglas took a half day too so he could be the afternoon entertainment. We are never all at home that early on a Friday so it was nice to feel like the weekend started early. We took a walk /ride around the neighborhood, thought for a minute about going to the Newton Football game, but then decided that playing outside until dark sounded better (and much easier.) 
We woke up Saturday to the perfect fall day. Finally. Actually Doug and the kids woke up early to a perfect fall day. I slept in. Ladies you need to get yourself a man that turns down golfing Saturday morning because he knows you need some sleep and want to get a long run in. (I will also mention that he was already golfing on Sunday but still.....acts of service are my love language and Doug knows it! So I slept in and then went for a nice run. Saturdays are for Momma's mental health ha!
Mid-morning Doug asked me the question he always asks me on a Saturday of no plans. "So...what do we want to accomplish today?" My answer is usually laundry but instead I asked if we could build a fire and have friends over again. On the first day of fall I need to do all the fall things. Especially if the weather is cooperating. So we invited a few friends, ran to Walmart for s'more supplies and anxiously awaited supper time. I also got the laundry done. I didn't even see the "big" kids because they were busy doing big kid stuff I guess. Adults played a fun new yard game named Kubb (I need it now) and we officially had our first fall fire. I believe that every Saturday should start with me sleeping in and end with a fire and friends.
Since my house was fairly clean and laundry was fairly done, Sunday afternoon was spent at Ballard. Doug was golfing with Jansens so we were glad that Nana could tag along. It was another beautiful day. I got to use a stump for an Auggie timeout, Bennett ate his first Lunchable (totally baby book worthy haha) and I don't think Emery has ever been dirtier (Sunday nights have to be bath nights). But it really was a good day.
Smiles are proof. 
So to recap, my perfect weekend would include an early start on Friday, sleeping in on Saturday, fall weather, friends and a fire, and a layed back Sunday with an early bedtime. The best thing is that this coming weekend is already looking like this could all happen again. 

Here is to a good week and being the good too!





Comments

Popular Posts