High Hopes

At noon yesterday, Summer 2019 officially started for us. Em and I even took a selfie at Homewood to document it.

I would be lying if I said I haven't been looking forward to this summer. Not because I was ready for work to be over (I mean I am not sad about it being over, but I did have a really good school year) but I have just been ready to soak up my babies in the summer sun. Ready to slow down yet do all of our favorite things. It's funny-even my kids have caught on that summer break is special for our family. I don't think it is lost on them that not all families get this extra togetherness. 

Last night we set no alarms, there was no rush out the door. We had friends over for the morning, I got to rock Bennett to sleep for his nap (I don't know the last time that happened), and now I sit in quiet watching the big kids ride bikes outside. I know not everyday will be like this, but I would say we are off to a good start. 

Summer 2019 is here and we have high hopes for it.
Even though she has been counting down to summer break for a few weeks now, Emery Kayt had the best year in Kindergarten. She had the sweetest teacher and made a few good friends. She told me she will miss her new friends the most but I promised her we would have plenty of friend time this summer. I am going to miss her big goodbye waves and and blown kisses. Do 1st graders still blow kisses to their Mommy when they leave for school?
This morning at breakfast she stated: "I just really feel like a 1st grader now."
That's because you are Em. Somehow you already are.
Doug and I learned that Em is very easy going, likes to write letters backwards on purpose, would do crafts all day/everyday and might lean more towards the messy side of life. She loves friendship, learning how to read and laughing. I learned that I am more forgetful than I thought (lunches not packed, missed dress up days, etc.) but I was reminded all year of what a big, amazing and sweet daughter I have. 
I am going to miss our one on one time. Earlier in the year it was at cheer practice, lately its been errands or that sweet little time at home before we walk to get the boys. 
Speaking of the boys...
On Em and I's way home yesterday it dawned on me that that was the last of any "alone" time for awhile.....
It will be me and my three and I am so excited about that...but I also know my limits haha. Just this morning I told my Stay at Home friends that I don't see how they do it everyday. They said they ask themselves that same question sometimes. I appreciate their honesty.

So I am praying for patience and grace and I have high hopes of finding joy in the chaos this summer.  
Bennett Lee's one hope is to just be able to do exactly what his big siblings are doing. He tries his might to keep up and almost succeeds. I am exhausted chasing after him while he chases after them. No wonder he is always ready for bed.
He will spend his summer feeding the cat that isn't ours, seeing how close he can get to the road and will just be an absolute mess by bedtime.
He was officially a year and a half last month but of course did not get his very own blog post about it. I have been meaning to put a little update on here so someday I can look back just like I can the others. He weighs 27lbs (Em and Aug both weighed 23lbs) and he is in the 85th percentile in weight, height and head circumference. Our first baby to be as big as his head! Yesterday was also a first for us; we met with a Speech Pathologist to determine that B does in fact need speech. I have noted on here a few times that he doesn't say anything and the speech pathologist confirmed that speech wise he is very delayed. His speech is more like that of a 6 to 9 month old. We knew he was delayed but were a little surprised by that news. Everything else checks out just fine with him and we are very hopeful and excited to see how much he progresses over the summer. We are praying for progress because he will be so much happier (happier than he already is) when he can tell us things. I can't wait to hear what he has to say. (He is also already real sassy without talking so maybe really we should be worried!)
August Samuel will spend his summer changing clothes 10 times a day, telling me he doesn't need a nap, and playing in his own little farm/basketball/baseball world.
I asked him what he hoped to do this summer and he said he wants to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels, ride the lawn mower with Daddy and swim without floaties. 
I think all of that sounds very doable, Bud!
I am looking forward to his morning cuddles, his extra "I wuv yous" and his imagination.
Em will just be over at the neighbors all summer. The only way I can get her to come in is to remind her that she can see her best bud first thing in the morning. When I asked what her hopes were for the summer they all revolved around swimming. She wants to swim at the Newton pool with Nana, take swimming lessons and swim without floaties. Thats my girl! Oh, and she wants to go to Grandma Susie's house.
Also very doable. 
I am looking forward to sun-kissed, sweaty Em with her hair falling out of her ponytail. Curls sticking to her face. I hope this summer for her brings even more bravery, dancing in the rain and lots of lasting memories.

As a family I am hoping for many miles on the trec trail, impromptu fun and lots of it, good grilled food (lots of it too) and good times with our family and friends.

Sometimes when summer hits I feel this weird anxiousness around it. I felt it last week when everyone I ran into said, "Oh I bet you are so excited about summer break..."
I guess I feel a lot of pressure to make summer special and I think maybe I feel like I have to do all the things and not waste this sweet time we have together. Instead of opting to just sit and enjoy, I busy myself or I busy us. So while I have high hopes for lots of fun this summer, I know those lazy do-nothing days are just as important. So I have high hopes for them too. 




Comments

Popular Posts