26.2 (divided by 4)

Well I can officially say that I am a "Marathon Runner". Our medals say 26.2 miles which is quite the accomplishment. In reality it was 26.2 divided by four. 26.2 miles divided by four of the coolest, smartest, sweetest, most driven girls I know. And let me tell you, 26.2 divided by four still feels like quite the accomplishment. 
About five months ago we all decided to run a little, with a 5k sometime this summer being our goal. Our schedules were nearly impossible to match up but we kept each other accountable and motivated through a running app. When we all hit the 2ish mile mark on our running plans, Ammon came up with the crazy idea to run in a relay together--meaning we would all run between 6 and 7 miles. It sounded crazy....and what was even crazier was that we all said sure! We talked (bossed) our husbands into making a team too and we had been anxiously awaiting and training for October 7th ever since. 
Douglas and I headed north Saturday morning and made a date-day out of it. We hit up Tuscola for some good deals and then lunch out. We jammed to good music and got to play catch up without interruptions from the back seat. What a treat! When we got to Peoria we met up with Ammon and Troy and picked up our Race Day packets....things were getting real!
Saturday night we ate at a super cool restaurant that actually used to be a church. It was beautiful inside.  Everyone ate too much food to be running the next day but when there is yummy food who can help themselves?!? We were crazy adults and all in bed by 9:30. 
That night I had the best dream and the first dream of my Grandma since she went to Heaven. And I have Ammon to thank. Ammon is like me and loves a good motivational quote or mantra and she wanted to do something special for all of us on race day. It might sound a little silly, but she made us temporary tattoos. Some had our favorite verses, others motivating words or reminders. She told me that she had a special one just for me and handed me this rose. And then I almost cried. Months ago I had told her a funny little story about my Grandma and a rose tattoo and she had remembered. That night I dreamt about telling my Grandma all about my race. Her actions and expressions were so real to me and just so her. At one time I was worried that when I thought of G'ma, she would be sick. Which was not at all what I wanted. I want to remember my Grandma like she was my entire life. And that is exactly how she was in my first dream of her. Looking down and seeing the rose tattoo during my race put a smile on my face and a thankful song in my heart. I know my biggest cheerleader in life was smiling down on me. Maybe she had a little bit to do with the perfect weather we had. 
Doug and I were the first runners for our teams. That means we ran together for about a minute...before he left me in the dust (his words not mine ha!). I can proudly say that I can run 7 miles without stopping....but I have never ever claimed to be fast. It was really fun to get to experience this with Doug and honestly none of this would have been possible without him. He has been my friendly competition and my confidence builder. He knew that this was something I wanted to do so he made sure I was able to train when I needed to. He ran a great 1st leg and and cheered me on when I finished mine.  
All of these girls had the best runs and I am so proud of them. I think we will always remember the funny moments as well as the challenging ones. I have told them this before but running with them is something I never imagined myself doing. Before this I had never pushed myself in life, I had never stuck with something for more than a few weeks. Honestly, I was a quitter. If it hurt or took too much time or made me sweat or pushed me out of my comfort zone, it was a no for me. But there is something about feeling strong and vulnerable and proud of yourself that is addicting. 
Today we are sore but we all admitted to each other that we are thinking about the next time we will run. We want to keep going. Who knows....maybe 13.1 is in our future......
Doug and I were excited to get home and show off our metals to the kids. They think we won the race and I will just go ahead and let them think that. One of the reasons I wanted to start running was to be a better role model for my littles. I love it when I get back from a run and they meet me in the yard, asking how many miles I did. They are the best fans a girl can have!
And in the words of August Samuel, they are "super speedy fast" too. They actually both argued that that they are the fastest in the family. Maybe we will have to race!
Bennett Lee loves me, fast or slow. Honestly I am going to have to keep running if I am ever going to keep up with him haha. I am glad I had today off to get some mommy-kiddo time in and to recuperate/get ready for the coming week. 

Hope everyone has a good one!







Comments

Popular Posts