Put on Love


Happy Friday and happy one day late Valentine's Day! On Valentine's day I can't help but think of one of my favorite verses-Colossians 3:12-15.

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

Clearly, love is important. We are called to put it on and with it everything will come together. But we can only love because He first loved us. God's love for us is unfailing and forever (that felt good to type). Yesterday morning, as I felt my heart swell with love when I looked into my sleepy, Auggie Boy's eyes, I realized that is exactly how God looks at me. He loves me and has given me everything and everyone that I love! So because of him, I try to put on love. Not just yesterday but everyday.

Aren't these two cute? These two have such a special love, always have. This past weekend they went to their third annual Daddy-Daughter Dance. Em asked Doug to go this year which was super cute. Like always, he asked her which shirt he should wear and told her that he was the luckiest guy around because he always has the prettiest girl with him--either her or her Momma. (Nice line, Douglas.)
She was all smiles when she got home. They danced, had cookies, lost at limbo and just had the best time. Auggie, B and I all napped so you could say we had a good afternoon too!
She looks like him, thinks like him and acts like him. (Lord help me!)
 I remember falling in love with Doug all over again the first time I saw him hold her-I just love their love. 
They have always been Valentines and always will be. Douglas got Em a card game because she loves games and he got me a bottle of wine because I love wine. He knows the way to our hearts!
*Note the shirtless Bennett. He had just found a huge cup of water and attempted to drink it all...might have gotten a bit wet.*
This one is all mine. He asked me to be his Valentine and I will forever and ever say yes. He is my little lover boy. Its funny, Emery and I do not always get along but she will always listen to Doug. Auggie is the very best at pushing Doug's buttons but wants to be a good boy for me (wants to and is are not always the same thing...). I find all of our different relationships interesting and they are what make our little family what it is. I got him a shirt with a cow on it and promise to cuddle him this weekend until his heart is content--two of his most favorite things. 
He thought his new cow shirt was the funniest thing and I am sure he is spending the day flashing everyone. You are welcome Auggie Boy!
Bennett Lee has everyone wrapped around his chubby little fingers so I guess we are all claiming him as our Valentine. That or none of us are...depends on how he is acting haha. We are about to put the high chair away because he much prefers sitting at the table (or on the table) with the rest of us and he said his first official word this week. The cutest and orneriest "uh-ohhh" I have ever heard. He is messy and loud and crazy. And we are all absolutely crazy about him!
Em and Aug both needed to take Valentines to school this week. I feel like they get too much candy and aren't old enough to care about or read the little folds of paper they get so we did something a bit different. I wanted cheap, easy and something little kids might like for more than a hot minute. Pinterest, Amazon and silly-straws for the win! Neither of them knew what a silly-straw was before this and their lives will never be the same haha. Emery cut out all of hers, wrote on them and assembled them. You go girl! Auggie wrote his name once and cut it out haphazardly....and then needed to go play basketball. So go me for finishing them for him! My favorite part of the day might have been when the two big kids set at the counter and sorted through all of their Valentines together. "Look at this one Auggie!" "Wow, look at this one, Em!" Their excitement was contagious. I know they both had perfect Valentines Day celebrations at school. Well maybe Emery's wasn't quite perfect. Doug and I were suppose to make a secret Valentine for her and send it to school. Every student would have one and after the teacher read the clues, children would have to guess which Valentine was for them. Do you think I sent Emery's back to school with her? No. No I did not. After school I asked her if there was anything that was missing from the day...

Em: Yeshhh... (I still love her lisp.)
Me: Well, you weren't the only one without it were you?
Em: Yeshhhh....
Me: Palm to face

I apologized over and over and bless her heart, she just kept saying it was fine. I told Doug I think she already has very low expectations of me so she wasn't surprised.
I used to have my act together. I really did.
I let her eat two pieces of candy to make up for it.
While I loved my extra kisses and I love you's, I loved receiving this picture of my Grandpa even more. For a few months now, G'pa has not been doing well at all. Praise God for this big smile here because recently he is doing so much better!! He has been recovering from a broken hip at a nursing home and was voted King of Valentines Day! He was tickled at his new title and I can't think of anyone more deserving. He is a charmer that is for sure! When I was thinking about "Putting on Love" my mind immediately went to my Grandparents. They put on love everyday-for each other, for us, for others and for the Lord. They are the reason my family hug and kiss and never leave or hang up the phone without an "I love you". I really miss my Grandma but Emery and I had the sweetest conversation about her yesterday that left me with sad/thankful tears and reminded me of how much Emery takes after her. 

Valentines Day is not my most favorite holiday (I do love a holiday) but it is a sweet little day that reminds me of all that I have to love, how loved I am and it reminds me to make sure I am putting on love everyday. 

And now it is Friday...what's not to love about that!?! 



Comments

Popular Posts