Just Us ~ Week 8 & 9

Today marks Week 10 of this Just Us-Quarintine-Social-Distancing Gig. I guess time flies....when you are stuck at home. Okay so really time flies when you are outside soaking up the sunshine (and rain), playing from sun up to sun down, and just making little everyday memories. Recapping our biggest little moments from the past two weeks. 
First up, the New Deck. We have a nice big deck out the back door that goes down to what was an awful pile of sunken in concrete pavers. Doug and I have been brainstorming what to do here for quite some time. We finally landed on taking out that banister and step you still see in the picture and making this whole area a lower deck. Douglas has moved all the pavers, dug post holes, moved dirt and rock, measured, leveled (and leveled again), cut and assembled the frame and joists....that leaves the actual deck boards! I have been zero help except holding this here, writing this there and having an opinion. I think I am the most excited though. I cannot wait for this space! 
This kids have all had fun helping where they can. Auggie is power tool obsessed and Bennett is always attracted to mud. Doug could probably get way more done without them, but it has been sweet to see them "work" together. Lots of memories are going to made on this new deck.
Normally on Mother's Day we are on the go, celebrating with the women in our lives. Our Mother's Day looked a lot different this year. I was woken up with breakfast in bed. Cinnamon Roll with pink sprinkles, yogurt and Nutella, fresh squeezed orange juice, cold brew, and a freshly picked (fake) flower. Emery and Auggie loved treating me. Bennett set beside me and wanted them to bring him breakfast too. I elected to eat my breakfast in the kitchen (less bouncy). It was perfect. The rest of the day was spent working on the deck and me going to Wal-Mart, not just for pick up! When all of this social distancing is over I can't wait to celebrate with the amazing women in life!
I think school is "officially" over next week, but I guess you could say we are unofficially done. Em's sweet teacher stopped by to hand deliver end of the year work and everything from her desk and cubby. It was fun to read back through her journals and see how far her handwriting and spelling has come. I know Emery misses Mrs. Conrady and her friends; she had a great year in 1st grade.
Auggie's class has zoomed three day a week and Friday was their last one. This is him waving goodbye to his teachers and friends. They start every meeting with a prayer, and I might have cried on Friday hearing him recite it for the last time. Out of all my kids, I am most sad for him--missing out on Kindergarten prep and a cute graduation he deserves. He loves school and is going to love Kindergarten....its me that isn't ready. 
Bennett didn't necessarily have school, but he did have his first and second experience with zoom; he even happily called them his "Oooom Class" and was so excited. Really it is time for his annual speech evaluation, so we zoomed with the Occupational Therapist and a different Speech Pathologist. Sadly (like we are really, really sad) he has not been able to have normal speech this whole time we have been at home. His speech has come leaps and bounds in the last few months, but we really could see a difference with speech. We also miss his Speech Pathologist; he loves her! He didn't do too bad on the zoom (the attention span lasted about how long I thought it would), and we will have a big call this week to discuss the plan going forward. He does not stop talking now which is the biggest answered prayer....now we just need to understand him ha!
Bennett Lee had a big week because he also moved rooms and got a "big boy" bed. With a little brother or sister on the way, we knew Bennett would be moving out of his room sometime this summer. We talked about making the bottom bunk bigger and the boys sharing or Douglas making a toddler bed to replace the Barbie house location. Then I saw a toddler bed on Facebook for $20 and my decision was made. He loves it! Doesn't necessarily sleep in in great yet by any means, but he loves the idea of it. We moved the monitor to this room and the first night Doug and I couldn't wait to listen in. We knew Emery and Auggie tell each other stories every night; it was sweet to hear them talk back and forth. B was silent the whole time, even through the "good night, love you" between his siblings. Emery went on to tell the boys that if they were ever scared or needed anything to let her know (my momma heart was bursting by then), and then we finally heard Bennett. "Poopy-head!" Way to ruin the sweet moment Bennett! He proceeded to repeat himself over and over, laughing in between. He then got up and danced down the hallway about four times before finally falling asleep. We have had some awesome nights and some not so awesome nights since then. All I care about is him sleeping like a rock by the time baby is here. I believe in you B!
Thursday we had our first not "Just Us" adventure. Trolls was on at the Drive-In, and I knew the big kids would love it. The weather looked bad all week, so I lost hope until the last minute. We surprised Nana too by inviting her. Grandparents can only stay away from their grandchildren for so long! We were the first ones to arrive and got the best spot. Look who just happened to get the spot next to us! I promise it really was a coincidence! Besides this picture, the Drive-In made it easy to social distance, and I know Em and Aug loved getting to do something. Early in the day, before I had told them what we were doing, I had them guess what my surprise was for them. Auggie very excitedly guessed,"That the Corona is over!?!?" My heart kind of sank with that one. We wish Aug!
Douglas and Bennett enjoyed their one-on-one time together. I know they worked on the deck, ate cookies, took a long (and fast per Bennett) bike ride and watched some of Frozen. Guys night at its finest!
August Samuel had a big weekend. He bravely said goodbye to training wheels and hello to fast freedom! He is already learning how to make black skid marks on the road and wants to go as fast as possible. Such a boy. Now we just need to get B a bike with peddles (we don't think he will ever need training wheels thanks to his balance bike) and we will be a family on the go!
I did Quarantine Haircuts weeks ago, but it was very much time again. Pretty proud of my work minus the fact that I get hair everywhere. You should have seen Bennett....lets just say hair and drool do not mix. 
Those are all out "big" moments from the last week. The in-between moments consist of Emery, with her messy hair and dirty fingernails, searching for Indian beads, Auggie, with his old jeans and farm boots, riding his tractor, and Bennett Lee, trying to keep up, sneaking inside to eat ice cream sandwiches when he thinks no one is looking. 

I need to finish grading by Wednesday and then we will officially be on Summer Break. I can't help but wonder what this Summer Break will be like. But if we still have big and little moments like the past weeks, I think we will do just fine. 

Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay happy.









Comments

Popular Posts