Perspective

I always get a bit antsy this time of year. Maybe a bit pessimistic. A bit stuck. The newness of the year has worn off. Summer seems out of reach and the days pass monotonously. 

Feelings and thoughts of the dark and down variety are weighty. Without knowing, they can seep into every part of life. They can make okay days hard and hard days even harder. Its difficult to see the light when the days are short.

But (because there is always a but) the days are already getting longer. One evening this week, folding laundry, I looked out my finger-smudged front window to see the sun still setting. I hate folding laundry. I also hate finger smudged windows. But my perspective changed when I saw that light.

What a blessing short winter days are. They make me appreciate the green of spring, the long fun of summer and the beauty of fall. What a blessing my laundry is. Stains and unmatched socks mean life has been lived and memories have been made. What a blessing those tiny finger prints are. How sad will I be when they are no longer at my waist level? How lonely will I be when I only have mine and Doug's to wipe away? 

Its all about perspective. Its all about looking for the good.

Its a sleepless night with my three month old...that gives me some extra cuddles and time to pray.
Its a hard-won battle with my three year old...that reminds me (even in my frustration) how much I love him (and how much I appreciate Doug). 
Its a reminder of a loss...that brings me sweet memories or reminders of God's love and provisions.

“Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything; tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank him for his answers. Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about.” Philippians 4:6-8. 

In February of 2018 my Grandma had me write this verse down as she shared with family her cancer diagnosis. Every year since I find myself going back to it. Three years later I need it now just like I needed it then. I love to think that God planted these words in my Grandma years ago only for her to nourish them and bless me with them. And I promise to keep nourishing them too. I promise to look for the good.

Its all about perspective. 

Heavenly Father, allow us to see this world, ourselves, and others the way you see us. Give us your perspective. May we live to be Christ-like and be glad about it.
Amen.
And just a little blue-eyed blondie to brighten this Monday for you. You are welcome!









 

Comments

Popular Posts