Just Us ~ Week 10

Week 10 of "Just Us" felt a little different. Probably because it wasn't "just us" anymore. This past week marked the first time we have seen some of our family and friends in over 10 weeks. We were careful and will continue to be so....but dang it felt good to get out of the house and see some faces we have been missing so much!
The week started off celebrating the official end of school and start of summer (although school and summer feel like they have blurred together). While this school year was not like anything we could have imagined, it was still really really good to us. Emery is a reading and writing machine. She got closer to friends this year and continues to be a kind includer and hard worker. She did not love distance learning; she would much rather be outside, and it was hard to concentrate with two little brothers around. 2nd grade will be fun though. I think she will love having Auggie at school with her full time (almost as much as he will love it), but for now she is majorly in summer mode. 
I cannot say enough good things about Pups Patch Pre-school and what they have done for this big guy. He fell hard for school and loves learning (hence the 4 million questions a day). Ms. Kortney somehow knows exactly what each of her students needs and taps into their potential even at this young age. He really missed school, and I don't feel like I did him justice with this whole distance learning thing. He already has kindergarten on the brain, and I just hope he continues this love of learning. He is going to keep us on our toes, but it is always going to be fun with this one. 
And look how much they have grown. My 4 and 6 year olds are about to be a year older, and I am stuck in the middle of wanting to stop time and fast forward to see how much they continue to change and grow. 
In the middle of the week Douglas and I went on our first "date" in forever. We drove to Danville and back. How fun, right!?! The reason and story is long, but I will shorten it for ya. Auggie wants a real basketball hoop for his birthday. We searched high and low, and it seems like everyone in the world is buying all the basketball hoops. I made a random call to a sporting goods store in Danville and stumbled upon a deal way way to good to pass up. Hence the big boxes and the date to Danville. My date even bought me dinner and a dessert for the car ride. He is a keeper! 
The kids and I finished the week at Ballard. It rained allllll week it felt like, so some sunshine and trails were very much needed. Every time we go we find a new secret spot; this time we saw lots of fish, the prettiest birds and a snake. 
And look at this cute scene. Every mother out there melts when their kids have sweet little unprompted moments. After this I had to run down to the pond as Bennett almost went tumbling in. But it was sweet while it lasted. 
Saturday was Deck Day! Doug had been working hard on our new deck when the weather allowed it; Saturday he was determined to get it done. Good thing he had the best help!
I walked out to this scene in the morning. No biggie, just Em running the impact drill like she does it all the time. The big kids actually got to help quite a bit. More than I did. Nana brought us lunch to grill that afternoon, and it was nice to sit outside and visit with her while the kids played. It felt like old times! 
Here is the before. Sunken in and weedy. 
And here is the beautiful after! I love it so much. We still need a step, but other than that it is our new favorite spot. Eventually we will stain it and the old deck to match. I want big comfy patio furniture for this spot and Doug to build me a farm house table for the upper deck eating area. I also picture patio lights and some flower boxes. Poor Douglas....the honey-do list never stops. 
After a day of hard work, we decided ice cream for supper sounded perfect. Even better....we actually got to sit at a restaurant. Outside is fine with me! I don't know which the kids were more excited about--ice cream for supper or actually getting to go to a place other than home or Ballard. Okay actually I know the answer for Em....ice cream for sure. 
Sunday we drove to Grove to do a little outside celebrating of our niece Brooke graduating from high school. I know how badly my kids miss their cousins, and I hope more time together can happen soon. After that we went on the boat with Chuck (and his five dogs). All of my kids love the boat, but Bennett is my real boat boy. He wants to go fast and make waves at all times. Auggie likes to "drive" and Em is happy to just relax and take in the sights. We want to swim next time we are out there. 

Monday evening Doug and I made supper for my Grandpa and Dad; we had not seen them for the longest time. They couldn't get over how much the kids have grown and loved hearing Bennett talk up a storm. The whole Memorial Day weekend felt almost normal, and I so hope we can continue in that direction. While I have kind of come to love our just us, slowed down pace, it felt good to get dressed up and see a few of our favorite people. 

I hope this week brings more sunshine and fun. For everyone!

























Comments

Popular Posts