Snow Day(s)!

I always tell my students that I really became a teacher because of the promise of Snow Days. And I am only slightly kidding when I say this. 

I love them. I love the anticipation, the little pause they bring, the something new to do. When snow is in the forecast, I become just as giddy as the kids. I religiously check the weather on multiple websites and apps. Whichever site gives us the most snow...thats the one I wholeheartedly believe in. 
So you can imagine my excitement when I checked the weather at the beginning of last week. 
Snow!!!
We ended up with three glorious snow days. 
I have such sweet snow day memories. Making snow forts out in the field with the boys, riding all day in sleds behind Dad and Austin on the four-wheeler, stopping in at Bob's Hardware for a Goody Bar and a moment by the wood stove. My children's memories will be different; nevertheless, they will be just as special. 
While I love the snow, I should mention that I don't actually want to be out in the snow. I am the parent that will have warm homemade bread, chicken noodle star soup and hot chocolate (with extra marshmallows) ready for you the minute you come stomping in. Douglas is the actual fun parent. He spent hours outside with the boys building snow ramps and pushing them down the hill "just one more time". 
When I say boys I mean the big two. This one ventured out once with me, and then we came back in where we belong. 
Emery was the real snow bunny of the family. She played with her brothers and then headed into town to spend the day with some of her besties. I hear they lived outside. Em's wild hair, lasting smile and big tired eyes were proof enough for me. Fun, fun, fun. 
I did end up making a new snow memory. Ammon's husband, Troy, is apparently more extreme (i.e. crazy) than every runner in Effingham. He went for a morning run on the trec trail--just a nice easy run on 6 to 8 inches of untouched, powdery snow.  He said it was amazing. Somehow I was then double-dog dared to get out there too. Fine I'll go...but only if Ammon runs along with me. 
Neither of us would ever describe the experience as amazing. It was like running in deep sand while also having your face freeze off. We were slow and the run was short...but it was pretty and something we can check off the bucket list. Not that it was ever really on it to begin with!
While the snow run was not one of the smarter things I have ever done, filling the weekend with delicious food and treating ourselves to "snow-garitas" was in fact very smart. When not outside, we ate lots of brownies and peanut butter pie (thanks Nana!), watched Encanto and the Olympics and played board games and cards. All some of our favorite things right now. 
Couch crew enjoyed our extra slow mornings together that the snow gave us. 
Until next time (next year???)!









 

Comments

Popular Posts