Theodore Douglas || One Week of You

On Friday, October 23rd at 5:33pm we welcomed our son Theodore Douglas into this world. 
And our lives were changed forever.
He is blonde, chubby-cheeked, cuddly, hungry, sleepy, sweet and perfect.
He is truly a gift from God (which is exactly what his sweet name means).
We knew baby was coming on Friday, and the excitement and anxiousness in our house was real
This is our last picture as a family of five. Doug and I dropped the big kids (this phrase now includes Bennett) off at school and Sharon's and headed to the hospital. I know from talking to their teachers that Em and Aug told everyone that Friday was the day!
Friday could not have gone better. I know we were covered in prayer from friends, family, my students and colleagues and even Emery's classmates; she had added me to her class's prayer list for the week.
All were felt and so appreciated. 
And they all worked because at 5:33pm Theodore was born into Doug's arms and placed on my chest where I immediately fell head over heels in love.
I mean just look at him!
8lbs 7oz 20.5 inches long. Our biggest baby by just a few ounces. He was bright eyed and quiet for the first few hours of his life.
He has gotten a little louder since then but not by much. 
Our hospital stay was unlike any other we have had...no visitors. And while Doug and I were very sad that the kids could not come to the hospital to meet their baby brother, and we know the grandparents hated staying away....we will admit it was nice to just have it be the three of us. 

This picture might be my favorite. I already think Doug and Theo have a special bond. After Theo arrived and Doug officially had a child named after him, he said to me that it felt pretty special to have a namesake. I could only answer that it is very, very well deserved.  Theo and I (and Em, Aug and B) are blessed to have such a man in our lives.
We ended up staying at the hospital for two nights due to a heart murmur (which is thankfully gone now). We were very glad we stayed as a precaution....but we were also very ready to get home. 
We had a few others ready for us to get home too...
This was what Doug and I saw when we pulled into the drive way. Best welcoming committee ever! Em, Aug and B didn't even know I was taking this picture...those smiles are purely for Baby Theo!
This moment right here is one I will never forget, and I hope they don't either. 
Six.
The big kids were so sweet and excited. Bennett even attempted to talk quietly (which has since very much gone out the window). Theodore you have no idea how much you are loved.
Nana, Grandpa Jim, Grandma Susie and Grandpa Sammy all got to meet Theo on Sunday too. He isn't spoiled or anything already. Emery Kayt took some of her own pictures because on Monday she happened to have show-n-tell, and there is no cuter show-n-tell than a new baby brother! Her teacher emailed later to let us know how excited she was to tell her classmates about him. Best big sis ever (but we already knew that).
Since Monday we have been learning and adapting and enjoying this new life of ours. Em is a baby whisperer and the best bottle giver. We told her we think Theodore acts like her (or maybe this is just wishful thinking haha). When I look at this picture I can't unsee how big she is all of a sudden. Our daughter...the boys are lucky to have you.
Auggie has been the one to surprise me most. This week he earned the nickname "Baby Hog Aug". He wants to be the first to hold him and talk to him, and he always calls him Theodore or Teddy which I love.

After they found out baby was a boy (because of our extra night in the hospital we ended up telling them over the phone), Nana drove them past the hospital so Doug and I could wave out the window. On the way there Auggie must have all of a sudden shouted, "Welcome to life Theodore!" and that has been our little family saying ever since. 
Bennett Lee calls him "Peo" and when we told him on the phone that he had a new baby brother named Theodore he yelled, "What!?! I thought his name was Pop Tart!" which instantly had Doug and I in tears laughing. Come to find out after calling baby Pop Tart for the last 9 months, B truly thought that was the name. So Theodore, Theo, Teddy, Peo, Pop Tart...who knows what this kid is going to be called. 

Bennett is sweet and attentive to Theo when the other kids are, but other than that is still living his same old, I do what ever I want, lifestyle. He is also clearly not a baby anymore...I am hoping Theo doesn't grow up as fast as B did....I also know that that is wishful thinking. 
It was so weird on Monday when the big kids were all out the door first thing in the morning. So quiet and calm. This will be my first maternity leave of just me and baby...no other littles running around. Unapologetically, I am very, very much looking forward to it. Another plus is Doug working from home; he will be able to pop out and see Theo (and me). Thursday morning, after a few not so easy mornings, I captured this sweet moment. It was our first morning of zero tears and each kid got to hold Theo before they were off to school. I know they won't all be like this, but this tired Momma needed that sweet morning. It is not lost on me whatsoever how lucky and blessed Doug and I are. 
We are so thankful for all of the help we have had this week. Meals have been brought, kids have been entertained, gifts have been given. Nana is a pro by now working behind the scenes to get done whatever I need (she might take some cuddle breaks along the way too). Thank you all....you know who you are. You know how to make a family feel very loved.
Today marks ONE week of Theodore. 
Theo you are are such a sweet, easy baby. You wouldn't even know you were here. You like your paci, the bouncy seat and your Momma's arms. You remind me of a little tree frog with your legs tucked up. Pat your bottom and give you a paci and you are good to go. You are drinking 2-4oz depending on your mood and waking up every three hours at night right now. In between feedings you don't make a peep. We are starting to see your big bright eyes more and more and I officially want you to stay this little forever (but I also can't wait to see who you are).
You are one loved little pumpkin Theodore Douglas!




















 

Comments

Popular Posts