Costumes and Concerts and Candy, Oh My!

Oh my goodness we have been having fun. Between costume days to Emery's first concert, we have been busy making memories over here. And there is nothing I love more than a sweet memory.
Bennett Lee kicked it off for us with his Halloween Parade at school. He was a pirate with the best "arrrr" around. I love this costume a little extra because Grandma made it; my brother Austin wore it, Auggie wore it, and now B! Give it a few years and Theo will wear it too. Bennett remembers nothing; therefore, these festive few days have been extra fun because of him. He should be tired just from his excitement. 
I had been looking forward to Friday for what seemed like forever. And for good reason. 
I was going to be Alexander Hamilton! In American Literature we start the year off with a deep dive into Hamilton, and my kids know I love it a little too much. I decided to go all out this year for our dress up day, and I am so glad I did. My students couldn't believe I was Alex and yet should have seen this coming. Who knew being a Founding Father could be so much fun!
Auggie was my little police officer and even got to visit my school Friday afternoon. I love our school and all the little fun memories it gives our kids. Friday night we cuddled on the couch and watched some of Casper. We were ready for the weekend's festivities!
D came over for a boy day Saturday, so we could take our big girl to her very first concert!
Girl had been waiting since July for this day. She knows every (and I mean every) Lauren Daigle song by heart and rarely gets Doug and I all to herself--of course she was pumped! She packed an entire book bag of who knows what for the car ride (very on brand for her) and quietly read a book the whole way there (also very on brand). 
We headed to St. Louis early to do a little shopping. I recently bought Em a cute pair of sneakers to match a pair that I had. Girl moms out there...how old before they stop thinking that matching you is cute? I wanted to capture our cuteness which was a total sane thing to do...
Until I realized that Doug was capturing us too. Just two girls with matching shoes...nothing to see here!
For supper we fed the girl meat! She thought she wanted pizza, maybe a burger...but then Doug mentioned ribs and it was decided. What can we say, she is our little carnivore. 
After supper it was concert time!! When we walked into the venue, Em's eyes went wide. They went even wider when the light show started and Lauren hit her first note. 
If you like Lauren or simply like some contemporary Christian mixed with an old hymn here and there, go see Lauren Daigle! She somehow sounded even better in person and just came across so fun and sweet. Em and I (and even Doug) knew every song except for a few newly written ones, and it was impossible to not just feel good after that evening of music. It was good for the soul.
We had a very grateful girl by the end of the night. Also a very tired one. She slept all the way home. 
Sunday was officially Halloween.  We decided to brave the cold and go to the parade. Theo was content eating smarties and pointing out any animal he saw. The big three were expert candy gatherers by the time we were done. The best was of course Bennett. Just so dang excited. 
Then we ran home for a quick change into our family costume...do you know who we are??

We decided with a son that looks (and acts) like Dennis the Menace, we had to be the cast!
Oh my did we have fun doing this too. 
Margaret: You know why men are so lousy when it comes to taking care of babies?
Dennis:They have better things to do.
Margaret: Like what? Play golf and drink beer?
Dennis: No, like hunting, having wars, driving cars, cleaning fish. Do you know how to do that?
Joey: Me?
Dennis: Margaret.
Joey: Oh, okay.
Margaret: If you didn't have women, you wouldn't have babies, which means you wouldn't have people.
Joey: And if you didn't have men, who'd drive the ladies to the hospital?
Dennis: Too Hot???
George Wilson:  How come you ask so many questions?
Dennis: I've only been around for 5 years. There's a lot of stuff I don't know.

We might have had a little fun quoting this old movie too.
Theo was supposed to be Dennis's trusty dog, Ruff...but he kind of looked like a raccoon/skunk/animal-thing. Oh well, he was extra cute no matter what.
We did a Halloween themed supper with friends and then trick-or-treated on their street. The first time we did this Bennett had just been born...so I would say this is officially a tradition. 
The kids got so much candy. I guess everyone was feeling festive and generous this year. The big three mastered saying "Trick-or-treat!" in unison (and Doug and I mastered reminding them to say thank you). Theodore slept like this. The entire time. 

We got home just in time for bedtime; however, judging by how our morning went, not any early enough bedtime. Tonight we will eat candy and relax. And maybe watch a little Dennis the Menace.






















 

Comments

Popular Posts