One Fish, Two Fish: A Weekend Trip to St. Louis

For Christmas Nana gifted us a weekend away to the new aquarium in St. Louis. Nana knows making memories is the way to go! We have been looking forward to this long weekend since then and thankfully, we didn't have to wait long. 
Auggie and his peace sign again. 

We left early-ish Saturday morning, just in time to get there with everyone else haha. Really once we got in line everything went quickly and there wasn't much wait time. The kids kept asking us questions, and our answer was that everything was new for us too! It's so fun to see the world through their eyes. Emery fell in love with the otters (my favorite too) and couldn't wait to find sea horses because she wore her sea horse earrings. Auggie was brave and touched the sting rays and asked the workers questions about sharks. And Bennett loved every second and was very vocal about it (he knows one volume--can't understand him but you can hear him). 
While I really did love the otters and the sting rays, this was my favorite view of the day. Cutest little heads I ever did see. 
Outside we braved the wind and cold for a carousel ride. You can't pass up a carousel ride. Bennett was all smiles and waves for this fun too. 
We stumbled upon the yummiest place for lunch. It's called The Fountain on Locust, and I don't think I have ever had a yummier soup or ice cream. My Mom and I already want to go back for the soup. The kids want to go back for the ice cream. Emery had strawberry on strawberry, Auggie had the darkest chocolate ice cream I have ever seen, and Bennett had a baby hot fudge sundae...and then drank the rest of Em's. The dishwashers could have probably skipped our bowls, we cleaned them that well.
Saturday evening we swam (really Doug and the kids swam, Nana and I stood in waste deep freezing), we went to Target to look at toys and we got my favorite pizza in town. Dewey's. Get the Porky Fig. This pizza always make me think of my friend Kendra because her husband introduced us to it. I love it and I don't even like pizza. Back at the hotel we played charades, and I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard. When it was the kids' turn to act, Doug or I would whisper the animal, word or action to them. Their ideas of how to act out the words were hilarious. Two of my favorites were when Emery got "belly dancing" and laid down on the floor and wiggled on her belly and when Auggie got "ice cream cone" and stood like a statue. We didn't guess either, but we were crying by the time those rounds were over from laughing so hard. If you have kids around Em and Aug's age, I highly suggest playing charades. 
The last time we stayed at a hotel with Bennett we vowed to never do it again. And yet....

I had very low expectations this time, but to my surprise everyone was asleep by 10, and I only got out of bed like 8 times haha. Still calling it a win. Sunday we were up early for breakfast and one more quick swim (Emery was reminded this trip that she wants to be a mermaid and live in the water) before heading to the Galleria for a little shopping and lunch. Then home. 
Thank you again Nana for a fun trip full of laughs and memories. This trip just has me wanting to plan our next adventure. Especially this summer; my fish are ready to swim!

Tomorrow we have a day off to recuperate from our weekend away. My plans include sleeping in and sitting under my heated blanket with a few kids on my lap. I hope you have a good Monday too. 







Comments

Popular Posts