Memories Made

It's been quiet over here. That doesn't mean we haven't been making memories. Some of these pictures are from this past weekend and some are from weeks ago. All of them are sweet to me and remind me of something special.
I cannot help but smile when I look at this picture. Look at the pure joy on those sweet faces. This was our first snow day of the year, and our dear friends came over for the morning. They knew we needed visitors (and God knew we needed a snow day). It took more time to bundle everyone up than it did for them to become icicles; but it was nothing a big mug of hot chocolate couldn't fix. Friends (Doug and I's and the kids) are just good for the soul. God gives us our people, and he gave Doug and I the best.
Douglas and the kids treated me to a quiet day at home; they went to Grandma and Grandpa's. Auggie may be the one that pretends to be the farmer, but Bennett was the only one to actually ride in the combine this year. He came home so excited about his very own ear of corn. All I can see in this picture are their matching blue eyes. My favorite color in the world. (I also see the moose hat. Can't miss the moose hat.)
We felt like we needed a little trip away this past weekend, so we planned a quick trip to St. Louis. We were gone less than 24 hours....and this is what Auggie packed. I mean I did tell him he could take his shark blanket and what ever he wanted to put in it....I didn't know it would be everything he owns. Emery had a matching mermaid tail just as full; they looked like body bags sitting on the counter. In shocking news, we made it home with everything we took. 
We went to the Brewery in St. Louis to see all the Christmas lights. The weather was perfect and watching the kids' eyes light up was well worth the late night. 
Douglas thinks this should be our Christmas card photo. Forget that its not appropriate at all.....
This is more like it for the card pic. It was fun to stroll the streets and "Ooooo and ahhh" all the lights. We will be back. 
Our kiddos love nothing more than staying at a hotel. Emery and Auggie are old pros and Bennett was loving it....until it was actually time to go to sleep. At midnight (after about two hours of laughing and crying-he and us) he sadly stated, "Unna go ome" which translates to "I want to go home". By that time I was thinking me too, Buddy! I will forever remember Bennett waltzing into Doug and I's side of the room, after we thought he was asleep, and waving "Hi" with the orneriest grin on his face. By far not the easiest hotel stay, but it was still fun. 
Sunday the Jansen kids met the Arch. We have spotted it on our way to ballgames many times, but had never touched it, looked up at it or explored it. Em thought it was beautiful, Auggie loved the museum, and Bennett just liked being difficult (maybe you should have went to bed before midnight B...). It was a silent ride home and early bedtimes for all that night. 

I always love our little getaways. They always remind me that kids are simple and sweet. They always refresh me (and exhaust me haha). And they always make me thankful for the opportunity to make memories with my loves. 

Those are just a few of the memories made from the past few weeks. But I find sometimes that memories can be links to other memories. Just like a certain smell can transport you to another place and time, one memory can link you to the next. So these memories will remind me of others; I will read these words and look at these faces, and I will remember. 









Comments

Popular Posts