Busy and Slow

I saw something the other day that said something about teachers feeling like the 2020-2021 school year lasted approximately 14 years, yet summer break feels like its somehow almost over. 

I have never read anything so true. Weeks are busy with this camp and that to-do and the weekends seem to fly by even faster. I used to love to be busy. The busier the better. One thing the pandemic taught me though is that there is value and blessings in the slow. That is where I find myself this summer. Enjoying the packed days but really enjoying the restful ones. And maybe with more slow days the summer will too slow down...because right now I don't want it to end. 
We recently took a trip to Southern Illinois with some favorite Jansens. Southern Illinois has gotten to be my jam in the past few years. Let me hike, see some views and sit outside. This trip was our first one with Brad and Jordan; the kids loved it so much and of course so did the adults. We left with it decided that this is now an annual trip.
The first thing we did was go on a hunt for a waterfall. With eight kids in toe we made it through the woods and even over some fairly big rocks. It was hot and muddy but the kids were troopers. 
The long hike was worth the refreshing spot we found in the end. 
Theodore was a fan. 
That evening we did s'mores and country songs by the fire, and then everyone crashed. 
The next day the boys cut down a tree and chopped wood. Which sounds hot and not my cup of tea but the little boys loved it. I personally sat in a rocking chair on the porch and watched my husband chop wood like the manly man he is. Which is my cup of tea hehe. 
While the boys worked hard, the girls tie-dyed. Their shirts turned out so cute, and Em has worn hers almost everyday since.
By the afternoon we are all ready to cool off so we headed to the local beach.
Again, Theo was a fan. 
I couldn't not add this picture....you're welcome.

That evening we had the best supper and just hung out. Sat on the porch, took a side-by-side ride, listened to more good music, kids watched a movie. All good stuff. Now the question is when can we go back...I'm thinking a fall trip might be in order. Thank you Jansens for having us!
We had an easy, fun week planned this last week until Theo, Bennett and I decided to get sick. Bennett had a 24hr stomach bug, I had a fever for a day (I am such a wimp when it comes to fevers). Thank goodness for nap time is all I have to say. And Theo won for the saddest and sickest with a double ear infection, eye infection and worst runny nose ever. Booooooooo.
One fun thing planned was the first summer swim at the Newton Pool; our favorite place. Nana was brave and took all the big kids while Theo and I stayed home. She swears they were angels and I do believe her. 
After a few days of medicine all smiles were back! Just in time for a fun weekend. Friday night we had Sharon and Eric and Brian and Mara over for supper. I should have gotten a picture of the kids with Ashley and Brady--my kids were shocked at how big they are now! We cooked fried chicken sandwiches and did a dang good job at it. 10/10 would recommend. 
Sunday was Father's Day. Doug and the big two snuck out of the house to play some golf. I told Bennett they went the store...what a sad life my third child lives. 
That afternoon we went to Sam and Sue's and got to see almost everyone. The Jansens have not been all together in FOREVER, and it was so good to catch up. I know how much Douglas loves his family, so while I have not asked him this, I am guessing this goes down as one of his favorite Father's Days. 

If you need me this week I will be running kids to this practice or that, spending time with some friends. marking a few things of the to-do list, eating outside in this cooler weather and
staring at this picture of all my loves smiling perfectly at the camera.
Sounds like the perfect mix of busy and slow. 

























 

Comments

Popular Posts