Seen and Loved

 Just a sweet little story I don't want to forget.

The day before my Grandpa passed away I woke up and knew I couldn't go to work that day. I just wanted to be with my Grandpa and my Dad, so that is what I did. I had meant to pack along a book to read, but a quick glance into my school bag revealed no book. It's only contents were my Bible and Bible Study. What better way to pass the time then to hold my Grandpa's hand and read my Bible. 

The scriptures for the day focused on the promises of God, particularly the promise of peace. The last scripture of the day spoke on the peace that is our promised rest. As I held Grandpa's hand I read Matthew 11:28-30.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. 

I read these words over and over and over. I prayed this promise over my Grandpa. I remember thinking what a sweet invitation this is. He is a God that gives us rest of mind, soul, body, confusion, sadness, worry, fear...and he gives us rest from suffering and death. As children of God, we should find comfort in knowing we have salvation rest; rest that guarantees an eternity in Heaven. I also daily need the reminder that we have peace and rest right now, today. 

At church we occasionally sing a song called Home in Me and the chorus repeats the line "Your yoke is easy, your burden light". This became my song for the next 24 hours. I couldn't stop the lines from playing on repeat in my head (and from coming out of my mouth). I found continuous comfort in this scripture and song in the coming days.

Fast forward to my Grandpa's funeral. An old, soft spoken preacher and friend of my Grandpa's got up to give the message. After a sweet story about my Grandpa's effect on his life he opened his Bible. He went on to ask all of us to truly listen to the scripture he was about to read and to take it to heart.  

And then he read Matthew 11:28-30. 

I know my mouth had to have dropped open. Doug nudged my side and whispered the question, "Isn't that what you studied at your Grandpa's this week?" I wanted to hop up and give that sweet old man a hug (and I did after he finished preaching). His words just made me feel so seen and loved by my God and my Grandpa. 

Grandpa's funeral was on Tuesday; at school we go to church on Friday. It had been an emotional week, and as I sat there in a haze, I was happy to have made it to the end of it. As communion started the cantor announced the communion hymn....Home in Me. I think my mouth dropped open again. I sang my heart out (with a few tears in my eyes). 

Today I walked into school and this beautiful hand painted picture was sitting on my desk (this picture in no way does it justice- it is gorgeous). A little note sat on top--a sophomore girl thanked me for a good year and told me she had wanted to make me something. The tears came fast and heavy. I again felt loved and seen by God and by Grandpa. I also felt overwhelmingly blessed to get to spend my days in a school where I can talk about my faith and my family. I will forever cherish this picture and all the feelings it brings with it-love, peace, comfort and rest. 

Thats my sweet story. So I don't forget. 


Comments

Popular Posts