First Days

We did it! The Jansens made it through two whole weeks of school. Our first days have been a sweet adjustment, and on this Friday I am happy to say that we are all smiles. This year marks 11 years of teaching for me and my fifth at St. A. I love my school, I love my students, I love what I teach and I love that I work in a place that I get to talk about (and hopefully show) my love for my Savior. My "big kids" as I call them are happy to be back too (at least not too whiney...high schoolers can be a bit dramatic sometimes). I think this is going to be a great year for the Bulldogs!

I know its going to be a great year for this Bullpup. Miss Em is in the third grade this year. Thats big stuff at St. A; upstairs, no more snacks, only one recess, switching a few classes, harder assignments...this girl is ready. Everyone in her class calls her Em because there is another Emery, she still refuses to let me do something other than a ponytail with her hair, she got a planner (and was just as excited as I would be if I got a planner) and she got to join choir! That is probably the highlight so far. She wasn't even in the van last week before asking me if she could join. Of course! She might look like her Daddy, but really she is me. I know she is a bit on the quieter side in class, but her choir teacher told me she really sings out loud and proud. She has even gotten to sing at church already! I hope this is the start of many years and many memories in music.   Third Grade...so far so good!

Auggie Boy is in the first grade this year. And to think I wanted him to stay in pre-school forever. We would have missed all of the fun in first grade! The only thing I had to buy new for him this year were his tall socks; he has only grown up. He lets me put gel in his hair with minimal complaints and picks out his own clothes every morning. His first assignment was to bring in a bag filled with things that would describe him. He picked out an orange hot wheels car (his favorite color and toy), a picture of our family (he might say he only loves me, but that is a big lie) and a potato. You read that right. The boy loves a baked potato. There have been a few anxious days, but those are largely outweighed by "awesome" days (he always tells me he had an awesome day) and for that we are thankful. I am also thankful for a sweet teacher and loving staff that keep an eye on him. He misses seeing Emery at lunch and recess, but I love hearing them catch up on their days when they get in the car after school. Forever best friends (I hope).
First Grade...so far so good!
Bennett had his first day of Pre-K just yesterday. He has been waiting for this since...forever. He wants so badly to be big like Emery and Auggie, and yesterday he was! I got to take him and pick him up; there were only big, big smiles on both trips. He told me he got to see Auggie a "bunch of times" which probably made Auggie's day more than his, and he wants to go everyday from now on. I have been worried about his speech and him not being understood, but his teacher assured me he did just fine. Mask and all. He will be so excited to go back next week. 
Pre-K...so far so good!!
Also...can we all agree that this is the cutest back-pack ever. Cutest back-pack for the cutest kid!
We have had a few other firsts too. The boys had their first fall soccer games. Again, Bennett wants to do exactly what his siblings do....he was tired of sitting on the sideline! He was so fun(ny) to watch and was a sweaty little mess afterwards. Auggie is one of the smaller kids on this team this season so doesn't quite dominate like he is used to, but he continues to gain more confidence with each game. Go boys go!
While we have had some really great first days, sadly we had our first school year sickness too. Not a fun first! Emery and Douglas were the only ones to not get hit with whatever it was, but in the grand scheme of the world right now, I can really have no complaints. Douglas gets home from a work trip today, the weather is cooler, we are all healthy, the calendar is pretty darn clear, and we have some special fun planned. In our little tiny corner of the world all is well. I am praying for those who can quite say the same.
 
Our first days were good ones, and I am thinking the next days, weeks and months will be good ones too. 
I hope they are for you too. 















Comments

Popular Posts