Last Little Trip || Southern Illinois

I am a calendar girl, a schedule user, a to-do list lover. Always have been and as life gets fuller, I am guessing always will be. I am also a fun seeker. While I might write out a daunting to-do list, if a chance of fun presents itself, that to-do list can get lost real quick, schedules can be adjusted and I can clear my calendar with a push of a button or strike of a pen.
 That is what happened this last weekend. I was going over our calendar last week and realized that not one single thing was on it for the weekend. A totally free weekend was upon us, and the only one of its kind before school starts. I paused. Do we buckle down and get a few things done? Or do we getaway, unplug, enjoy each other and have a little fun? 
We picked the second option. Well I picked the second option and it didn't take much to talk Douglas and the kids into a little trip to Southern Illinois either. We didn't realize how much we needed this view, a little fresh air (the weather was absolutely perfect), and some just us time. We had the best last little summer trip. 
We made it to Garden of the Gods for a picnic supper and sunset hike Friday evening. The three big kids have been to Garden of the Gods, but that was in 2018; the memories of it were lacking. It was fun to watch their faces as the wide open sky, miles of trees and rock formations came into view. Our pictures and smiles might look relaxed and serene, but don't let mine fool you. I was way more nervous than I thought I would be when we first arrived. Auggie doesn't stop running and loves to lead the pack (right off a cliff) and Bennett is an accident waiting to happen fall off a cliff at all times. Add in a toddler who doesn't love holding hands...this Momma needed to breath. Luckily, we found our groove. We went slow, did a lot of taking turns, sitting down and holding hands (and a lot of "nicely" reminding the boys to listen or stop while simultaneously telling myself to chill). 
An evening at Garden of the Gods ended up being perfect (after the groove was found)--we had the place to ourselves, enjoyed the warmth of the rocks as the coolness of the evening settled in, and no one fell of any cliff. Theodore's first hike...mark it as a success. 
Saturday morning Doug got up for an early run while I drank coffee on the porch and the kids ran around in our dewy yard. I heart slow mornings and the chill in the air had me ready for fall. I might love summer, but I am always ready for fall. After a big breakfast we headed out the door for a day of hiking, swimming and kayaking. Rim Rock was our first stop. I was way more chill this hike and the words "you can go run up ahead" even came out of my mouth. 
We explored every nook and crevice we could find before heading back to the van. This little boy was such a little hiker. We had the stroller for some of the hike or offered to carry him, but like always, Theo had to be doing whatever his siblings were doing. We did talk him into riding on Doug's shoulders on the way back; this is him almost asleep. 
Rim Rock was a few minutes from our next stop-Pounds Hollow Lake. Here we ate a picnic lunch, swam, played frisbee and kayaked. The kayaking was my little surprise for the kids; they have fallen in love with it this summer. I decided we need to be a kayaking family. This afternoon into early evening was my favorite part of the trip--it was happy and relaxed and no one wanted to leave. 
Thank God for little boys with sandy toes.

After our full day away, we planned to just stay "home" for the rest of the evening. We had tacos and margs, played yard games, built a fire and enjoyed homemade brownie-nutter-butter blizzards (so good). Everyone went to bed full, tired and with a smile on their face. 
Sunday we headed back to Effingham, but we don't go to Southern Illinois without a trip to Ferne Clyffe State Park. Its our favorite place to explore with kids. We had to stop. As a family this was our third trip here. 
In 2020 we came during Covid Lockdown. 
In 2018 we explored on our first real family adventure. 
And this year we added this guy. He makes everything and all of us better.
Emery Kayt thrives on making memories, taking care of her brothers, sleeping in and yummy food. According to this list, this was the perfect getaway for her. 
Doug and I think Auggie is going to be a trail runner someday. He just doesn't stop running and jumping and he has to be the one that sees "it" first. He got to do lots of his favorite things and while sitting on a rock taking a break he sweetly stated, almost to himself, that this trip was really fun. 
Bennett loves everything. He is happiest when dirty, a little sweaty and free. This trip he was Daddy's boat buddy, a pretty good helper and never needed a band aid. So all good things for him. 
And Theodore proved himself as a toddler (although I will forever and always call him Baby). He did exactly what everyone else did and made us laugh the entire time. We all love you the most, Theodore Douglas. 
Jansen's last little trip for the summer was just what I had in mind when I crossed off to-dos and wrote in fun on the calendar. It was a reminder to unplug, look up at the stars, count my blessings and thank God for the beauty and sweetness He provides us everyday. 
Until next time. 







 

Comments

Popular Posts