Father's Day Weekend 2020 || A Trip North

I will have to check with all involved, and of course with Douglas and the Dads of our weekend, but I am thinking a little trip up North needs to be the new Father's Day Tradition...
Before I recap our weekend I need to praise this man right here. A million years ago I watched him scoop up baby nieces in his arm where they felt safe and comforted. I saw him play ball with little nephews who watched his every move. I knew back then that he would be the best father, but I don't think I really knew just what a wonderful Dad he would be. If they follow his example, I will have four hard-working, big-hearted kiddos, and I will have him to thank. 
Friday we headed north. First stop: Jason and Kaci's House! We needed to meet the newest member of the crew (not pictured), my kids wanted to play and swim, and I just wanted to see my best friend. In hindsight I barely saw Aldridge (I promise he is a cutie), but I did have the best time catching up and watching these six swim and play. This sun in the eye pic cracks me up-maybe we can have them redo it someday. I just love them. After a day in the pool, a yummy supper and cupcakes for Winnie's birthday, we drove for another hour to Doug's brother's house. 
Phil and Tari's has become one of our favorite little vacation spots over the years. You are guaranteed yummy food, relaxation and lots of catching up. The girls spent their time playing outside, building legos, doing their American Girl dolls' hair....and eating pie. Lots and lots of big, over the top pie from a cute little shop downtown. I love the memories they are making. 
I think the first thing out of Auggie's mouth to Uncle Phil was "When can I ride the tractor?"
He thinks Uncle Phil is pretty darn cool and already wants to head back. 
This one followed the big kids around and kept us laughing. He ate his fair share of pie too. 
This bunch always has fun. Coming from a small family, I love love love all this fun cousin stuff for my kids, and this is just a small portion of all their favorite people. We have a big family trip soon in celebration of Kelsey's wedding and we kind of can't wait!
Sunday, after Doug and his brothers played golf, we headed home. Bennett was out until we stopped at Champaign to walk around campus like we usually do. After that he talked (and talked) while the big kids slept. We ended up stopping by Grove in the evening to wish Sammy a Happy Father's Day. After that it was baths and bed. Doug came out of the kids' room smiling at bedtime. Em had sweetly told him that she had one more thing to say before she went to sleep. "Happy Father's Day"....which then caused Auggie to wish Doug the same...which then caused Bennett to yell one last "Happy Birthday!"

Douglas deserves all of these one more "Happys" and then some. 

It was the best laid back weekend and now we are ready for the next. Happy Monday!

Comments

Popular Posts