Em's 6th Birthday Week Recap

The week of July 16th is one of my favorite weeks of the year. Originally I loved it because it was my wedding week. Two years later it was the week I became a mother. Now I get to celebrate both blessings all week long (of course now it is really alllll about the girl). Reflecting back through this week, I am realizing that this 6th birthday week is going to be hard to top. We made so many sweet memories, and most of all I love that Em will remember them. 
There has to be a little backstory leading up to Em's birthday. She started asking for an American Girl doll about two years ago. I think she only knew of them because for some reason we get the magazine (how do they know a little girl lives here?!?). The answer has been an "I don't know Em....we will see..." for some time now. I never had an American Girl doll growing up, it was something I secretly longed for when I saw them at the neighbor girls. So while I loved the idea of being able to make my daughter's wish come true, I wanted to wait for the right age. Doug was pretty anti-doll for awhile (because they are ridiculous) but that is all Em would talk about. For months and months we would ask her what she wanted for her birthday and her answer never wavered: an American Girl doll and a trip to the American Girl Store (she tacked that on later). We still kept up our "I don't know" answer...even up to the very day before her birthday. Auggie even told me on the side that Em was secretly sad that she wasn't getting one and wished she had told Nana or Grandma Susie that she wanted one (HA....I wonder who she has wrapped around her little finger). Monday we told her Grandma and Grandpa and Nana were coming over and we were just going to do a tiny little celebration and then just do whatever she wanted on her actual birthday the next day. You know, keep it simple. She just smiled and nodded (on the inside I think she was wondering what the heck was going on). 
I am pretty certain that she thought the highlight of the night was going to be this UNICORN cake. Em loves all things ice cream and all things unicorn so when we stumbled upon this ice cream cake at Wal-mart we had to have it. It was by far the gaudiest thing I had ever seen (or eaten) and its insides were even brighter than the out. I am a chocolate girl myself and figured I would hate whatever this was but it was actually delicious. Who knew?! Even though the cake really was yummy and fun that was NOT the best part of the night....
Gifting Emery her sweet American Girl doll Lexi (named by Em) is a moment I will never forget. Of course Bennett thought it was for him (he hearts all dolls) and Auggie was just as shocked as Em....but that look on Emery's face....
Well actually it looked just like this look. This is the moment she heard me say that not only did she get an American Girl doll for her birthday, but we were taking a trip to Chicago by train the very next day, with some very special people. Little did Emery know that for a few months Nana, Grandma Susie, Aunt Julie, Katie and I had been secretly planning a girls trip for her. It was actually a surprise for Katie too and you should have heard the sweet phone call that happened shortly after the shock wore off. Both girls were so excited! But do you know who was even more excited....the Grandmothers! They were giddy! And I can't lie, so was I. 
We ended the party early because we had a train to catch early the next morning. 
I don't think any of us really slept that night-too excited. Well maybe Lexi did....Em took extra good care of her.
We boarded the train bright dark and early. Neither girls had ever been on a train so the trip was already new and exciting. They played with their matching dolls, enjoyed a donut and watched the clock; our arrival could not come soon enough. 
We made it to Chicago earlier than expected and didn't have too much trouble ubering it to American Girl. As we walked along Michigan Avenue it hit me that this was Em (and Katie's) first time in Chicago, first time seeing buildings that high, traffic that loud and busy. We told them to look up at the skyscrapers and after that I watched them watch the city. Later Em even exclaimed that a building was so high we couldn't see the top because of the clouds! Little moments like that is what I really I loved about this trip. 
We had a little time to kill before the store opened so we took our time exploring. The girls quickly became experts at turnstile doors and escalators. They became quite the little city slickers.
At 10am on the dot we walked into American Girl. It was magical! So many dolls, outfits, accessories. Having no idea where to start, I had booked a "Personal Shopper" when I called American Girl a few months ago. This was totally free of charge and was described to me as a woman whose job was to lead you around the store and just make sure you see it all and have a good time. Right away Ingrid found us with a huge shopping bag in tow-like seriously bigger than she was. She explained to the girls that when they saw something they liked they were to put it in the bag and then later on we would go to a special room and look through what they picked and make final decisions. The girls just had big eyes and were a bit overwhelmed at first by this (and the mothers were a bit worried because we really weren't there to spend too much money....it was more of an experience trip!). The girls sweetly walked around the store with Ingrid but never picked out a thing. Finally, Grandma Susie grabbed an outfit off the shelf, showed it to the girls, and put it in the bag....the girls quickly followed her lead! By the time they were done shopping we had three larger than life shopping bags full. When we finally cut them off, we arranged a plan to play and see the rest of the store at our own pace and to meet back up with Ingrid to check out our picks right before lunch.
When it was time to meet back up with Ingrid, we thought a friendly little reminder to the girls wouldn't hurt--you can't get it all, you must pick out what you LOVE! Em had birthday money from Aunt Linda and Dora to spend (thank you!!!) and both Grandma's planned on buying a birthday gift too--just the right amount of presents. When Ingrid unloaded their picks Julie and I went to sorting (my mom snapped this picture of me holding six boxes of outfits...and sent it to Doug to scare him ha!). Some items were clear no's and some were clear yes's. In the end both girls picked out the perfect items and they were such big girls about it. Em went with a new cheerleader outfit for her doll and Katie picked out a volleyball outfit for hers. So them. Earlier in the day we were worried that a "Personal Shopper" meant someone pressuring us to buy more items but that was not the case at all. For first timers, we had a wonderful shopping experience. 
We ate lunch at American Girl and really that might have been my favorite part. They had high chairs for the dolls and cute little conversation cards for us to read during our wait. I loved hearing the girls' answers to questions like "what superpower would you want?" or "what do you love about where you live?" It was also nice to just sit and relax because by then I think the day was catching up with everyone. 
But the yummy food perked us all right up. Everything was so thought out and cute at American Girl (even the bathrooms!). Emery and Katie both loved every minute and I think Katie might already be planning her next birthday (sorry Julie!).  After lunch we had a little bit of time to kill before our train home so we walked in the rain to the Disney Store and to a candy shop. All those fancy stores on Michigan Avenue...give me a Disney Store and some candy any day. We made it back to Union Station in plenty of time and it was nice to sit in the beautiful Grand Hall and reminisce about our trip. Katie gave Em a handwritten card and a doll brush there to add to all the other sweet moments from the day. Thats the word that came to mind when Doug asked me how the trip was: sweet. Sweet memories were made. 
Thank you, Katie and Julie for going with us! You made our trip extra fun!
Thank you Nana for going with us! We know you have been dreaming of this since Em was born!
And thank you Grandma Susie for going with us! How special for two granddaughters to get to experience this with you!
We were worn out on the way home and really should have slept but instead we laughed, we played, we made friends with the conductor and we even explored the Cafe Car (inside joke). We got home much later than planned but thats okay; there was a double rainbow waiting for us at home. 
Doug had a great time with the boys while we were gone. See proof above. Okay really the boys went to the babysitter during the day and I think Auggie was fine....B just had an off couple of days. Boys got big emotions and isn't real sure what to do with them. Much better now though! All three of my men were excited to see us when we got home and of course we couldn't wait to tell them all about it. For being so tired, we stayed up late again sharing stories and showing off our purchases. 
Emery thanked us again as she went to bed that night. Like I said before, this birthday will be hard to top!
Wednesday we slept in....and then had to hustle. We had a ballgame to catch! You are probably thinking we are crazy, but I would call passing up free Cardinal tickets crazy. We get to go once a year because Nana's boss graciously gifts us tickets. This year the Linders' treated us twice. That reminds me...I need to have Emery and Auggie make them a card. 
It was HOT at the game and our awesome seats didn't feel so awesome. They felt hot. We lasted one inning before moving to shade.
Lucky for us, a hot, noon, weekday game is pretty darn empty, so there were plenty of good shady seats to pick from. We happened to pick seats where not one, but two home runs were hit! The breeze felt good, the game was exciting and we won; it doesn't get much better than that!
Actually it does--Auggie was getting a little antsy at the very end of the game so Doug took the kids to watch Carlos Martinez warm up in the bullpen. Next thing I know, they are back with a ball! I guess it pays to wave nicely at the bullpen catcher (and to be so darn cute!). It was a perfect way to end the game. On the way home we stopped in Collinsville to do something the kids had never done....eat at a buffet. So fancy haha. We went to Golden Corral and it was love at first sight of the chocolate fountain. They both called it a "paffet" the whole time and now think every restaurant should have that many choices. We left full and ready to see B. 
I had every intention of taking Bennett to the Cardinal game. I had decided he could finally handle it, we would just walk around when needed, go in with low expectations. And then I saw the forecast and the temperature....and then I got the picture from Doug of him screaming....and then Doug's parents came to the rescue. Instead he ate corn on the cob for the first time and was dotted on all day. He kind of likes being an only child. We were all much happier in the end. 
On Thursday we stayed put. Well first we bought school supplies and a few groceries and the boys got haircuts, but then we stayed put. Right in the pool. Really that is where you could have found us the rest of the week. 
On Friday Em got to celebrate her birthday with her very best friend, Charlee. The Jansen girls had their very first sleep over! I know Em has slept over at cousins and of course at Grandma and Grandpa's, but this time felt different. This time she felt so old--I was surprised I struggled so much with it when I am usually a "push them out the door, they'll have fun" kind of mom. Maybe I am still in denial that she is six. While I very mush missed her, she did not miss me. Probably because the Jansen's pampered her and had so many fun things planned. I know they made parfaits, colored their hair, swam, made bestie keychains....and thats just the short list. She had the best time and is now planning for when Charlee can come to our house. 
It was fun just having the boys. Auggie follows in Em's footsteps so much that I thought he would be bored and lost. Instead I think he loved the extra Mommy-Auggie time. We swam all afternoon and then Doug and I decided to treat the boys to supper out. Once we got to supper we weren't sure why we thought it was such a wonderful idea....yes we were down to two kids instead of three....but we still had the hard two! Boys are fun. And hard. And fun. 
We got our Emery back Saturday morning just in time for t-ball. I suppose we won. Auggie always says we win. Doug had a guys day planned so Nana helped me out for the afternoon, and by help I mean swam with us all afternoon. That is what we do at home. All three have become quite the little fish this year.  
We finished off the week with an impromptu family cookout with my family. When I texted about it Aunt Linda asked what we were celebrating....nothing! We just hadn't seen everyone in awhile, Em wanted to swim with Alayna, and all of us ladies wanted to talk about the upcoming wedding. We had  to shut Auggie off after five ears of corn, so you could say the cookout was a success. 
Em's sixth birthday week was the perfect mix for her. It was go-go-go at the beginning and run around barefoot at home in the end. Whatever we were doing she was happy and that makes me happy. Can't wait to see what fun this year has in store for her!

This week we plan to do nothing. And that kind of sounds wonderful. We will let what little of summer we have left go by as slowly as possible. 

Here's to all three babies napping at once, cooler weather and an open calendar!






















Comments

Popular Posts