Bennett Lee~ONE Year Old

A year ago today, just as the sun was rising on a perfect fall day, Bennett Lee Jansen made us a family of five and changed us all for the better. Maybe that is why I love fall sunrises and sunsets so much. They remind me of you. Today you are ONE. One whole year of lessons on patience, communication, priorities and love. We have all laughed more in this last year. We have all experienced more joy in our lives. All because of you sweet boy. You are a blessing that God knew we needed. And we are forever and ever thankful for that.
We said goodbye to formula a week or so ago and you seem to prefer it this way. You always begged for whatever Emery or Auggie were drinking anyway....now you get your own milk! You are our biggest eater and I am not lying when I say that you eat the most out of the three kids at meal time. Usually we end up handing you Emery and Auggie's plates to finish them off.
I was going to write down what your favorite foods are but then I realized I don't know. You will eat anything and everything!
Maybe you being our biggest eater goes along with you being our biggest one year old. You weigh a little over 23 lbs and I know for comparison that Em weighed 21 lbs around 18 months. Your drawers and closet are full of 18-24 month hand-me downs and I swear I just packed these away after Auggie was done. Actually, last week I cleaned out Auggie's pj drawer and instead of boxing them up, I just added them to your stack. You will be in them in no time!
You have been our worst sleeper. Up until this last week, I think we could have counted on both hands the number of times you have slept through the night in the last year. I will take a little blame here--I rocked you to sleep and then would give in and give you a bottle in the night. Since switching to milk I also switched up your bedtime routine. And you have slept! Slowly but surely you are learning to self sooth, if you can find a paci that is (a battle for a different time). 
I am happy with your progress and you should be happier too.
Speaking of happy, that is what you are all of the time. Your big toothy (you have eight) grin lights up  a room and lights up our lives. You are happiest just to be along for the fun and since you are usually the center of attention your deep cackle of a laugh can be heard at all times in our house.
You play a mean game of peek-a-boo and will mimic our sounds and volume and faces. You climb or attempt to climb on everything and I know I am going to find you on the counter before long. Walking, on the other hand, is something you do not attempt to do. If we are trying to have you walk, you pick up your legs and downright refuse but when you think we aren't watching you will take a few steps here and there. I am afraid that you have figured out that crawling is much, much faster. And you have places to go and trouble to get into.
I was just looking at pictures of your newborn days (word of advice--do not do this. It made me weepy and in need of a newborn...). I stopped and smiled the longest at this picture of you and Emery on the day she met you. Your bond was instant and strong and it has only grown from there. She carries you around and it makes you giggle and she has taken to calling you "Bubba". She loves you so much.
Auggie is who you try to keep up with and I think you know that as the little brother, it is your job to drive him crazy. None of his toys are safe and you have taught him a few lessons in sharing. But someday soon you are going to have to learn those lessons too. I am excited to watch your brotherly relationship grow. And I hate to tell Auggie this, but I bet you pass him up in size sooner rather than later. 
You might think Daddy is the funniest (just like Em) but you give me the most kisses (just like Aug).
I love that I can see both of them in you, but you are definitely your only little man.

Bennett Lee we are excited to celebrate YOU today and all weekend--even though you are sick. I am guessing a double ear infection and a nasty cold was not what you wished for for your birthday.
To make you feel better, I'll take all the slobbery kisses you want to give, you can eat all you want tonight and I'll even rock you all you want during the night. You are only one once. 

Happy Birthday Bennett!







Comments

Popular Posts