Just Us ~ Week 5

Okay. Week Five was maybe my hardest week so far. Sitting here on this Monday, I am like what the heck did we even do last week? The whole week kind of blurs together for me...but the weekend...the weekend made it all better. 
I first blame the weather. We went from getting sunburns in our short sleeves and shorts to cooped up inside under my our heating blanket. You know its bad when even Em and Aug don't get along. I heard a lot of "I just want some alone time..." from Emery Kayt which just leaves Auggie lost. Bennett bounced from also being lost and lonely (and needy) to staying busy with his new found love for our old Paw Patrol toys. All around the week had more pjs all day, more tv, more messes, and more tears. 
Friday was my hardest day. School was officially cancelled. I knew it was going to be, and I know it is for the best. That is why I was surprised at how hard it hit me. I knew I missed my own family and friends, but I don't think I knew how much I was missing my other "family". Right now I am thankful for zoom and email and texting...but it can never replace the feeling of walking into Early Bird and seeing 19 full seats and knowing it is going to be a good day, or the feeling of slacking off with my beloved senior class because I know I don't have much more time with them and I just want to talk to them as people.  I am proud of my students-they are taking this all like champs and rallying around their own education. What a glorious day the 1st day back in August will be!
So Monday through Friday were blah. But the weekend. Weekends feel different even though everything is the same. First of all, sunshine. Second of all, Daddy is way more fun than I am and he isn't "at" work. Mornings are slow and we wake one by one. We usually eat a big breakfast together. This weekend it was pancakes with butter, peanut butter, syrup, chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles. You know, just a light healthy breakfast to get us going. 
On weekends we take naps. I had a headache on Saturday, so after I drove a not so happy B around and successfully laid him down, I laid down for a short nap too. Over two hours later....
Our long naps let Doug mulch in peace and let the big kids play in the creek. So naps make everybody happy. 
Auggie lives his best life on the weekends. He usually has a running to-do list of things he and Doug need to do together. Fix his tractor, clean the garage, fix bikes, batting practice with the metal bat, golf lessons. And the boy doesn't forget a thing, so the list will be accomplished. 
But these are all sweet moments. You will notice there are no pics of Em. We don't see her all day-she lives in the creek now. This break has already brought out her wild, care free, flower child side. Dirt under her fingernails, sun kissed and always sweaty. But she does let me braid her hair now, so I am calling all of this a win. 
We ended the weekend with a perfect Sunday. Late in the afternoon the kids and I went on a long bike ride while Douglas ran. Em is always barely within eyesight and we need to take her training wheels off, Auggie tries to keep up with her, and I try to keep up with Bennett on his balance bike. You should see him. The kids and I stopped at a bench to rest and noticed a trail leading down into the woods. Always up for an adventure, we decided to check it out. 
Down in the woods we kept an eye out for Doug, and when we saw him running we hollered at him to join us. We could see a large sand bank and decided that was the ultimate goal. It was shoes and socks off....and then for some reason pants off...and into the sand and water they went! It was like our own little island, and we have already made plans to pack a picnic and go back for more. By the time we got back to our car it was going on 7 so we picked up a pizza, scarfed it down, hosed off the sandy babes and put everyone to bed. It was such a summer like Sunday and it made me happy. 

I am ready and hoping for more days like Sunday.

Really I am thankful that my "bad" week wasn't at all bad in the big scheme of things. But I think we are all allowed to feel how we feel. We as a family continue to pray for everyone who this pandemic is affecting and we hope this is a good or at least better week for all. 















Comments

Popular Posts