And Just Like That

And just like that...we are already one month into this new year. 
One month of slow Saturday mornings with our couch crew. Anyone else's kids wake up earlier on a Saturday morning than they do during the week? Theodore seems to be the only one that knows the art of sleeping in; the boy craves his bed I swear. My perfect Saturday morning includes sleeping in, my robe, Douglas-made coffee and going big on breakfast. January has allowed this to happen most weekends, so clearly this year is off to a good start. 
This month has brought us a little extra fun and some new favorite memories. Tickets to the Harlem Globetrotters and staying in a hotel was one of the favorite Christmas present's this year. As the kids get older, events, trips and memories are on their list more often then toys. I love it. We all loved the Globetrotters, but the boys definitely had the biggest blast. They got new basketballs with autographs and a new found love for dribbling and trick-shots. After about a day I banished basketballs to the basement.
Em would say she loved the hotel part the most. Heck, even as an adult I love staying at a hotel. I am always reminded that sometimes the simplest things are the most fun. 
Auggie Boy had a little extra fun this month. We had family tickets for the Illini, but it was covid-cancelled. Aug cried. One thing about the pandemic...littles (and bigs) are getting a hard lesson in disappointment. Later in the month Doug surprised just him with a night of cheering on the orange and blue. The boy's month was made--they even won!
As I mentioned before, our weekends have been fairly slow which is great...until your kids have cabin fever and secretly so do you. We found some fun close to home last weekend at the Workman Center Pool. It was like a sauna and a bath combined (which is my kind of swimming). Theo was an absolute fish which just makes me so excited for this summer. You will find us in the pool if you need us. You are also welcomed to join. January has had the perfect amount of big events and small days of fun. Again, this year is off to a good start. 
I know the same cannot be said for so many, but January has ushered in one of our more healthy months. Sickness of all kinds seems to be relentless right now, and as I find my prayer list piling up with friends and family under the weather or stretched too thin, I also whisper a prayer of thanks for our wellness and this reprieve of a month. January has allowed us sweet visits with my Grandpa, last minute visits with friends and perfect attendance at school. I of course hope that this sense of a break continues for the foreseeable future (and not just for us Jansens...everyone needs a break it seems). 

January has been a blessing; all days are. 

But January has also brought with it so much heaviness for some. As I look back and smile on this month, I also feel sad and overwhelmed for the people who can't wait for this month or even this year to be over already. Today I pray that whatever you need, whether it is the continuance of how things are or for the complete opposite to happen, I ask that you receive just what you need. January is done, and there are new days ahead. 

Prayers and love being sent out all over,
Ashley













 

Comments

Popular Posts