Mother's Day 2019

I was treated, loved on, celebrated and appreciated all of last week. And I'm not gonna lie, it felt good! Teacher Appreciation week just happened to line up with Mother's Day this year and it just got me thinking about God's plan for me to do both. 
I believe He put on my heart the desire to teach (really to listen to and learn from) high schoolers and I know He is the one that blessed me with sweet babies to raise up for Him. 
Thankfully, He knew I couldn't do either alone and gave me so many good examples, mentors and helping hands. 

So really I should have been treating, loving on, celebrating and appreciating the grandmothers to my children, my sisters-in-law, my aunt, my girlfriends, the godmothers that bless my babies, my fellow teachers, our babysitter. These women show me the way, catch me when I fail, cheer me on, pray for me and push me to do better. 
I want you to know that I don't just celebrate you today. I need you everyday.
Earlier this week Doug and I both were celebrated at Em's school. They sang a sweet song during Mass and treated us to donuts in the classroom. I knew what she was secretly making for Doug, an Illini bowl that she made and painted, but I didn't know I would be getting a flower and handwritten card too. She wrote that I was helpful, funny and sweet. She thinks Doug is silly and loves when he plays with her. Out in the hall each student had made posters that told about their Mom or Dad. She knew our ages and jobs. She listed things we always say to her and what she likes to do with each of us. The teachers were gutsy and asked each child what their Mommy or Daddy liked to drink. Emery said tea for me-which is true. For Doug? Wine. Ha! You should have put that one down for me too, Em! This girl might be a Daddy's girl but she is the one that made me a Momma. I fail the most often with her but she has such a forgiving heart and an "oh well" attitude. Just what I need.
Saturday Em and I got all dressed up to celebrate Dee Dee and Austin's upcoming wedding!
I love being able to do big girl stuff with her. I don't want her to ever grow up and yet I am kind of loving it. 
These are some of the most important women in my life. Emery Kayt's Godmother D spoils her and loves so big. She would do anything for anybody. We have always joked that really I should have been Aunt Linda's daughter and I have always taken that as a compliment. I am pretty positive that she knows everything and we all rely on her. Austin picked the very best person to be joining our family. Dee Dee is go with the flow and is right there to help me when it comes to juggling this crazy family of mine. And my own Mom. She loves her children and grandchildren fiercely and would do absolutely anything for them. We take her for granted sometimes. It was fun to sit and chat with these women and celebrate the to-be newly-weds. Now bring on the wedding bells!!
Douglas and I took advantage of Nana being in town and planned a hot date that night...to Vandalia. 
We tried a new supper spot and were pleasantly full surprised. After that we hit our usual spot, the Wine Shop and then ended the night with our new favorite tradition, Niemerg's pie and decaf. We were home by 10 (and must be getting old.) I have found that laughing with my husband is good for my soul and if I ever win a Mother of the Year Award (they give those right?) he will be the first one I thank. I am so lucky to have him right by my side, team working this crazy thing called parenthood. 
The original Mother's Day plan was to pack a picnic and go fishing at Ballard. This would have marked year three for our fishing tradition. (Because all mothers want to go fishing on their special day, right?) Mother Nature had different plans. The whole weekend was wet and cold so we opted for plan B-bowling! This was actually our first family bowl and it went much better than I thought it would. I even beat my brother, Austin. Actually even my mother beat Austin. #winning
As I got hugged a few extra times over the weekend by my three, I thought about what each one has taught me. Emery Kayt has taught me forgiveness and given me confidence. Like I said before, I fail her the most. Being the first born, all of my motherhood firsts happen with her. When I forget to pack her lunch and when I am late to pick her up she still meets me with a smile and simply says "that's okay." I mess up lots of little stuff with her but she is the one that has pushed me to do better when it comes to all the big stuff. I want to be the role model my girl deserves. She thinks I am the best mommy in the world and just knowing that has given me a little boost of confidence. I have not always believed in myself or even really liked myself and I want the complete opposite for Em. I want her to know that she is made in the image of God and I want her to have all the confidence in the world. She has taught me that its okay to be messy and has slowed me down (even though I find myself trying to speed her up every morning) and I love her so much.
August Samuel has taught me about patience, true love, and how to just laugh. 
I always thought of myself as a patient person but come to find out, patience is not one of my virtues. This little man can push buttons like no other and I can remember the exact day that I realized I had a big lesson to learn and a lot to work on. Patience is always at the top of my prayer list now and I can proudly say that I have grown a lot in this area. Aug's gonna keep pushing boundaries so I am going to have to keep working on patience. Not a bad thing to have to work on I guess.
 Auggie loves me unconditionally and I fell so hard for this blonde haired boy. He has been all mine since the moment we met and has taught me how to love big. He has brought so much love and laughter into my life and I look forward to loving and laughing with him forever and ever.
Bennett Lee has taught me how important teamwork is, shown me my true priorities and brought me so much joy. Bennett made Doug and I officially out numbered. The whole dynamic of our family changed and he brought out the best in all of us. I have learned just how important communication is and just how thankful I am for help. And I have the best help. Priorities changed when Bennett came along too. I used to have my act together or in all honesty I wanted it to appear like I did, but thankfully I have shifted away from that. We are going to be loud, we are going to be messy but we are going to be happy. That's what I want my kids to remember. Bennett Lee also brought us all joy. Joy is gladness not based on circumstances. The worst day can be changed the minute I see B and he has made it easy to find the joy everyday. 

I am very very grateful and very lucky to get to be the Momma of these three.
Sunday was extra special because we were also able to celebrate my Grandpa. He turned 80! He is doing so good and I am so proud of him. This past year he was heartbroken and his health really took a turn for the worse but thank the Lord, he is back to being the happy, loving, wise Grandpa he has always been. We had a simple little get together because I know all he really cares about is having us all together. 
I love this picture. Go back about 25 years and I am sure you will find a picture of me, Austin and Avery just like this one. We are lucky to have him as a Grandpa and I love that my kids know his love too. I missed Grandma all day but we stopped and gave her Mother's Day flowers and I could feel her all around me. She knows how much I love her. 

We stopped in Grove after cake and ice cream to wish Grandma Susie a Happy Mother's Day; there was no way we could leave her out! Em, Aug and B love visiting her house and its not just because of her yummy food and endless supply of pop tarts. Its because of the overflowing amount of love she has for them. Susie, Nana, Grandma Angie and Gigi--My kiddos got lucky in the grandmother department. 

We had a big day and it was a good day. 
Happy Mother's Day 2019















Comments

Popular Posts