Short and Sweet

Do you ever just have a simple, nothing special, short and sweet weekend? Because that is what I would classify ours as. Sometimes that is just what I feel like we need to reconnect with each other. School days seem to fly by and honestly I sometimes feel like I am catching myself coming and going. I walked out of the house Friday and when I got to school realized I had told no one goodbye. No kisses, no hugs, no have a nice days. Oops. Perhaps I should slow down. I feel like that is what we did this weekend. We didn't necessarily slow all the way down, because that is just not how we roll, but I feel like I did make up for my missed moments during the week.  
Before the weekend recap, can we just talk about how big Emery Kayt looks in this picture!?! She had picture day this week at school so I took the extra time to curl that growing hair of hers. (Usually she rocks a side pony or a messy bun because Momma likes to sleep in.) I just love the little lady she is becoming. We are a month into Kindergarten and I feel like she has matured and changed so much. And maybe that is just because I get one-on-one Em time everyday after school. She is funny and smart and kind and takes everything in. We were at her school this weekend and I watched her go out of her way to talk to friends....two years ago Em would have never ever done that. Just proud of her. 
But I do have one complaint. (I don't want her to read this someday and think she is just perfect haha) The girl has one gear. Slow. While I might run slow, she did not get her pokey-ness from me. I have never seen her get in a hurry and most of the time her head is way up in the clouds. In the moment I find myself getting frustrated with her. Let's just say that the word "Hurry" comes out of my mouth way too many times in the mornings. But today as I looked at her picture I realized I could probably learn a little from her. 
Kids are crazy. Because of them I feel like I have a million things to do and not enough time to do it. But because of them I feel this push to prioritize and slow down. Day dream and breath. Kids. 
August Samuel also had picture day this past week and he swears that this is how he smiled. Like I am still asking him, "No, really. How did you smile for you school pictures?" And then he makes this face every time. Time will tell what kind of picture I payed for. He was the first kid in his class to bring snacks which meant he had no idea that this was a special event. He didn't really care. He also told us that he didn't play with anyone or learn anything. Why am I not surprised? But I know he does love it. This weekend we saw his teacher and he walked up and gave her a great big hug.  Proof that the boy likes Pre-K. Doug and I were just talking last night about the maturity we have seen in Auggie. We can reason with him (most of the time), he plays like a big boy (most of the time), he listens better (most of the time). Go Auggie Boy! Lately our biggest complaint is him getting out of bed five times before finally falling asleep. Usually he is thirsty or not tired. Last night his excuse was that he was scared of the dark. My response was the he had a night light and that he was in fact not scared of the dark. He quickly changed it to "I am worried about the dark." We just had to laugh.
I remember looking back on Em's first year of pre-school and being amazed at how much she had grown and changed. I already see it with this one and we are only a week in. And while I still want my Auggie Boy to be about two, I am excited for him and this next year. 


Friday night we put on our Orange and Blue (well I had to scrounge around a little for Bennett's--thank you hand-me-downs) and headed to our first Newton Football game of the year. B's first game ever! I don't watch a single moment of football; I am there for the band, the cheerleaders and the social aspect. Emery is there for the same as me plus whatever treats she can talk someone into buying her....the boys might actually watch some football. Doug mentioned to me that he wished he sat by someone that he could talk football with so I texted Sharon....I am thinking she and Doug should switch for the next game!

Bennett loved his first game. How cute are my boys? Auggie liked it but said that it was loud....he also almost fell asleep. By Friday night my kiddos (and I) are worn out. We left at half time which was the best decision ever because I think the monsoon started then and we were in bed at a decent time.

Saturday it rained. And rained. After we had gotten out the 100th toy, Doug and I made the decision that we needed to get out of the house....even if that meant going to someone else's house. Grandpa Sammy and Grandma Susie to the rescue! Instead of messing up my house or kitchen, we played and ate supper at theirs. Win win. I was thankful for the escape and my kids were thankful for the pop tarts and Grandma/Grandpa time. 

Sunday was full but really fun. Kids were all good in church (a workout, but good) and after that we ran home for lunch and then back to St. A. Our school is celebrating 150 years of education--how cool! The grade school put on a little carnival and my cheerleaders painted faces at it so we spent the day playing carnival games and visiting with friends. I love having my little kids see and meet my big kids (students). I think it is good for both. My littles see what is expected of them--someday they will be asked to volunteer their time and talents for others. My students get a reminder that little eyes are always watching. It's a good cycle to be apart of and I feel blessed to get to help out a little here and there. 
All weekend I had put off my "long" run. We got home from the carnival about 3:30 and I had plans to meet my running gals for supper at 5. Just the right amount of time to run. No excuses. 
So I ran.....and I am proud to say that I kicked 4 miles butt! Everything just felt really good. Kaci got me new fancy headphones for my birthday--they rock. The weekend's cooler weather--it rocked. The songs that came up on my playlist--all rocked. So I rocked. Those 4 miles have me not so scared for my upcoming 6 but I am definitely going to have to keep working hard. After my run I threw on comfy clothes and treated myself to some girl time, yummy food and a glass of wine. Doug and the kids treated themselves to dinner and a movie in the front room (never allowed when I am home--he is the fun one). We skipped baths, did no grocery shopping for the week and probably went to bed a little too late for a Sunday night but oh well. We will be just fine I am sure.
Today was a special day for Em at school. She got to love on some of her grandparents in honor of Grandparent's Day! Grandma and Grandpa were her special guests.....
and so was Nana (even though Em doesn't think she is her grandparent. "She is just my Nana!").
I know they played Bingo (and lost), sang a song for them and had made something that required her to paint her hand....I saw the still purple hand one day after school last week. She is one lucky little girl to have the grandparents that she does. 
(*Note the side pony. I told you that is what happens on a day that we wake up too late!)

We have a normal week ahead and I already feel behind on laundry and meal planning. And school. 
But maybe the week will feel short and sweet too. Maybe.

Have a wonderful week!












Comments

Popular Posts