Just the Start

We are only moving into our second week of summer break but it has already felt full and fun.
From getting filthy at the park (and filthy at home), library time, Homewood treats (aka ice cream for supper) and a weekend away, this summer is ranking right up there.
And it is just getting started. 
Before I do a little recap of our past week, I have to apologize to this handsome boy. When I was rocking wrestling Bennett to sleep at 4am on Saturday (ugh), it dawned on me that I had never given Auggie an end-of-preschool shout out. He finished up his first year of pre-school in early May and Doug and I are so proud of all he accomplished this year. We were slightly worried going in, just because Auggie is Auggie, but really we had nothing to worry about. He went from refusing to sit for a second to writing his name with the cutest little "g's". He made friends, learned Bible stories and only had a few time-outs (or at least he only told us about a few.) I loved seeing him sing at programs, hug his teacher tight and my handmade Bible bookmark with his little fingerprints and  wiggly written name is something I will cherish forever. 
We are so glad he loved pre-school. But I think our Auggie Boy loves summer break even more.
Everything we did last week came with Emery or Auggie (or even me) exclaiming something along the lines of, "Oh! This is Bennett's first time at the fill in the blank!" And then we would realize that that statement was false. Last summer he was just along for the ride, but 18 months old is much much different than 8 months old. As exhausting as he is, I still realized it is fun to experience these everyday, normal summer break moments with him. He has made everything new.
And everything dirty. Never have I ever had a child run with abandon in puddles up to their knees. But never have I ever had a child like Bennett. 
Besides the park, we hit up the Library for story time and crafts. In a shocking turn of events, all three of my kids sat quietly during story time. As they sat there sweetly in a line I was totally patting my own back in my mind. And because of this, I know for a fact they will never do that again haha. After story time, Em crafted with friends, Auggie (after announcing he was NOT crafting) found me tractor books to read and Bennett just made happy laps (and only got in one fight with another little kid.) They love all the fun things to do at our library. I love the air conditioning and the fact that the mess they make is there and not at my house.
Friday afternoon we packed the car and headed north to see Uncle Phil and Aunt Tari. My big kids love to visit their house. Emery is our little nature lover and their house is the perfect exploring spot. The girl also loves her cousins (did I mention Uncle Terry and the kids went up too?) so she really was in heaven. I don't feel like I even saw her. 
Auggie bounced back and forth from cousins to grow-ups. Really his eye was always on Uncle Phil's lawn mower. Uncle Phil and Douglas took him for a few rides and he told me he even got to drive it by his self. 
Bennett Lee spent most of his time.....being difficult? I mean he did love their cats, following the big kids around and making us laugh, but we have discovered recently that if B is taken out of his normal surroundings or normal schedule...Look. Out. The first night there was him up every two hours fighting mad and then officially up for the day at 4 in the morning. So he wouldn't wake a sleeping house, I drove around town with him for a few hours hoping he would sleep. Nope. I was running on Starbucks and the hope of a long nap by that point. Which I did get. Good thing he is so darn cute. 
I think he did have fun. I think. I also think that for the rest of the summer you might find Bennett at home.
These cousins got to stay up late, make messes, go on a nature scavenger hunt and eat all the s'mores they wanted. I can still hear the giggles. And from now on when we go up, they have to too. 
Sunday morning we left about as quick as we could get packed. We figured we would take our time getting home and planned a stop to see Aunt Kaci and the kids (and their new house!) and hit up Champaign for our annual Alma-mater visit. Both stops were good for the soul and not long enough. 
Emery Kayt ~ 5 1/2 years old
August Samuel ~ 3 1/2 years old
And last but certainly not least....
Bennett Lee ~ 18 months old
This one is my favorite.
We ate a late (and yummy) lunch in Champaign and there was no way I wanted to mess up a kitchen with a supper no one would eat. I personally wanted to end the weekend of bad eating with ice cream (last hoorah) and the rest of my crew agreed. Em had just been reunited with our neighbor so we asked if she could tag along too. The kids have never been that excited to climb back in a car and get buckled in. 
Bennett Lee strongly believes in equality and absolutely cannot miss out. And because of this I am learning that messes can be cleaned, that toddlers can do more than you think, and that I am a big sucker for blue eyes and a big dimple. 

Lots of lessons already this summer. And it is just the start. 

Comments

Popular Posts