Birthday "Week" Fun


My family has always done birthdays up big. There aren't really that many of us, so it was an easy excuse to get together and make someone feel special. Looking back I think my Grandma had a lot to do with that. I have lots of fond memories of DQ ice cream cakes and pork burgers at Grandma and Grandpas, and my Mom has always spoiled the boys and I on our special day. Back when it was just Emery and Auggie, Nana and I coined the term "Birthday Week". We did something a little fun everyday since they had summer birthdays. Flash forward to two little boys later (with fall birthdays), and a whole birthday week is hard to come by. But I like to celebrate. So now its all about finding ways to sneak in a little extra fun all week.

Auggie's week had the perfect amount of extra fun sprinkled in. 
Monday night had us at the ball park for Em's game. We decided to forgo concession stand snacks and instead did supper and ice cream at Homewood. The first Homewood of the summer. They don't have tables out so we were the large family sitting in lawn chairs in the back of the parking lot. Doug told Auggie he could have whatever he wanted and he picked the "Shark Attack". Little did we know it was huge. We had a very happy (and full) boy on our hands. 
The calendar showed that only Auggie and I were going to be home on Tuesday. That doesn't sound like birthday fun to me. Instead we had his very best buddy over for a playdate. Boys only. They played basketball, set up hot wheel track, taught each other about farming and fishing, ate an entire cheese pizza and then played some more. When I packed them up to take Russell home I heard Auggie sweetly say, "I had fun today with you Russell". He relied, "I had fun too."
Be still my heart. 
Tuesday we officially started putting candles in everything (its a tradition). First up...a Dominos box. Doug's idea of course. 
Wednesday morning Douglas surprised us with donuts and candles (not sure why I said surprise...also a tradition). Emery and Bennett were just as excited as the birthday boy himself.  
Wednesday afternoon was party prep. Auggie requested baked potatoes, so he learned how to make baked potatoes. And a lot of them. Nana washed them but then Auggie poked holes in them, wrapped them in tin foil and but them in the oven. Everyone that came to the party would agree that he makes a mean baked potato!
Auggie went with a dinosaur themed party this year (target for the win on the cutest decorations), and thank you Nana for getting him the cutest cookies. Can you tell in this picture that he had waited all day for his party?!?
He got the perfect gifts. He asked for the Hot wheels ultimate garage (for two years now) and cash to get his Daddy a truck. He got both (well maybe not enough cash to buy a truck yet). We ended the evening with cake and ice cream and playing outside until after dark. We had some very happy, tired and sweaty kids at bedtime. 
Thursday was play with our new toys and put the house back together day. Both successful. This sweet lap full makes my days so easy. He could not be any sweeter, and I am soaking him up this summer as much as I can. 
Emery was actually gone from 8:30 to 4 every day this week for Theater Camp. It was so weird not having her at home, but she had a blast. Some of my fondest memories are from being on stage with my friends; I am so happy that Effingham has programs to get kiddos in love with the arts from an early age. The Jansen girls were in the same group (pays to have an Aunt Kim) and I hope to see them up on stage many, many more times.

Birthday week might be over but the fun isn't stopping. Lots of friend time this weekend with some real summer weather. Yes, please. 
Be safe and have fun. Thats our plan too!



Comments

Popular Posts