Theodore Douglas || Two Years Old

You know the book with the toddler boy on the front cover who is mischievously playing in the bathroom with toilet paper scattered all around? You know--the light blue book that no parent has ever read without mist in their eyes and a lump in their throat? Or if you are like me, the book that your children bring to you, but you refuse to read because you know the tears will start flowing before the boy hits adolescence? Yeah, that one.That book is all I can think about when I look at my baby Theodore on the eve of his second birthday. 

“I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.” 

Theodore Douglas. You get called a lot of things at our house; most of them ending in baby. You are our angel baby, our toy baby, our forever baby. Easy should be your middle name though. As long as you get to tag-a-long (and mostly get your way), you are so content and easy. Getting your way is not a problem because everyone in our house is obsessed with you. We all want to be your favorite. If we ask you who you love, your answer is always Daddy, but lately I would say Bennett has taken over the top spot. Most evenings the house is full of the sound of you two laughing in your bedroom. I don't know what you are doing (smart mothers know to stay away when things are going good), but I pray wherever you two are that joy would always follow. You are silly, stubborn, smart...but I can't say that you are sweet. I want nothing more than to hold you and kiss you; you want no part in either. We all beg for a bedtime kiss or a little couch cuddle, and your answer is always no. You don't have time I guess. You are too busy helping yourself to water from the fridge, getting on the top bunk, or swiping whatever your siblings have. Now that I think about it, none of your favorite pass times make you sound like the angel baby we think you are. Maybe we just have rose colored glasses, but in our eyes you can do no wrong. Your speech has taken off. You are in the always fun mimic-anything-anyone-says phase. Your first sentence was "It's messy" referring to our basement (#truth), and this first sentence is actually very fitting for you. You like things a certain way; shoes go in your bin, coat needs hung up, pick up time is your jam. Honestly, you have probably put the dishes away more than your siblings have. I think you just see how our little world works, and you want to be right there in the middle of it. Being left out is simply not an option. You love bananas, Elmo, Blippi, and whatever toy Bennett has. You would push our old toy mower around all day. Or kick a ball. Or ask for "nene and nack" (aka candy and snack). You sleep like a rock and wake up the happiest a baby has ever woken up. You make us smile-morning, noon and night. Like I said, our angel, toy, forever baby.Theodore, you are a gift from God. A gift of laughter, love, selflessness and grace to our family. Bringing you home is one the happiest days of my life and a favorite memory to replay as I see you grow and become just what we all needed. 

Tomorrow you are two. But today you are my baby.

Happiest Birthday P. Love ya. 

Comments

Popular Posts