Last Days and First Days

It happens slowly. 

It starts with organizing closets instead of riding bikes. The clock strikes 8:30 and all are in bed instead of piled on the couch watching "just one more show". Mommy's voice becomes the alarm clock and the morning skies are a bit darker than they have been all summer. You can feel that the last days of summer are here. There is much to miss about summer; its' slower pace, its' leniency, its' memories made. But there is so much to look forward to on those first days too. And even more in the days beyond.  

I will miss my mornings of sunrises, heavy breathing and laughter. (I will not miss the humidity). My girls and I put in the miles this summer, and we are better for it-mentally and physically. I never ever would have dreamed that I would not dread waking up early (I didn't say like it, just not dread it), but I really enjoyed the rhythm our routine fell into this summer. I am excited for cooler weather though. This fall will bring fun races and more running and beautiful sunsets instead. 

I will miss this view or a view like it; Theodore cuddling with whoever he decides to love the most that day. I will miss the mornings that the kids wake up slowly but eager to play together, those mornings where everyone gets along and has a part to play. I will miss scooping Theo up from his nap and feeling his warm cheek against mine. I will miss a quiet house while the big kids swim and the littles nap. But nothing beats the hugs I get from Bennett and Theo when I pick them up from Sharon's. Nothing beats a school year weekend when we just want to be together, doing anything, just together.   

 

I will miss sneaking away to best friends, impromptu play dates, getting ice cream because we want ice cream, swimming instead of bathing, tan skin (with white little butts), and dirty feet. I will miss supper outside, having no plans and being caught up on laundry. But now I remember my love of cozy sweatshirts and s'mores around a fire. A glass of wine Friday night after a successful week of school sounds lovely, and the kids have already been talking about our first snow day. They can slow down a bit...but it is fun to think about. 

I will miss those last days. The summer of 2022. But our first days have already been promising. 

Believe it or not, Auggie has been the one in our house most excited for school to start. When I picked him up on the first day he said with a smile: "We didn't do anything really special or fun...but I just had the best day ever." He is still rocking tall socks and requested a mohawk for the second day, but he is braver and more outgoing than last year Auggie ever was. 


Emery is me. She really, really loves summer; she really, really loves school. Both are filled with friends and books and fun. As I left her room last night I noticed a piece of paper taped to the wall. In her not so neat handwriting is a sweet little morning schedule. I think she just wants to do better, learn more and enjoy everything this school year. Also, how cute is her new spunky hair!?


And all is well for me too. I get a bit more just big kid time during the school year, and I must say having big kids is the best. Especially these two. 


We have already made it to the first Friday!
For three whole days we have been on time, excited and happy to work together to make our lives run smooth. Now to keep this up...

I hope everyone had some great first days! Here's to the days beyond!


















Comments

Popular Posts