Back in the Swing of Things

For being on our own schedule for the last six months, we surprisgly jumped right back into the swing of things with ease and mostly excited attitudes. (Monday mornings are rough...but aren't they always..)
Right now we are stuck somewhere in-between summer mode and school mode, and for now we are loving the combo.  
Our mornings are a lot of Doug and I reminding the bigs kids to keep moving. I swear that whatever time I wake them, it is never quite enough. Later this week we all did much better though! B has taken it upon himself to pick out his own clothes, which is usually an interesting combination of his and Auggie's. No matter what he is a cutie. I take the big kids to school, and Doug takes Bennett to Sharon's. My favorite part of the day is picking Em and Aug up and seeing them hand in hand. Auggie excitedly tells me about his day first, and Em fills in the gaps after that. They are both loving school, weird 2020 changes and all. The big kids and I have a little time at home to chill out (and talk me into ice cream sandwiches) and then its time to get Bennett. I can tell my three miss each other during the day because until bedtime they are the three best friends. With no extracurriculars right now it is nice to turn off school mode in the evenings and turn on summer mode. It is still a struggle to get them to come in at dark. We keep inching up bedtime because the more sleep the happier we all are...and then we get up and do it all over again. 
I would be lying if I said I wasn't ready for fall weather (and even a newborn in my arms), but I am just going to enjoy what we have going right now. 
One specific thing I love about the school year are the weekends. Weekends are always special, but school year weekends are the best. Our first one of the year did not disappoint. Emery Kayt had a girl weekend with Katie. She stayed the night Friday and came home Saturday afternoon. I know Em loves us...but I am pretty sure she would live with Katie. Cousins turned best friends turned practically sisters.
While the girl was away, the boys decided to play!
 (And let me tag along.)
Auggie has been begging to golf for the longest time. Doug and I decided a successful first week of school (not counting that first day) earned him a round of 9. He was up at 6:30 with his "golfing" polo on; we were out the door by 8. Auggie is Doug's little shadow so of course rode in the cart with him. They would both tee-up, Doug would play the fairway, and Auggie would join him back on the greens to putt it in. Auggie seems to be naturally athletic and that showed on the course. He hit way better than I would have!
This one was my golfing buddy. He also hit it from the tee box and joined back on the putting greens--all with his little plastic toy club. He swings as fast as he can and spent his time chasing his ball all over before hitting it in the hole. After that he yelled either "Goalllll!" "Hole in one!!" "Birdie!" or a combo of the three. Always proud of himself, this one.

In Bennett's words, the morning was "dodo" fun (his word for super)!
Saturday evening we had the cutest visitors. Seriously, the cutest. I had been missing Ashley and Brady (and their Mom and Dad); a night of yummy food and friends was just what we all needed. I can't get enough of these two littles and what blessings they are. I also love seeing how excited my three get for them to come over. Em had to feed Ashley her bottle, and Bennett and Auggie were of course on toy patrol. I am going to have lots of good help come October. 
Besides bringing the babies, Shar and Eric brought the kids a beautiful bowl of Dirt Cake! Worms and all. Em and Bennett dove right in...Auggie on the other hand was skeptical. Who would use real dirt and worms to make a dessert?? Thank you for the fun treat and night Schackmanns!
Sunday was a mix of getting stuff done and taking it slow. Doug worked in the yard, I sorted baby clothes (yes...baby clothes!!), the kids played with water balloons and swam all before it was time for school night showers and baths. Auggie and I also worked on his first homework assignment. I remember when Em did this assignment--it was decked out with glitter, her little drawings and all the colors. Auggie wanted his guy to be a baseball player with a red shirt, white pants and white shoes. I talked him into adding the baseball, bat and cutting his shoes to look like cleats. He is a simple man who knows what he wants, and I think it is the cutest little Auggie. 
And just like that it is the end of the week. Time flies when you are getting back into the swing of things.
This weekend will be a good one for us. Hoping it is the same for you!













Comments

Popular Posts