Our Easter || 2022

I have very fond memories of Easter. I can still picture Duane Cisney reaching up on his tip-toes to help him hit the high notes of "Up From the Grave He Arose" as I sat in the back pew next to my Grandma. Eyes and little voice following her finger as she pointed to the words in the red Baptist Hymnal. I remember the Easter baskets, three in a perfect row, waiting for my brothers and I to discover. To "ohh" and "ahh" over. I can see my parents' and grandparents' smiles (and probably hear Austin's impatience) as we wait for Avery to slowly find his hidden-especially-for-him eggs in the yard at the end of a lane in Hidalgo that so many other memories were made in. It is all sweetness and love and happiness. And that is Easter. 

It wasn't until I was an adult, even in these last few years, that my mind and heart seems to linger more on the days leading up to Easter. As we read the Passion of Christ last Sunday, I couldn't keep from asking myself over and and over which part I would have played. The jubilant welcomer? The feet washer? The accuser? The denier? When I think about the short time and all that happens in it from Palm Sunday to Good Friday, my mind has a hard time comprehending the hatred and ugliness that manifests. How quickly Jesus was turned on. How quickly he was wrongly accused, abandoned and despised. And of course there is the question of why. Why did He die on that cross?

On the other side of His death and that day, there is a different kind of incomprehension for me. The word is simple, but the magnitude of it is not. It is Love. Jesus died for love. As I wrestle with all that this season means to my faith, I realize I can't have one without the other. Jesus was crucified and died for me because He loves me. He rose again on the third day, He lives (!!) and has made a home for me in Heaven because He loves me. 

I read a quote this week by writer Fredrick Buechner that really spoke to my heart. I feel like it brings Easter to me as a needed everyday reminder, not a once a year celebration: 

"The Resurrection means the worst thing is never the last thing." 

It reminds me that this life will not always be sweetness and love and happiness. But in Christ we know there will be sweetness and love and happiness. And that is Easter. 

Easter 2022 was lovely and really started last weekend. We had Jansen Easter and I took zero pictures. Just imagine lines of tables full of family that has missed getting together. Imagine Aunts and Uncles making plates for little kids that aren't theirs, big cousins holding babies, Grandma Susie making sure all kids have an equal amount of candy filled eggs, lots of catching up and the yummiest food that was pretty much gone by the time the line was thinning. All of that means it was a successful get together. 
Easter "Break" started on Wednesday afternoon when Doug and I busted out the door headed for St. Louis and more importantly the Fox Theater to see Hamilton! A few days before I had casually mentioned to Doug that Hamilton was opening at the Fox. Five minutes later tickets were bought and a hotel room was booked. We were gone for exactly 25 hours and they were the best 25 hours. 
Nana held down the fort. I know they colored eggs, played outside and stayed up late eating popcorn and watching any movie that had a bunny in it. 
I was told Theodore only really liked the outside and popcorn part. 
Over the next few days we worked outside. Leaves are gone, the sandbox is fresh, the patio is set up and most importantly, the trampoline is up!!! The kids have been waiting patiently since Christmas to jump...and they have not stopped since Saturday. Already I know this was the best gift ever. 
Easter Sunday Em sang in Church. I loved looking up to the choir loft and barely seeing heads of her and her friends standing in front of some of my fave big kids at school. All joining voices to sing on such a special day. I look forward to many, many more years of hearing Em's voice from the choir loft. 
We thought Auggie was going to fall asleep in church; I was worried he was sick. He was quick to blame the trampoline for his weariness. A nap on the way to Austin's (and a little candy) perked him right up. He and I sorted all the candy when we got home and even matched up all the eggs so they are ready for next year. We are learning that he loves a little one on one time...even if it is "work".
Bennett has had the very best last few days. He would live on the Trampoline if we let him. He would also live off of Starbursts (and Nana made sure to fill plenty of eggs with them) if we let him. 
And sweet Theodore, runny nose and all, has just been busy trying to keep up. I want to remember that he proudly said "ball" every time he found an egg. I also want to remember those cheeks and chubby fingers. Just look at them. 

Our Easter was sweet. Just like mine always were. I am just so thankful for this and for our Risen Savior's big, big love. Happy Easter!









Comments

Popular Posts