Miles, Minutes, and Memories

The theme of this past weekend: Miles, Minutes, and Memories. 
This group of crazy people all ran 13.1 miles on Saturday. We ran far and hard and up hills we didn't know were going to be there, we shaved off more minutes than we maybe thought possible, and we made memories that we will look back on and laugh for a life time. We are sore and tired, but we might be crazy enough to say we would do it all over again. 
Dana is the reason we found ourselves in Louisville, Kentucky at the Urban Bourbon Half Marathon. This is the race she trained for in 2020, but Covid shut that dream down, and she raced by herself in the middle of nowhere. This summer we all slowly jumped back on the running train with the idea of maybe checking this race off her bucket list. We knew the stars were going to have to align for six busy adults to train for a half at the same time. 11 kids between us, jobs, sicknesses, injuries, crazy schedules...many things stacked up against this race for us, but at some point we were all in. It was going to happen. 
And happen it did! The three boys ran their best races. I am always blown away by Eric and Troy's speed and in this race even more so. But the cute guy in the blue is who I am real proud of. Training was not on his side. A frustrating mix of work travel, running injuries, sicknesses and a bad case of poison ivy had Douglas not necessarily as prepared or excited about this race as he wanted to be. Five years ago he finished his first half in 2:08; deep down he really wanted to be under the two hour mark, yet that goal didn't seem likely. But then the man ran! He finished with a time of 1:52, happily surprising us all (and himself!). I am so glad he raced so well, and I am so glad I have him as my number one fan. 
The boys were not the only ones to run fast and have fun. Dana and Ammon kicked butt. Dana got faster and faster as our training went on and even upped her time goal right before the race. I am so proud of her. When we saw Ammon at the finish line she yelled out in true Ammon form: "this is so much fun!!", which at mile 13 can only mean she had ran the best race. I am so proud of her. As for myself, I wanted to be under 2:30, and I wanted to finish with a smile on my face. I finished at 2:28 and you guessed it, a great big smile! I shaved 26 minutes off my half marathon time from last November. And for all of that, I am proud of myself. 
I actually take back the stars having to align because the stars had nothing to do with it. God gave us the perfect race day. He gave us early mornings and hot afternoons. He gave us stamina, and grit, and laughter, and our bodies. He gave us each other. At church on Sunday the readings and homily were on gratitude. In all things, everywhere, giving thanks. What a perfect way to end our race weekend, with a thankful heart for all God has given us-miles, minutes and memories. 

















 

Comments

Popular Posts