Life, Love and Snow

It's been awhile since I just wrote about our everyday. Simple, sweet memories; the everyday ones. That might be because our everyday has been a little busy since the addition of Theodore. But then it snowed. This week's weather didn't just usher in snow, it brought us that slowed-down lifestyle again. And it gave me the chance to look at my littles and again see the things I don't want to forget.                    Weekend Couch Crew is the best crew. Bennett is our earliest riser. On weekends (and many week days), I  first hear the bedroom door slam open, then the shuffle of footy-pajamaed feet, and then I feel him crawling on top of me--directly in the middle of the bed, with his arm around me, is his ultimate goal. This would be great if he would fall back asleep. Instead he wiggles (nice way of putting kicks and hits) until Doug or I can't take it anymore and we send him out to the front room with the promise of his pick of cartoon. Auggie used to be the one that came in to cuddle, but now he is the first one to get the remote. I see where I rate. Emery is our only late sleeper (a girl after her mother's own heart). I wonder if she stays in bed because it is the only time she gets alone...My favorite little morning person is this guy. Just recently he is ALL smiles ALL the time. Big smiles plus baby stretches....it doesn't get any better. Seriously. The arched back, the big bottom lip, the little grunts. I don't mind waking up early if its for those.    I recently said out loud the words: I have three sons. I have three sons. Even still it puts a smile on my face and a pitter-patter in my heart. Already raising three sons is no walk in the park, but its the most fun I have ever had. Auggie has grown up so much since Theo arrived in October. Literally his pants are high-waters (might as well wait for shorts weather now), but the length of his legs are not what I am talking about. The big fits of anxiety are few and far between. He soaks in everything we tell him and has a million follow up questions. His love and attentiveness to Theo (and even Bennett) has made life sweet and easy(ier) these last few months. He is still my lover boy with big emotions and he is growing up so fast. Bennett Lee is the goofiest, grin-iest (not a word but it fits him), and most care-free kid there can be. His listening skills are a whopping zero, he can't stay in bed to save his life and he won't slow down long enough for me to kiss him--but he makes us smile just by waking up in the morning. He talks through all of that too. Which I have to remind myself is such a blessing. He and Auggie are very different. The big question is....who is Theodore going to take after. I sincerely hope he is just the perfect mix of the two and that they have a lifetime of fun together.   I have a daughter too. Thank goodness I have a daughter. Emery does so much for us. Will you hold Theo for a minute? Will you help Bennett put his pjs on? Will you read Auggie's homework to him? She does all of this with zero complaints. Sometimes I forget that she is only seven. Right now she loves reading graphic novels, she loves school (eight straight A+'s on spelling tests for the win), she loves squishmellows and she loves her Baby Theo. Really she loves all of her "baby" brothers and they love her. Speaking of love, Happy Belated Valentine's Day! I know some think its a silly little holiday, but I love silly little holidays. At our house you ask someone to be your Valentine. Nothing is assumed. Auggie asked me to be his Valentine this year (no surprise there). I am afraid he only loves me for my money because he then told me he wanted a Hot Wheels Parking Garage...which would run me about 80 bucks. How about a book about dinosaurs, a kiss and some candy. For a week he told me he knew what he was getting me. On Valentine's Day he handed me this. He wanted to buy me flowers but didn't get a chance. In this case the thought is for sure what counted! I have a keeper!  I handmade the other Valentine in my life a cheesecake this year-just like old times. He (and the cheesecake) is also a keeper. At supper that night we each went around the table and had to say what we loved most about each other. There were moments I almost teared up; they were so sweet. Bennett said he loves Emery because she is nice to him. Auggie told Emery she always makes up the best games to play. Emery appreciates Daddy helping her and teaching her new things. Douglas loves how much I do for our family. I love the joy Bennett brings. We all love how cute Theo is. Then there was the moment that made me laugh. Everyone was doing great until it was Auggie's turn to say something about Bennett. He thought...and he thought...and he thought. Finally he stated, "This is really hard....I just can't think of anything..." I know that sounds bad, but it really was so funny and telling of their relationship sometimes. Best friends one minute and enemies the next. All in all I think we all felt a little extra loved this past weekend.Our long weekend together turned into a week and I couldn't have been happier. Don't get me wrong, I love my job. But I love a snow day. Perk of being a teacher: snow days for life! This meant Couch Crew for five days straight. It also meant crazy hair and the same pjs for five days straight for some...looking at you Emery Kayt.These four braved the cold for an hour or so of sledding at the neighbors. This is the most snow they have ever seen; I hope they remember Daddy pulling them in the little red sled.Em stayed out the longest. She doesn't get cold I don't think. She even took her fresh out of the oven cookie and hot chocolate outside.  I don't know which excited Auggie more...playing in the snow or getting to wear Reuben's camo hand-me-downs. And now that I think about it...his favorite part of the day might have been the hot chocolate I had ready for him. Whatever it was, I love this smile on his face. Bennett is smiling here, but I would not say he was the biggest fan. Mostly because there was so much snow that he couldn't walk. When I asked if he wanted to go back out the next day he quickly responded with "No...I just get stuck."    I went out in the snow only to snap a few pictures...I was very needed inside. A.k.a I had a baby boy to cuddle. I think Theodore may have fallen in love with me over the long weekend. Daddy used to be number one but not anymore. I just look at him and he grins this big goofy grin. We spent every afternoon of our little snow break on the couch cuddled under the heating blanket. As much as I can, I'm going to soak this boy up. Today was back to normal except for this one. What I thought was just a bad mood yesterday morning became a strep diagnosis in the afternoon. Poor Auggie boy. Luckily meds work quick. He stayed "home alone" while Douglas worked and by the looks of my house, he did plenty to entertain himself. Now I am just hoping he is the only one.

Today felt like a Monday...but tomorrow is already Friday which means more Couch Crew, more cuddles and more chances to look at my littles and again see the things I don't want to forget.   





























Comments

Popular Posts