Memories and Traditions

I love traditions and I love memories. Big events seem to go hand in hand with these. Christmas time is steep in tradition; I look back at big vacations with fond memories. But it seems like the older my kids get the more the simple days seem to turn into the best memories and its those little seasonal traditions that I look forward to most. Summer is so full of these sweet moments. I guess that is why summer is so sweet.
We went strawberry picking this week; I think this is our third summer going. I have fond memories of helping Aunt Linda prepare the strawberries for the Strawberry Fest when I was a kid, and I love that picking strawberries has turned into a little tradition for us.  Nana went with us this year, and I am positive these are the best berries we have ever picked. 
Emery dressed the part and of course was the best picker. She takes her time and only picks the best ones. 
Auggie was very proud of this strawberry in particular; he never lost track of it. Last year Auggie picking to this year Auggie picking it is very evident that he has grown up. Surprisingly there was no running and jumping over the rows of strawberries this year. 
Bennett picked a few green strawberries and then proceeded to sit down and eat the ripe ones I picked. His little red stained fingers are my favorite part of the day. 
This guy just chilled like this. Showing off those baby blues. Next summer he will make everything difficult...but we will still go strawberry picking. We picked the most we have ever picked (thanks to Nana) and came home to make four strawberry pies, three jars of jam and cut up plenty to just eat. We might turn into strawberries.
Friday I headed to Southern Illinois with my three best friends from high school. Yes, from high school. I don't talk to or see any of them near enough and yet when we get together it is like no time has lapsed. When talking about my own life memories, these girls have to be included. We have gone through so many fun, good times together and I am better for having them in my life. We have also gone through some really, really hard times with each other and honestly it is these moments that have really changed me for the good. We are all very different and yet the same, and I am so glad we decided to book something for just us. I know these three will agree that we just made a new tradition. 
First stop Friday was the wine trails. The pregnant one of the bunch had to take the picture ha! We took our time catching up all afternoon before heading to our airbnb. I love wineries, laughing and telling stories so this was the perfect afternoon (minus the weather).  That night we talked and laughed some more before heading to bed at 9:30. What a crazy bunch we are! Our first nights stay can now be added to some of the funniest memories between us four. Lets just say we were all up for different reasons around 1am and were happy to see our home away from home in the less scary light of Saturday morning. 
Saturday we did Garden of the Gods, ate a picnic big enough to feed us and our 13 children, and stumbled upon a trail and creek all to ourselves that had the clearest water--all while talking and learning more about each other. Thank you 101 Questions to Ask Friends on a Road Trip. 
Saturday evening we played a few games (and did not beat Kaci), ate at a local joint on the river (and did not get sick from moving on the water), and hiked 1/3 of a mile (which was more like 2 miles) down to the Ohio river that was right outside our place. 
The view was worth it. 

That night we enjoyed our back porch and again were in bed before 10. 
Sunday we did the Ferne Clyffe Waterfall trail before heading home. Finally we found some sun and it was glorious. Some of our husbands told us to plan our next trip while we were on this one and sadly we forgot. But I don't think any of us will let another year go by without planning something for just us four. Adding this whole trip to some of my fav summer memories and my new favorite tradition list. 
Leave it to a mom of four to need time away...but miss her kiddos like crazy by day three. But who wouldn't miss this squish? Also shoutout to Douglas for being the fun parent while simultaneously not destroying the house too much--you da best. 
I got home on Sunday in time to change clothes and make my famous summer corn salsa before heading to the lake for supper and a boat ride. Nothing screams summer to me more than these four on a boat with the sun setting behind us. Hopefully this can happen lots this summer.  I feel very fortunate (thank you Joe, Patty and Chuck) to get to make these lake memories with my crew. 
Today I finished out May with my 31st mile this month. A month ago I wanted to show myself consistency, dedication, enjoyment and progress, so I set out to run 31 miles for the 31 days in May. And I did it! The real question is what do I do next...I mean there is always that Half Marathon just waiting to be checked off my bucket list....


Its been a week of old traditions, new ones and lots of memories all ready...and summer just started. 
Tomorrow is June and I already know its going to be a good one. 



Comments

Popular Posts