Celebrating the Boy

The last couple of days have been all about celebrating the Boy. The Auggie Boy! 
Back when I just had my two summer birthdays (E and A), it was easy and fun to have what we called "Birthday Week". Life is a little too hectic now (and what would my October birthdays have to say) to do a whole week of celebrating, but we are always sure to sprinkle in a little extra fun around birthdays.
At our house we put candles in everything. Aug's birthday eve called for a sparkly number 7 I had kept from Em turning 7 placed perfectly in my delicious honey lime chicken enchiladas (yes, you want this recipe). I love this smile.
Thursday morning was more traditional; donuts from Daddy.
Auggie decided that he wanted to celebrate his birthday in Newton--lunch at the Freeze and an afternoon at the pool. He invited his two best buddies, but sadly one was sick that morning. While Aug was bummed, he was also so excited about his day. Auggie, Bennett and Grant were fish, and it was fun to have a big boy day with them!
The evening of Auggie's birthday was just real life. He had ball practice, Em had a ball game and the closing performance of theater camp. And I had to bake a cake! A rather large one at that! Aug wanted a baseball field birthday cake. Easy. I got it in my head that I needed at least a 16 inch cake pan, and of course Aunt Linda knew right where to find one (it pays to have a friend that used to make wedding cakes.) 
Three cake mixes, an hour of baking, and lots of green icing later, Auggie Boy was impressed with his baseball field cake. Pretty sure it could have actually fed enough people at a wedding.
Friday night is when we actually partied with family. This cute kid had to wait alllll day (his words).
In the end he would say it was worth it. He got all the perfect presents--a new bike, all kinds of baseball things, a real tool box. My boy who usually wants it all and then some was sweet and content and so happy about all of his gifts. It was the perfect evening. 
Theodore agreed. Mostly because he was tall enough to touch the cake and steal cookies. 
The fun continued Saturday. We went to Bennett's t-ball game and came home with three extra Jansens. A buddy for everybody! They swam, they played, they stayed up late. 
Monday Auggie received his final birthday present from us; a new Cardinal's hat...that he got to pick out at a Cardinal's game! It makes my heart skip a little beat to look over in the stands and see Aug taking in everything he sees (while asking Doug a million questions). Seven year old Auggie is going to be a fun one. 
The game was hot, but it was a lot of fun. I am still complimenting my big three for how well they behaved. These three (and Doug and I) have been blessed to see lots of Cardinal games, and it is past time that I say thank you to the Linders. They have treated my Mom to tickets over the years, and I hope they know they have been put to really good use. Lots and lots of memories have been made at this ballpark. Thank you Nana for taking us this year (and all the other years!). Thank you Grandma Susie and Grandpa Sammy for keeping Theo. We joked that the fourth kid might never get to go....
Friend time, family time, pool time and a Cardinal win. This boy got everything he wanted and more (I haven't even mentioned his Daddy's new truck haha). Auggie sure is one loved little boy!





 

Comments

Popular Posts