Happy Fourth!

Happy. That is the word I would use to describe our 4th of July weekend. We did things that make us happy, we were with people who make us happy, we ate food that makes us happy (yes, I think food can make you happy). Everyday had its little moments and its big, and happiness was found in all of them. Or maybe it was the combination. 
All I know is its hard not to find happiness when I am with my crew. 
We kicked things off on Friday afternoon. There is not much that makes me happier than my husband telling me he will probably be home early on a Friday. Woo hoo! Believe it or not, Friday was the first time this summer that Theo and Doug swam in our pool. The big kids and I do daily, but it is always during nap time to make life easier for me. We decided it was time for all the Jansens to go for a swim! 
 The kids were so excited to get to swim with Daddy; I am old news. I think their happiness set the tone for the whole weekend. 
Early Saturday morning Doug and Chuck golfed and then made it home just in time for patio brunch. See that smile on Doug's face...I think out of everything this weekend, trying out his new Blackstone made him the happiest. When I said we had yummy food this weekend, I mean we had really yummy food this weekend. 
You know what makes me happy? This kid and his smile. 
Also, mimosas. 

After brunch, a few to-do's, a nap (I had two glorious ones this weekend), we headed to the lake. It isn't the 4th without a little lake time for us. One of Auggie's best friends surprised him and came to swim for a little bit, and I got to see my best friend Kaci and her family for a little bit too. These things don't usually happen, so everyone was extra happy on this boat day. 
Sunday was the 3rd and that is normally when we go to the lake for fireworks; however, this year we opted for a big pond party with lots of friends instead. I am so glad we did. I just always love how easy it is to relax when I am with this group. I also am very appreciative of how welcoming the "other" Jansens have always been to us. 
Everybody was happy at the pond because everybody had either their favorite person or favorite thing to do. Em and Charlee swam until dark and only then decided it was probably time to eat some supper. 
Aug has a new found love for paddle boards this summer and is always happy to give little ones a ride. Younger boys always think Auggie is just the coolest and he of course eats it up.
Just let Bennett swim. He doesn't need other friends, he does't need goggles (and he would like to not have on his floaties). He just wants to be in the water. 
And this one. Happiness to him is getting to do, have, eat, etc. whatever the heck he wants. Ugh...I just love his so much. 
Monday we had made plans to go fishing with Uncle Avery and Nana was going to bring us a picnic. Auggie has been begging to go fishing on Ave's boat for a year now, so saying he was happy about our plans would be an understatement. Doug and the boys went out with him first and were gone for much longer than I thought they would be...which I took as a good sign. Sure enough they came back with big smiles, big stories and a big fish that Aug caught! 
Next up was us girls. Sunning on the boat and getting splashed with water must be more for us because we caught...one little blue gill. We did see a friendly raccoon, lots of blue herons and managed to lose a lot of worms though. I am still going to say our little fishing and picnic day was a success.
After naps for all and yummy smash burgers on the Blackstone for supper it was finally time for fireworks. We have sat at Sacred Heart for quite a few years now, and I love how much our little pod of people have grown. The kids run around, adults visit, and Aunt Kim always brings the glow sticks. I was all excited to see what Theo would think about the fireworks; I just knew he would love them. I wouldn't know if he did or not...the boy fell asleep. I guess our weekend of late nights caught up with him. Bennett however is our fireworks lover. He told us as he was falling asleep last night how much he "wuved" the grand finale (which did not at all sound like grand finale in Bennett talk). Bennett is always pure happiness, so seeing anything from his eyes will make you happy. 
Closing with this picture makes me happy too. We all decided to channel our inner Theodore. Might be a framer!

Douglas asked me what we were doing today and the answer came quick: nothing. As happy as our full weekend made us, a day at home with nothing to do sounds good too. 
I hope everyone had a happy fourth!





Comments

Popular Posts