Thanksgiving 2018

Thanksgiving break felt just the way it should. 
Like a break. 
Yes, we were still busy-ish, with four ball games and two family gatherings. But as we went to bed last night, Doug and I both commented on how good our little break felt. It felt good to stay up late and sleep in, to stay in comfy clothes as long as possible, to play outside from sun up to sun set and it felt really good to just slow down and enjoy each other. 
I started Thanksgiving Day off with a run. (Can't say that I have ever done that before.) This year I am thankful for my health and for the little boost running has given me. 
We celebrated Thanksgiving Day with the Jansens and enjoyed lots of good food and conversation. I mean the food is always good but this year it seemed to be extra on point. Em and Aug of course loved playing with cousins. And B loved noodles and the cookies his Aunts gave him.
I am so thankful for this big family of mine.
I had to get a picture of Auggie with his favorite person. Note Grandpa Sammy's necklace-Auggie made it for him at school and Grandpa wore it the whole day. Because he is the best Grandpa ever. I was told by a friend (and Sammy backed her up) that August Samuel sang the loudest and the proudest at his Thanksgiving Feast Day at school. And I believe it.
 Now I can't wait to see him in action at Christmas.
I am thankful for all of my babies' grandparents and all the love/time/support they have to give!
The weather this break was beautiful. The kids got to play outside everyday (the good Lord knew they needed fresh air and I needed some peace and quiet), Doug got to work outside (got it lookin' good Douglas) and we even got to sit by the fire and finish up our October S'mores supply Thanksgiving night. I wanted a cute picture by the fire with my three so that I would remember the night always. And this is what I got. But ya know what, this is how I should remember it because this is my life. And I am so thankful for it. 
We cheered on the Bulldogs most of break. After one night of basketball, Auggie wanted to know if we could go see football or baseball instead. Sorry buddy--basketball it is. Doug, Nana and all three kids joined for two of the four games and after that Em was my only shadow. Miss Em actually prefers it when we have cheer practice after school and I am so thankful for the sweet girls on my team and for a school that lets Em be my little shadow. 
The boys didn't go to the last game. They stayed home and did boy stuff like shave their faces and mess up my house haha. August Samuel is going to be so fun this holiday season. He is all about the trees and the lights and the songs. This break I was thankful for extra morning cuddles and extra belly laughs because of him.
There is no "break" with this one. He just does not stop. To get the cleaning done for the Thanksgiving we had on Sunday I would go and put him in the farthest spot away from me that I could think of. If I needed to work in the kitchen then I put him way back in Em and Aug's room and then sprinted to get work done until he found me. Not really a parenting hack because it never really worked. He is too fast and too needy (and too cute). But I am so thankful for the joy he brings our family and for that little dimple of his. 
Also, still not walking. 13 months today and would much rather crawl or be carried. 
I didn't want to get up this morning and I missed these three upon leaving the house, but all that means is that we had a great break together. 
And now comes the craziness that is the Christmas season. Lots to do and a few short weeks to do it.  But I am going to really try to take the same apporach to Christmas that I did Thanksgiving. I am going to count my blessings and enjoy them too. I am just going to be thankful!

Hope you had the best Thanksgiving too!









Comments

Popular Posts